User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battery disconnect on battery case

Looking to maybe add a battery disconnect on the battery case to make easier to disconnect it when not used. Has anyone done this?
    I found this switch which seems interesting.
    https://www.amazon.com/Ampper-Batter...tag=rvshare-20

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look up battery disconnects from Blue Sea Systems. They are very popular among this forum and work great, various mounting options as well, maybe not directly on the battery box, but very close to it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The issue with that is you need to remember to turn it on so the emergency break-away functions.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmbopp View Post
    The issue with that is you need to remember to turn it on so the emergency break-away functions.
    Agreed but the same can be said to remember to reconnect the battery. With a switch on top you can visually see it when hooking up.

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found this one which has no key to loose
    https://www.google.com/search?q=ampp...EW&pie=plaji-i

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    Agreed but the same can be said to remember to reconnect the battery. With a switch on top you can visually see it when hooking up. Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    We tend to get settled on our own ideas. A lot of us here have settled on one of the Blue Seas Systems switches that @FT4NOW recommended above, and have installed it not on the battery box but as a replacement for the OEM battery "kill" switch.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=blue+sea+...f=nb_sb_noss_1

The installation you're contemplating is certainly simpler and faster. Here are my own reasons for not doing it your way.

- You'll have to access the front compartment to turn the battery on/off. The front compartment is hard or impossible to access when the trailer is hooked to the truck, and is less-convenient to access even when not hooked up.

- The switch will control just the one battery. Add more batteries - as many of us do - and you're reworking the how-to-switch-off-battery project again. You might end up having to buy multiple switches and manipulating all of them.

Some people have simply re-wired the OEM battery "kill" switch so that it actually does disconnect all drains on the battery. The OEM is not a nice switch but it will work for a while. Others of us install a Blue Sea, but either way while it takes a bit more cable parts and an hour or two more work, having a proper kill switch in the always-easily-accessible basement that will disconnect all loads from all batteries seems like a better way to go. YMMV.

Good luck with your choices.

P.S. I share your lack of concern about the emergency brakes as raised by @jmbopp. I can't hook up to our trailer unless I've turned on the batteries to power my jacks. I would never turn off the batteries while traveling; they only get turned off when the trailer is unhooked without power to be left for a while in one place. No sleep lost here.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking to maybe add a battery disconnect on the battery case to make easier to disconnect it when not used. Has anyone done this?
    I found this switch which seems interesting.
    https://www.amazon.com/Ampper-Batter...tag=rvshare-20

I have done it 2 different ways on my current camper. I installed it on the negative side so it shuts everything down. Initially it was on the battery case but when I installed my new RVLockBox, I moved it to a cross brace on the front of the camper because I didn't want to drill a hole in my new (read: expensive) battery box.

I can't forget to turn it on before towing because the tongue jack will not work without it being on. The red lighted switch in the pics turns on my tpms booster.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Disconnect_Old.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	28044

Name:	Disconnect_New.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	28045
    Last edited by Unlimitedmatt; 07-13-2020 at 11:44 AM.
    2019 2800bh
    2018 Silverado 1500

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Unlimitedmatt View Post
    I have done it 2 different ways on my current camper. I installed it on the negative side so it shuts everything down. Initially it was on the battery case but when I installed my new RVLockBox, I moved it to a cross brace on the front of the camper because I didn't want to drill a hole in my new (read: expensive) battery box.

I can't forget to turn it on before towing because the tongue jack will not work without it being on. The red lighted switch in the pics turns on my tpms booster.

Name:	Disconnect_Old.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	28044

Name:	Disconnect_New.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	28045
    Great, any issues with the key coming loose?

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great, any issues with the key coming loose?

In the last 4 years of having the key on the top of the battery, no. I just installed the new battery box and the kill switch in it's new location last week and haven't towed with it yet. I began to worry about the key getting hit by rocks kicked up from my truck as the cross brace does have some rock chips on it. So, I mounted a small chain to the cross brace with a quick release key chain on the shut off key. I plan to hook the key to the chain while towing but while the camper is in storage, the key hangs in my front storage compartment.
    2019 2800bh
    2018 Silverado 1500

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have never used the battery disconnect switch in the pass through. I always just pull the negative cable off the battery when I want it disconnected for storage
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast