User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a great thread - we also purchased our tow vehicle a week ago - Ram 3500 Cummins HO, CC, LB, SRW, Laramie. First LB and just simply didn't want a DRW for my retirement daily driver. Broke it in with a 900 mile drive to visit our daughter and hubby this week to get used to it. Part of me regrets the payload loss of the Laramie but drove for 14 hours Tuesday and first time my back didn't bother me after an hour in our current small cars.

Our local GD dealer will not let us in anything we want to look at due to COVID (or so they say) but got a chance to have a look at a 310GK-R near daughter's home. Will be looking at a 344GK-R on the way back. The 344 (2020) is about $14K less then the 310 (2021). Seems like a big difference and not quite sure why.

We live in New Hampshire but have children in Idaho and North Carolina so a month long trip or more is likely once we retire next year (if we can stand working until then). Haven't had an RV since our travel trailer in the late '90s. Pulled that from NH to Arizona with 5 children 8500 miles and everything mentioned in this thread I had completely forgotten about. Thank you for the memory checks!

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexSol20 View Post

As I continue to research suspension and hitches, I see MORyde and others, and different opinions on upgrading brakes and axles to 7k/8k with disc brakes - pros/cons? Suggestions? Things we should consider when we order our RV? TexSol20
    Get the disk brakes. Just do it. What a difference. I can pull our Solitude now without worrying quite so much about whether or not I'll be able to stop in time if someone pulls out in front of me.... I wish had installed disk brakes immediately after we bought it!
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the truck ... Set of those orange plastic triangles for emergencies. Flares can be good too. Breaker bar to get the lug nuts off, and a good torque wrench to check the torque of the lug nuts (every trip you take). I have both 12 volt and 110 volt air compressors and a good tire pressure gage to check those tire pressures (every trip you take). And checklists for each step you take - checklists for Leaving (hooking up) and Arriving (unhooking). Use the checlists like a pilot.
    Hobo Bill
    From Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    Traveling Full Time Across the US
    2019 Reflection 5th Wheel 337RLS
    2007 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW Cummins 6.7 Turbo Diesel
    Goodrich T/A KO2 All Terrain Tires
    Reese RP30081 20K
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Toilet Paper ... We use 1-ply toilet paper. The special RV toilet paper does not seem to break down any faster than regular 1-ply. But I do think 1-ply does break down faster than 2-ply.
    Hobo Bill
    From Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    Traveling Full Time Across the US
    2019 Reflection 5th Wheel 337RLS
    2007 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW Cummins 6.7 Turbo Diesel
    Goodrich T/A KO2 All Terrain Tires
    Reese RP30081 20K
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope I can mention a youtube channel. I received a lot of good “initial stuff” advice from the “Changing Lanes” youtube channel”. if you scroll their videos you’ll see the videos for checklists and day one needs.
    Last edited by swordsmn; 07-26-2020 at 08:09 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    aj,

The only reason I can see for a 310 costing $14k more than a 344 is because if has (1) lots of options, and (2) likely body paint [and the 344 has no options]. Unless it is 2 different dealers. I ordered my 344 and there was around $14k difference between bids from the several dealers I requested quotes from. List price for the 344 (with the same equipment) is just slightly more than the 310. We liked both, but really like the desk in the 344. If you can live with the extra 2 feet in length and want a dedicated "work" space, the 344 is a good option.
    Last edited by ggates; 07-26-2020 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Add
    Greg and Colleen Gates
    Albuquerque, NM
    2020 Solitude 344 GK
    2019 F350 Lariat Superduty DRW

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggates View Post
    aj,

The only reason I can see for a 310 costing $14k more than a 344 is because if has (1) lots of options, and (2) likely body paint [and the 344 has no options]. Unless it is 2 different dealers. I ordered my 344 and there was around $14k difference between bids from the several dealers I requested quotes from. List price for the 344 (with the same equipment) is just slightly more than the 310. We liked both, but really like the desk in the 344. If you can live with the extra 2 feet in length and want a dedicated "work" space, the 344 is a good option.
    It was odd - same dealer 310 was $82K the 344 was $64K. Another dealer priced the 310 at $70K and the 344 at 64K again. None had full body paint. Build sheets had same mandatory and selected options with the exception of Linen in the 310. All were residential. I also like the work space as I'm hoping to transition to remote part time work. With two large dogs, extra two feet is also welcome.

Did notice the 310s are disappearing much more quickly then the 344s.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    It was odd - same dealer 310 was $82K the 344 was $64K. Another dealer priced the 310 at $70K and the 344 at 64K again. None had full body paint. Build sheets had same mandatory and selected options with the exception of Linen in the 310. All were residential. I also like the work space as I'm hoping to transition to remote part time work. With two large dogs, extra two feet is also welcome.

Did notice the 310s are disappearing much more quickly then the 344s.
    Supply and demand I guess. So far we are happy with ours. A few issues we will need to get serviced under warranty, but nothing major (knock on wood...). Wife wasn't sure about the Linen, but we ordered it with that color. Turns out because of the rear pantry being dark, she liked the lighter color furniture.
    Greg and Colleen Gates
    Albuquerque, NM
    2020 Solitude 344 GK
    2019 F350 Lariat Superduty DRW

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just bought our first trailer and we worried this question quite a bit. We've now had her for a few months and thought I would pipe in here on what you need. The advice given here is fantastic and what we needed out of the gate too. Here's my list of 'little things' that you do need and make a difference:
    -Sewer Supplies: Black tank sewer hose (like Rhino), an extension for your black tank sewer hose, a 'slunky' - which is a sewer hose holder, a 'regular' hose that you use to clean the black tank - we bought a black one so we'd know which one is for that, disposable gloves.
    -Toilet Supplies: RV toilet paper, Drops in for the toilet (or other chemical you add to the toilet)
    -Fresh Water Supplies: Hose for fresh water, pressure regulator, water filter (goes on the outside - attaches to hose) and wow, was this invaluable - a 90 degree connector, which you leave hooked up to the rig and hook your hose up to - ridiculous how much you need that. We also ended up buying a two way water valve so you can hook up both a black water hose and fresh water hose to one water outlet at the campground. You also need a container for all this stuff.
    -Trailer Set up: You'll need leveling blocks and wheel chocks.
    - Electrical: A surge protector and then you might (notice might) need to buy the connector that changes 50 amp to 30 (if you have a 30) and you'll need the one that allows you to plug it into your house electrical if you intend to do that for set up. Again, that's a 'might' need to buy depending on your need, but if you need it, you'll need it right away.

We bought some of this stuff at the dealership the day we picked up the trailer - but we also bought some online and made a trip to camping world prior to pick up. We just didn't want to be limited to the dealers 'stuff'. They have everything truly - so if you forgot something or didn't have time to get it, you can buy at the dealership when you pick up your trailer. I liked having all the black tank stuff already purchased, so it was one thing I didn't need to think about on walk through day. As well, the hoses at Lowe's are great, there's a million choices/colors and well priced. Buying prior to our pick up just made the day easier as I could focus on the walk through and not try to 'remember' another thing I needed to pick up.
    -Truck Stuff: We bought the furrion back up camera and OMG am I happy we did. As well, you'll need something to extend your mirrors.
    -Dealer Pick Up: Don't forget to bring a flashlight, a few screwdrivers (just in case). The walk through is critical - spend forever on it, you won't regret it.

You'll still find lots of things that you may want to make life easier with your new trailer at the dealership - so buy what you feel comfortable with beforehand!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexSol20 View Post
    Sincerely appreciate any and all suggestions, guidance, opinions, etc.
    I posted a list of the things we buy for our RV's here:
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...-Shopping-List

As for some of your other questions, we don't use special toilet paper or chemicals and have no problems. If you get a new diesel truck, skip the 2500 models. If you can afford it, get MORryde IS suspension and disc brakes. This may save you a lot of headaches later (e.g. flat springs, broken spring hangars and shackles, etc). Grand Design can coordinate this work for you when you place your order.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast