Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

376th black tank

Has anyone had to replace the black valve on a 376th. Any help on how you did it and what you learned would be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont have a 376, but I have replaced a black and gray valve on my 399. First get a Valterra brand valve so you can replace the cable without removing the valve if you ever need to. Get the right size cable length, and make sure you route the cable with the proper bend radius.

Make sure tank is empty.

Get a tyvek suit, nitrile gloves, and a disposable tarp to lay down.

Not sure how your piping is laid out, but 3 of my tanks go to a common header.

This was a lesson learned the hard way, you will want to take a sawzall and determine where you need to cut the header pipe, but the idea is to be able to move the discharge side of the valve around. If you dont cut the pipe, you have to put a lot of stress on the header area and will most likely pinch the gasket (I know because my black valve leaked afterward, it was a mess!). Use a rubber pipe coupling to cover the cut area, it's a low pressure system and the coupling is designed for sewer systems. I have a total of 3 couplings on my sewer piping with no leaks. If you dont cut the pipe, you will have to fight with it for awhile and I'd be willing to bet it leaks.

As far as the valve itself, its 4 nuts and bolts, 5/16" if I recall. The new valve will come with new hardware, you wont need to use the new flanges, the existing ones will work fine.

If possible fill the tank with the coroplast down so you can check for leaks with the valve shut and open so you can check both gaskets for leakage. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200712-114648_Lowe's.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	28018

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. Did you drop the entire coroplast liner vs cutting a hole in it? I'm planning on dropping it and putting it back up whole at this point.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by schulkey View Post
    Thanks. Did you drop the entire coroplast liner vs cutting a hole in it? I'm planning on dropping it and putting it back up whole at this point.
    I dropped enough of the coroplast so that I could get to the valves, then I put it back up. I dont reccomend cutting it if you dont need to cut it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I replaced the black tank valve on my 376 a few weeks ago. Replaced it with a Valterra electric valve. A year ago I replaced the cable and seals on the original valve. The valve is pretty easy to replace. The original cable routing was terrible causing it to kink and not close the valve completely. After the second cable kinking I decided to go with the electric one. 4 small bolts hold the valve in the flange. Hardest part was spreading the pipes enough to slide the new one in without disturbing the seals. I just put my foot against the drain pipe to hold it out a bit while sliding the new valve in. I did cut a section of coroplast out to make it easy for future repairs. Resealed it with moblehome tape and extra screws. The electric valve works GREAT.
    Pam & Ed
    "Just Kruse'n"

Momentum 376TH (New 11/04/2016)
    Full Timing since 11/04/2016
    2017 Ram 3500 DRW Aisin 3.73

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks I am considering the electric valve as well just worried about it lasting.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by schulkey View Post
    Thanks I am considering the electric valve as well just worried about it lasting.
    3 year warranty. ����**♂️ Easy enough repair to do. Basically it's the same valve with the added motor. Valve works very smoothly so not much load on the motor. Much smoother than the feel through the cables.
    Pam & Ed
    "Just Kruse'n"

Momentum 376TH (New 11/04/2016)
    Full Timing since 11/04/2016
    2017 Ram 3500 DRW Aisin 3.73