User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help with battery and MultiPlus install

Hi all! Hoping a brave soul would help shed some light on questions I have about how to connect the existing 12v wiring scheme when I replace the current Interstate 12v LA battery with new Battle Born 100A LiFePo4 batteries and a MultiPlus 3000 inverter charger. I have attached a depiction of the current 12v wiring scheme and photos for reference. My questions are:

1. Given I'll be connecting the + and - battery terminals to the MultiPlus, where do I connect the other wire coming off then frame ground? Bus bar?

2. 30A CB, I assume remains intact, with only the + terminal from the battery going to the Multiplus? Or, do I somehow incorporate a bus bar into this as well?

3. How do I connect the existing 30A shore power wire to the MultiPlus, as it wont reach the pass through right now? Use an EMS, splice or junction box?

Thanks all.
    Last edited by Famtraveler24; 07-12-2020 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Add attachments
    Famtraveler24
    2019 Ford Expedition Platinum
    2021 Imagine 2800BH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Famtraveler24, I installed similar equipment in my 2150RB so I can share how I did mine. I’m not an electrician but learned quite a bit doing my install. I added a hardwired Progressive Industries EMS also.
    1. Pulled out the WFCO circuit panel and disconnected the converter since the Multi replaces that function.
    2. Disconnected the 10 ga orange Romeo from the panel and connected it to the input side of the ems which I mounted on the floor beside the WFCO panel.
    3. Dropped the Coroplast and ran two lengths of 10ga romex from behind the WFCO thru the existing hole in the floor forward of the tanks then across the under belly and into the back side of the convenience center in the passthru. Drilled a hole thru the inside of the convenience center as my 3 batteries, multi and solar charge controller are all there.
    4. Connect one 10ga romex to the output side the EMS and the other end of that wire to the AC in connection on the Multi.
    5. Connect the other 10 ga romex to the AC1 output on the Multi then at the other end to the WFCO where i removed the original romex from the shore power source.
    Next comes the batteries.
    6. I have 3 Battleborn 100ah batteries connected with 2/0ga cables to bus bars I made from 1” x 1/4” copper bars about 7” long and used 3/8” stainless bolts for terminals.
    7. Used 4/0 ga cable from negative bus bar to a shunt then to the negative 12 volt terminal on the Multi.
    8. Used 4/0 ga cable from positive bus to a switch rated for 350 amps then to 400 amp ANL fuse (might put fuse before switch as time allows) then to the positive terminal of the Multi.
    Total distance between Multi and batts is 3 feet.

Now when I plug in shore power (or genny which I don’t have) the power goes thru the EMS first and if it’s within limits it passes to the Multi. The Multi, depending on the switch will stop the current if off, charge the bat in Charge only mode, Invert 12 volt to 120volt in Inverter only mode or both Invert and Charge as the power sources change and the loads rise and fall. That hybrid functionality is remarkable.

I also have a Midnight Solar mini DC Disconnect between the batteries and the Multi that houses another 250 amp breaker in the positive line between battery and Multi, positive and negative bus bars, and 4 DC breakers for two solar charge controllers.

I use a BMV-712 to monitor the battery state and a CCGX to control things and provide ability to monitor and control the system from the internet. The new Cerbo GX wasn’t available when I did this or I would have used that instead of the CCGX.

I hope this helps you.
    Tim, Pam and Popcorn(furry friend) 2018
    2017 Imagine 2150RB, CRE 3000 w/wet bolts, EMS-HW30C, 675 watt solar, Victron 150/45, Victron Multiplus 3000/120-50, Victron BMV-712, 3 BB 100ah LiFePo. [http://visited statesman.com/image/A...KORTXWIsm.jpg]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great info Sparky, I'm about to do this same thing. How hard was it to drop the chloroplast to run the wire underneath? I'm trying to decide whether to just do one romex (gfci line) or half my breaker which means creating an electrical box where I split the 5o amp in half.
    Imagine 2020 2670MK,
    2021 RAM 2500

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eodenc View Post
    Great info Sparky, I'm about to do this same thing. How hard was it to drop the chloroplast to run the wire underneath? I'm trying to decide whether to just do one romex (gfci line) or half my breaker which means creating an electrical box where I split the 5o amp in half.
    Donenc, The coroplast wasn’t terrible to drop on my 2150RB. I removed the self tapping screws on the drivers side about six feet and on the curb side about twelve feet, to just behind the front axel as I recall. I used a fish tape from inside the space behind the WFCO panel down thru the existing 3” hole in the floor then attached the two romex wires and pulled the wires up thru the hole to connect one to the Progressive Industries EMS and the other to the AC side of the WFCO. I tucked the two romex wires up along side the fresh water tank where the other DC wires from the battery ran to the WFCO. I tie wrapped the wiring mess under there to tidy things up a bit before reattaching the coroplast. Working around the partially dropped coroplast wasn’t fun but not too bad.
    I’ve heard others say they use some type of support when reattaching the coroplast to minimize sagging but I didn’t need to do that.
    My tt is 30 amp so I didn’t need an ATS. I’ve read that AMSolar has a proprietary switch that can split the power from a 30 amp source to power both sides of a 50 amp panel and several posters were happy with its performance. Others have not used the ATS but moved circuits in the WFCO so the circuits they wanted powered from their inverter were all on the same half of the AC panel. Hope this helps and have fun with your project!
    2017 Imagine 2150RB, CRE 3000 w/wet bolts, EMS-HW30C, 675 watt solar, Victron 150/45, Victron Multiplus 3000/120-50, Victron BMV-712, 3 BB 100ah LiFePo. [http://visited statesman.com/image/A...KORTXWIsm.jpg]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That helps yes. Any issue with the foam stuff on the valves from the tanks or it just stayed on ok since you did not drop it much?

I'm looking at splitting the 50amp into two to just fo half the breaker so I need a junction box by where my power comes in and then run two 6/2 wires down that hole instead of romex and have it come into the pass through where other wires come up. The invertor will be in the pass thru and the batteries under the bed. I will need to add wires from the batteries to the tongue as well.
    Imagine 2020 2670MK,
    2021 RAM 2500

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eodenc View Post
    That helps yes. Any issue with the foam stuff on the valves from the tanks or it just stayed on ok since you did not drop it much?

I'm looking at splitting the 50amp into two to just fo half the breaker so I need a junction box by where my power comes in and then run two 6/2 wires down that hole instead of romex and have it come into the pass through where other wires come up. The invertor will be in the pass thru and the batteries under the bed. I will need to add wires from the batteries to the tongue as well.
    I didn’t try to save the foam but used black gorilla tape to seal out critters.