Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need to calculate the power consumption for future solar installation

We are looking at the 23bhe and I planing to add solar. To plan ahead, we would like to calculate our power consumption. Does anyone know where I can find the electrical specs for the microwave, fridge, led lights, water pump, window fans, TV, awning, and the pop out?

Thank you in advance

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think before you calculate all that you also need to decide if you will be using an inverter or not and then convert the AC power usage to DC. For example an item that uses 3 Amps on AC will use about 10x the amount in DC power when inverting. Most electrical items have the power draw listed on the label or at least the wattage which you can convert to Amps. Other option is to get a clamp meter that measures Amps and power on each item and see what its pulling.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, on inverter.
    I don't have the RV so I'm unable to do all these testings.
    I want to plan in advance so I can let know my dealer what to install on my roof before I pick it up.
    I'm currently looking at the 380W Or the 570W by Go Power Solar. Obviously the bigger the better but the price different is significant so if I don't really need the 570W I rather go with the 380W -- to make this decision, I need to calculate power consumption in advance or they will the smaller one and upgrading later is about the same price is buying a new system.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh... makes sense. Hopefully someone with the same model as you can chime in. Not all models will have the same components and its important to figure out the loads on the different lighting circuits which will be easier for someone with the same model. If anyone isnt able to help, i suppose you could visit a dealer with that model and look at all the components and maybe even bring a clamp meter to test some stuff provided they have the camper plugged in, most likely not though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I caution against getting too detailed on your calculations. For many years I did energy analysis of lighting systems for commercial and residential buildings. You can only be accurate after the fact. Power meters do that work, but can't predict what you will do.

RV's have the same basic problem, TIME! If you run your microwave a few more minutes you can double its draw. If it's cool you run the furnace, but for how long? Same with lights, fans and such, to say nothing of air conditioning.

Then there's the solar side, but the same problem. How long is the sun up, but more importantly, how much power do you get each hour? Shadows and clouds just add to the variability.

Add up all the unknowns and one can rapidly decide the job is impossible. The best method is to measure your usage as much and as long as possible. A good battery monitor will help. Note how much power is used before you recharge. And then add a healthy margin for error!
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go Power has a pretty decent calculator on their web site. As you have already read, the trick is knowing the estimated consumption of your electrical devices. A trip to Home Depot and Walmart with a pad of paper can give a decent idea of power consumption of household electrical products.

We chose to not use Go Power solar products, though we are using their 3KW inverter. We went with this solar system: https://www.solar-electric.com/rvkit-018-960w-12v.html, along with three lithium batteries.

Overkill for a lot of people, but we plan to FT in our M399TH, and we should be ok for some extensive boondocking. If necessary, we can easily add a 4th battery.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't expect to run the AC, microwave, hair dryer ect off an inverter and batteries while dry camping. And since most of our dry sites are shaded a roof mount solar system doesn't work for us. I have dual 6V batteries and a 200W portable system I put together. In 2 weeks I had to run the generator twice due to multiple consecutive rainy days.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by velran View Post
    We are looking at the 23bhe and I planing to add solar. To plan ahead, we would like to calculate our power consumption. Does anyone know where I can find the electrical specs for the microwave, fridge, led lights, water pump, window fans, TV, awning, and the pop out?

Thank you in advance
    Velran,
    Send a PM to DaveathewsBand. I think he is pretty good at this stuff.

@davemathewsband Maybe he'll chime in here.

In the meantime, I find this a timely question. I was wonder how to measure my 12v DC consumption with thoughts of putting some solar on top and was wondering if I could just go ahead now and get an energy monitor (or whatever the thing is called that solar folks use to measure consumption). Of course I have the advantage here of already having my rig.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dave27 did a full sheet for his unit a while back. Advance search might find it.
    Bob and Cheryl, Puka the doodle
    2018 Ram 2500 Crew,Diesel,4x4
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2012 Palomino 6.5 camper