User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SF-SGM View Post
    Yes, I did that already cleaned, inspected, and greased the bearings but was wondering about the zero fitting as I read where it was for putting grease in the hub. As I said, the hub was loaded with grease. Much more than I ever would have suspected.

So are you saying to just grease the bearings, the races, and the spindle and let it go at that?
    Yes, there is absolutely no reason the cavity between the two bearings needs to be filled with grease which is what that zerk fitting will do. A proper handpacked bearing will be sufficient until the next clean, inspect and repack.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your assistance.
    Retired SF Sergeant Major
    Retired Sheriff's detective

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Yes, there is absolutely no reason the cavity between the two bearings needs to be filled with grease which is what that zerk fitting will do. A proper handpacked bearing will be sufficient until the next clean, inspect and repack.
    The, "fill the cavity between the bearings" is true for boat trailers where the axles are submerged. Its not needed on other trailers.

Two things to never do:

1. Use the grease zerks to add grease unless you pop the dust cover where you see the grease coming out around the front bearing.

2. Do not mix grease in any application. The soaps are often incompatible and can/will cause the grease to leach oil. If seen it happen often on boat trailers where grease is routinely added from the first available grease gun. Bad bearing and leaking seals are blamed when all that's left in the hub is leached out soap. If you start with red and tacky, keep using red and tacky.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivercityjeff View Post
    Well known issue. The LCI seal problem was aggravated by the syrup-thin grease Lippert used on the bearings. This led to brake contamination and possible brake failure.

Solution? Initial bearing service and brake adjustment, repeat annually. Red tacky grease works great!
    It was caused by the BULLSHIT EZ Lube and the fact the factory monkeys used a zirk and pnuematic gun to grease the rear bearings. NEVER use the EZ Lube lippert or dexter! Look up Haylett RV's youtube with Josh the RV nerd and the factory trained people will tell you what BULLSHIT the EZ Lube is, and BTW any idiots that think they are "refreshing" the grease shouldn't be working on anything let alone there wheel bearings because they don't have the apptitude for it. Pump new grease in and where in the hell do you think the old grease is going?

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivercityjeff View Post
    #10005 Lucas Red 'N' Tacky Grease. Available at Walmart and fine auto parts stores everywhere.
    That's the same grease recommended by Kodiak Disk Brakes.... That's what I used my mine.
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tgrinch View Post
    It was caused by the BULLSHIT EZ Lube and the fact the factory monkeys used a zirk and pnuematic gun to grease the rear bearings. NEVER use the EZ Lube lippert or dexter! Look up Haylett RV's youtube with Josh the RV nerd and the factory trained people will tell you what BULLSHIT the EZ Lube is, and BTW any idiots that think they are "refreshing" the grease shouldn't be working on anything let alone there wheel bearings because they don't have the apptitude for it. Pump new grease in and where in the hell do you think the old grease is going?
    I know I'm opening up a bag of worms but I've used the E-Z Lube system for years to flush out the old grease with new in between repacks and have never had a problem. By doing that I have gone as long as 3 years between disassembly and repack. Never had a bearing failure or seal failure. Be forewarned that if you grease your bearings using the EZ Lube then you have to make sure you follow the instructions. If done right the rear seal should never leak.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcrider2 View Post
    I know I'm opening up a bag of worms but I've used the E-Z Lube system for years to flush out the old grease with new in between repacks and have never had a problem. By doing that I have gone as long as 3 years between disassembly and repack. Never had a bearing failure or seal failure. Be forewarned that if you grease your bearings using the EZ Lube then you have to make sure you follow the instructions. If done right the rear seal should never leak.
    EZ lube is the Dexter product. Reading their instructions on their website they say to replace the rear seal with a new one before BEFORE using the EZ lube. I don't know how to replace the rear (inner) seal without a removing the bearings, so why not just do it right?

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EZ lube is the Dexter product. Reading their instructions on their website they say to replace the rear seal with a new one before BEFORE using the EZ lube. I don't know how to replace the rear (inner) seal without a removing the bearings, so why not just do it right?
    Not sure where you found those instructions on their website but their manual doesn't say anything about replacing the seal first on page 57-58. Also the following link will take you to a video that describes the EZ Lube system and it doesn't say anything about replacing the seal first. https://www.dexteraxle.com/resources...-z-lube-system You can download the complete manual here: https://www.dexteraxle.com/docs/defa...sn=cfe1e328_42 Go to pages 57 and 58 for instructions.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcrider2 View Post
    Not sure where you found those instructions on their website but their manual doesn't say anything about replacing the seal first on page 57-58. Also the following link will take you to a video that describes the EZ Lube system and it doesn't say anything about replacing the seal first. https://www.dexteraxle.com/resources...-z-lube-system You can download the complete manual here: https://www.dexteraxle.com/docs/defa...sn=cfe1e328_42 Go to pages 57 and 58 for instructions.
    I printed it out two years ago to show a friend whose trailer has Dexter axles, mine does not. I can't for the life of me understand why people won't spend two hours doing the job right? Do you bother to grease and inspect the suspension. I would rather spend four hours a year on this in my driveway than to take a chance at the side of the road somewhere in west Texas!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I printed it out two years ago to show a friend whose trailer has Dexter axles, mine does not. I can't for the life of me understand why people won't spend two hours doing the job right? Do you bother to grease and inspect the suspension. I would rather spend four hours a year on this in my driveway than to take a chance at the side of the road somewhere in west Texas!
    I'm doing the job right according to the manufacturer's instructions. Plus I perform an inspection of the suspension, wheels and tires before every trip I make. During the trip I inspect the suspension, wheels and tires at each stop. I also pay particular attention to any oil seepage at the back bottom of the brake drums. You can detect if the seal is leaking with a flashlight and close inspection of that area of the brake drum. In fact before every long trip I make I flush out the old grease with new grease. In effect my bearings get repacked two to three times a year. Note that I installed the Road Master Comfort ride suspension so no lubrication is required of the suspension. But I still do a through inspection of the suspension before each trip as well as during the trip.
    Last edited by mcrider2; 07-26-2020 at 10:38 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast