User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Add 40HP and 85lbs torque by email

I have a 2016 F250 with a 6.7L diesel that I use as my daily driver and for towing our 5th wheel. Yesterday I installed a "tune" from 5 Star Tuning that added 40HP and 85 FT LB of torque. The tune took about 5 minutes to load and it transformed the truck. All of the transmission shift points have been modified and the truck feels much more alive and ready to go. It no longer shifts into 6th at 40mph and holds the gears on he hills without hunting for a lower gear all the time. I took it for a 75 mile round trip on the highway to play with it yesterday and my mileage is up a couple of mpg as well. Temps seemed to be the same.

I used one of 5 Star's tunes on a Class C we had with the Ford Triton V10 gasser in it a few years back and it transformed the truck so I was anxious to see if it would be as positive on my diesel. Yep. It's great.

I think it is really amazing that a company can email you 40HP for $125. (I already had the programmer)
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This sounds interesting. I have never installed a tuner, is it very difficult? Have you towed with the new setup?
    John & Cindy
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS
    2018 Ford F250 6.7 PSD

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnww View Post
    This sounds interesting. I have never installed a tuner, is it very difficult? Have you towed with the new setup?
    I have not taken the rig out yet but based on my butt-ometer it should be better. More torque is hard to beat and they adjust the electronic throttle position sensor so that you are not torque limited at lower rpm.

I am VERY happy with the transformation.

As for install, it is a piece of cake. Hookup the programmer and hit a button, wait 5 minutes, drive your new sport truck away.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a 5star tune on my ecoboost f150 years ago and it made a big difference, I’ll elaborate on it. At about the 3k mile mark, my wife and I were returning from a weekend trip to Las Vegas, NV. We were climbing that grade from Kingman to Flagstaff when the cold side of the intercooler blew apart. Apparently, it was crimped a little too much at the factory. Long story short, Flagstaff ford was booked, we both needed to get home so I temporarily repaired it at Autozone and we limped it back. This also ended up causing the left turbo to fail and dumping a bunch of oil. Ford warrantied everything but performed a reflash and it was like losing 100 hp and 5mpg. They claimed it was a simple reflash and the truck was running as it should but I could certainly tell a difference.

Just wanting to get my truck to run like it did from the factory, I tried a tune from 5star. I instantly gained the performance back and then some. Unfortunately, the good mpg never fully returned but I did gain a mpg or two with the 5star tune. I would totally recommend them to anyone. I wish they offered tunes for the Tundra!
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Double cab

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those that want to add a "tune" to their motor, IMHO the Banks Derringer is the way to go. This piece has some unique built-in safety features to protect your motor. Watch the video. Gale Banks talks about how some of the other tuners don't have safety bypass software in their tunes to protect the motor should something go wrong. He also talks about how some tuners going about getting their results - mainly adding in more fuel.

https://www.bankspower.com/i-2881-de...er-stroke.html

Quote Originally Posted by JColeman View Post
    I have a 2016 F250 with a 6.7L diesel that I use as my daily driver and for towing our 5th wheel. Yesterday I installed a "tune" from 5 Star Tuning that added 40HP and 85 FT LB of torque. The tune took about 5 minutes to load and it transformed the truck. All of the transmission shift points have been modified and the truck feels much more alive and ready to go. It no longer shifts into 6th at 40mph and holds the gears on he hills without hunting for a lower gear all the time. I took it for a 75 mile round trip on the highway to play with it yesterday and my mileage is up a couple of mpg as well. Temps seemed to be the same.

I used one of 5 Star's tunes on a Class C we had with the Ford Triton V10 gasser in it a few years back and it transformed the truck so I was anxious to see if it would be as positive on my diesel. Yep. It's great.

I think it is really amazing that a company can email you 40HP for $125. (I already had the programmer)
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a look here, very informative.
    https://www.spediesel.com/

No more exporting files, emailing, importing new files, updating SD cards, etc. With this cloud-based system, your device will sync via WIFI or LTE, therefore all upgrades will be imported to the device wirelessly. Tuning is still done through the OBDII port.

EZ-Lynk Autoagent
    https://www.spediesel.com/collection...lynk-autoagent

This website is full of tons and tons of information.
    His equipment, builds, and "upgrades" are awesome.

11-things-tuners-want-you-to-know
    https://www.spediesel.com/blogs/blog...nt-you-to-know

Look at his Diesel Dragster https://www.spediesel.com/blogs/builds/spe-dragster
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2013 Ford F250 Super Duty, King Ranch, 6.7 Diesel, HD Tow Package
    B&W Companion Slider RVK3405
    Timbren Rear Suspension Enhancement System R250SDG
    Titan 50 Gallon Fuel Tank

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice video. Not going to dispute any of the claims, because I have not used any of those devices, but the Banks system sounds a lot like the Edge tuner I used on my 04 Duramax. Plugged in-between the current ECU and the engine. Intercepted signals, and modified them based on the ECU inputs. I really liked my Edge, so if this is anything like it, I am sure it is amazing.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    For those that want to add a "tune" to their motor, IMHO the Banks Derringer is the way to go. This piece has some unique built-in safety features to protect your motor. Watch the video. Gale Banks talks about how some of the other tuners don't have safety bypass software in their tunes to protect the motor should something go wrong. He also talks about how some tuners going about getting their results - mainly adding in more fuel.

https://www.bankspower.com/i-2881-de...er-stroke.html

I have had 5star tunes on 5 different vehicles and no issues. Mike at 5Star leaves all of Ford's safeties in place so you have no worries. They also make safe power not the most power..........
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You poor folks don't know what it was like in the hey-day. You once could order a PPE tune for a Duramax that added 480 HP and 800 TQ, you could get a Cummins 5.9 HO Smarty tuner or a Bully Dog with the "Pedaphile Race Tune" that made 600HP and 1300 TQ on a stock engine, and for Ford you would call Spartan Diesel or Innovative Diesel and add 300/700 to a Ford 6.4L. Those were the days. Rolling smoke off the tires in 4x4, doing 10 second 1/4 runs on 35" tires.... and destroying transmissions before you can burn a tank of fuel! We had tuners. Big, nasty power monsters that could change the rotation of the earth!
    2020.5 Reflection 311BHS Dual AC, 2019 Ram 2500 Bighorn Level 2, 3.73 / 392 Hemi 14,404.34 lb towing and 3,004.34 payload, 2019 F-150 King Ranch 3.5EB CC/LB, 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk, 2014 Wrangler Willys Edition, 2019 Iron Bull 14K 22' Equipment Trailer, 2019 Quality Trailers 7K 18' Utility Trailer

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Ram Ecodiesel is tuned and it is DRAMATICALLY improved over stock. MPG's are up about 4mpg's highway and the torque improvements make towing a breeze. The diesel has inherent advantages when towing anyway but add in the tune's braking improvements via turbo vane angle changes, different shift points and a transmission that now is responsive instead of sluggish makes for a new truck over stock. Also extended the mileage between regens and reduced DEF consumption quite a bit.

Don't know what I'll do when manufacturers completely encrypt the ECM's preventing adjustments as GM has done with newer Duramax trucks.

Bob
    2019 Imagine 2400BH
    Progressive Industries Hardwired EMS, RV Airflow, MicroAir EasyStart, MaxxAir Fan
    2021 Ram 1500 Bighorn EcoDiesel CC short bed
    Anderson Weight Distribution Hitch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast