User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Considering a pre-owned 6.7 diesel with 33k miles. Pondering the decision.

Good day. I've searched around for an hour or so, but still feel compelled to start yet another discussion on the topic. Although, this topic has been covered many times over, I still feel like discussion is part of the reason we as humans visit forums; so, in advance, I appreciate your indulging me.

Off we go: I'm looking at a 2017 CC, LB, FX4, DRW, 6.7 with right at 33,000 miles.
    Carfax shows 1 owner, everything in the green, but no dealer service records are listed; that's something I've grown accustomed to looking for, although I enjoy performing my own maintenance and understand that others do as well.

Here's what I know from talking to the dealer and from personal observation:

• The air filter appears to be more than 3k miles old, so I'm going to assume that the 30k service has not been performed. There's ~$500 that it needs.
    • It has the original tires. I'm guessing another 5k miles on them; 10 if I really wanted to run them down (I don't). They appear to be evenly worn, so I assume regular rotations were performed. There's ~$1,500 that it needs.
    • Where SUPER DUTY is stamped into the hood, there appears to be paint that flaked off the bottom of the D. Maybe 1/8" wide by 1". It doesn't look like a scratch, as it's on the raised portion of the letter. Looks like a paint defect... may or may not be covered under warranty... I'm going to assume it won't be. Probably $1,500 for respray... although I'd probably just hit it with touch up paint. It's not ever going to roll across the block at Barrett Jackson.
    • Although it has the factory 5th/goose prep, the PO (previous owner) apparently installed traditional 5th wheel rails, so there are a couple extra holes in the bed.
    • PO had a toolbox, so the plastic rails on top of the bed are scratched up. There's ~$200 to replace those.
    • PO was a retiree that used the truck to haul their rig between TN and FL.

Aside from those items, the truck is exceedingly clean.

Other options of note:
    Dual pane moonroof
    Upfitter Switches
    Lariat Ultimate Package
    Surround View Camera
    Spray in liner
    Tailgate Step

Dealer is asking $57k.
    I feel like deducting the $2,200 in needed reconditioning/maintenance is a pretty reasonable ask. Perhaps another $500 off if I negotiate hard. If I can get it for the right price, this seems like a significantly reasonable deal vs buying new. It's the color I want with some options that are nice to have, but not something I would specifically seek out (moonroof) if I were ordering a new one. I've owned 3 older diesels (96,99,03 - All Cummins), but am a tad concerned about newer EGR equipped models.

Also considering a leftover 2019 Ram Laramie DRW non-HO CC, 4x4 for $64k. This potential $10 in "savings" is quite attractive, assuming it ends up being a good buy.

Any thoughts, comments, discussion?

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just as a reference point here. In June of 2017 I bought a F350 Dually King Ranch (a 2016 model) and it had 29,000 miles on it....a bit high for a year and a half old truck, but I also knew that I wouldn't be putting a lot of miles per year on it.....so I knew the mileage per year total would come back down and be in line with average or less than average the older it got. So now, it's a 4 year old truck with 43,000 miles on it. When I bought the truck as a "one year old" truck, I paid $52K for it. I have a copy of the window sticker and it listed for slightly over $72,000. I don't know if that helps you or not, but basically gives you something to do a bit of comparison on pricing. And the tires are OEM tires and look like they have maybe another 5-7K miles left on them, although I will replace them long before our trip out west in Sept. of 2021.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like most issues are cosmetic, I bet the paint flake was from a rock or something. I wouldn't respray the hood, maybe a dab of touch up paint. The 6.7 is a great motor, especially any after 2015. If you do get it, just replace air filter, oil and oil filter and both fuel filters than you can reset the clock on maintenance. You will have to keep an eye on tires and can remove the 5th wheel rails if you want to use the puck system. I havent researched prices lately, so you should see what others are paying by using sites like Truecar or KBB and see how its priced compared to no haggle places such as Carmax. By your description, I wouldn't have any concerns purchasing that truck provided its priced appropriately.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't let any of the items you explain keep me from buying it.

Pricing is a different issue. Use whatever tactic you want to try to get the dealer to lower the price; maybe get them to do an oil & filter change as well as new fuel filters, that'll save a few bucks for you. But do some price comparison first. Truck Trader is a good place to see what things are selling for in your area. And you can always refer to Gibson Truck World too as a reference point.

The nice thing about the 2017 is that is lower to the ground than the 2018's and up and the fuel mileage is likely better than what you get in the newer years.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See if the dealer will negotiate a Ford Extended Service Program (extended warranty) as part of the deal. I bought a 2106 used similar SRW truck with 35K and the warranty has saved me some serious money. WITH a warranty, I wouldn't hesitate at all if you can negotiate a fair price.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think you need to justify an offer of $55K for a truck that the dealer is trying to sell for $57K.

Just make the offer, and if you're concerned about the 30K mile service, tell them $55K plus a 30K mile service.

Or, if comparative pricing indicates $57K is a decent price, then agree to that, but say you want new tires and the service.

I actually would probably offer 52K and see what they say... no need to "justify" how you came up with that number.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DieselDork View Post
    Good day. I've searched around for an hour or so, but still feel compelled to start yet another discussion on the topic. Although, this topic has been covered many times over, I still feel like discussion is part of the reason we as humans visit forums; so, in advance, I appreciate your indulging me.

Off we go: I'm looking at a 2017 CC, LB, FX4, DRW, 6.7 with right at 33,000 miles.
    Carfax shows 1 owner, everything in the green, but no dealer service records are listed; that's something I've grown accustomed to looking for, although I enjoy performing my own maintenance and understand that others do as well.

Here's what I know from talking to the dealer and from personal observation:

• The air filter appears to be more than 3k miles old, so I'm going to assume that the 30k service has not been performed. There's ~$500 that it needs.
    • It has the original tires. I'm guessing another 5k miles on them; 10 if I really wanted to run them down (I don't). They appear to be evenly worn, so I assume regular rotations were performed. There's ~$1,500 that it needs.
    • Where SUPER DUTY is stamped into the hood, there appears to be paint that flaked off the bottom of the D. Maybe 1/8" wide by 1". It doesn't look like a scratch, as it's on the raised portion of the letter. Looks like a paint defect... may or may not be covered under warranty... I'm going to assume it won't be. Probably $1,500 for respray... although I'd probably just hit it with touch up paint. It's not ever going to roll across the block at Barrett Jackson.
    • Although it has the factory 5th/goose prep, the PO (previous owner) apparently installed traditional 5th wheel rails, so there are a couple extra holes in the bed.
    • PO had a toolbox, so the plastic rails on top of the bed are scratched up. There's ~$200 to replace those.
    • PO was a retiree that used the truck to haul their rig between TN and FL.

Aside from those items, the truck is exceedingly clean.

Other options of note:
    Dual pane moonroof
    Upfitter Switches
    Lariat Ultimate Package
    Surround View Camera
    Spray in linerc
    Tailgate Step

Dealer is asking $57k.
    I feel like deducting the $2,200 in needed reconditioning/maintenance is a pretty reasonable ask. Perhaps another $500 off if I negotiate hard. If I can get it for the right price, this seems like a significantly reasonable deal vs buying new. It's the color I want with some options that are nice to have, but not something I would specifically seek out (moonroof) if I were ordering a new one. I've owned 3 older diesels (96,99,03 - All Cummins), but am a tad concerned about newer EGR equipped models.

Also considering a leftover 2019 Ram Laramie DRW non-HO CC, 4x4 for $64k. This potential $10 in "savings" is quite attractive, assuming it ends up being a good buy.

Any thoughts, comments, discussion?
    Well a 2017 with 33K? That's not to far off if you figure 15K a year. Sounds like normal wear and tear with visual inspection. Ours is a 2018 and now has 36K miles, and I have not taken it to FCA for service, even the 30K Aisin trans service, they want way too much, huge markup priced to service it. They wanted $700 just to change the Aisin transmission fluid, BS! I used 7.5 quarts of Mobile 3309 and changed the fluid easy for $45. There is a factory sticker on the side of the Aisin transmission that says use Mobile 3309 fluid. I have done all the service myself using FCA parts, oil, air and fuel filters, all purchased through Amazon and kept records, so ours would not show any FCA service either.

A couple extra holes in the bed, would not be a big deal for me. The EGR emission systems & DEF? If you want a newer truck with newer higher ratings like payload, you will not be able to get away from the new emissions systems for diesel engines. They all have them. Some may have a better track record than others. I would not advocate removing the EGR and emission systems. I know some do. You would have to put it back on here in Texas every year to get it safety inspected, that is the very first thing they look for. One thing I am sure you know, diesel's hate dirt! dirty fuel, dirty oil, cheap DEF, substandard service parts used will greatly effect the engine and its systems longevity.

Ratings - Any options added takes away from payload so just make sure it has way more than enough for what ever you intend to tow. $52-54 is cheap compared to what they go for around here in Texas.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Although it has the factory 5th/goose prep, the PO (previous owner) apparently installed traditional 5th wheel rails, so there are a couple extra holes in the bed."
    Just curious on the difference as I would be inclined to swap my rail type hitch over when I get a new truck...any pics or reference material? The Ford site didn't help me much.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    by the sounds of your description, it sounds like you have a good truck sitting there waiting for you.
    Get the price and any other additional service and or extended warranty that you feel comfortable with and you will have yourself a deal.
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2013 Ford F250 Super Duty, King Ranch, 6.7 Diesel, HD Tow Package
    B&W Companion Slider RVK3405
    Timbren Rear Suspension Enhancement System R250SDG
    Titan 50 Gallon Fuel Tank