User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kmagnum425 View Post
    So I called the ford dealer where I bought the truck. Since the truck did not come with the fifth wheel prep package it door sticker says 2230lbs. Had it come with the fifth wheel prep package the sticker would say 3880, which puts me 500lbs under since I added the fifth wheel package after the fact. So at the end of the day, the payload sticker states weights based on stock configuration.

I want to be safe for sure, thus the questions and research. Also, FYI the truck maxes out at over 4k payload if it were a long bed.

Thanks for all the advice/comments and hope this thread helps others....
    Personally, I wouldn’t do it. That’s a lot of weight over your 2230 sticker not accounting for the 5th wheel hitch, passengers, truck fuel, etc. if it were close , I would argue otherwise as I “can’t call the kettle black” since I am overweight by about 500lbs. But before you even start adding people, you are already 500 over. I am guessing you may be pushing 1000lbs over payload weight (what’s on the sticker not what the dealer said). Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2020 Reflection 31MB
    2016 Ram 2500 Cummins

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I called the ford dealer where I bought the truck. Since the truck did not come with the fifth wheel prep package it door sticker says 2230lbs. Had it come with the fifth wheel prep package the sticker would say 3880
    Your Ford dealer doesn't know what he's talking about. The factory 5th wheel prep package would reduce the payload rating. Any options you add to the truck reduces payload. That's why heavily optioned trucks like the Platinum have lower payload ratings than base models (all else being equal). You lowered your available payload by adding your aftermarket under bed hitch by whatever that system weighs.

The Momentum 351M has an empty pin weight of 2,785lbs. That's with no batteries, no propane, no water and absolutely nothing else in it. You are over your truck's payload rating by more than 500lbs before you put anything in the truck or the RV. I personally don't care what you do as 75% of all truck's on the road are overloaded because people still buy F-250 to haul RV's. But, if you want to stay within your payload rating, you either need an F-350 (probably DRW) or an RV with a lower pin weight.
    Last edited by bertschb; 07-15-2020 at 03:16 PM.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I called the ford dealer where I bought the truck. Since the truck did not come with the fifth wheel prep package it door sticker says 2230lbs. Had it come with the fifth wheel prep package the sticker would say 3880, which puts me 500lbs under since I added the fifth wheel package after the fact. So at the end of the day, the payload sticker states weights based on stock configuration.

I want to be safe for sure, thus the questions and research. Also, FYI the truck maxes out at over 4k payload if it were a long bed.

Just a couple of observations having read through this thread. I would never trust what a dealer says. From a legal perspective, only the door sticker matters. Also, you indicated you added the prep package after the fact. Are you certain the prep package from the factory didn't also include a heavier spring package or other items that engineering wise increases the cargo capacity? And on what model truck? A blanket statement that the cargo capacity increases to 3880 should be taken with a grain of salt (slice of lime, and a shot of tequila). One other point, don't go by the pin weight advertised in the GD brochure. That is most often inaccurate as it's at best an average guesstimate. As with the trucks cargo capacity, the pin weight will vary based on the options included in the trailer. And that guesstimate is a dry weight, before you add all your stuff. I carry either the Spyder or the quad in my garage. Having weighed mine loaded, I found the load in the garage does lessen the pin weight, but by not as much as one would think. Just food for thought.

john
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing Momentum 351m with F250 SRW short bed

Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    Your Ford dealer doesn't know what he's talking about. The factory 5th wheel prep package would reduce the payload rating. Any options you add to the truck reduces payload. That's why heavily optioned trucks like the Platinum have lower payload ratings than base models (all else being equal). You lowered your available payload by adding your aftermarket under bed hitch by whatever that system weighs.

The Momentum 351M has an empty pin weight of 2,785lbs. That's with no batteries, no propane, no water and absolutely nothing else in it. You are over your truck's payload rating by more than 500lbs before you put anything in the truck or the RV. I personally don't care what you do as 75% of all truck's on the road are overloaded because people still buy F-250 to haul RV's. But, if you want to stay within your payload rating, you either need an F-350 (probably DRW) or an RV with a lower pin weight.
    Bert...or anyone...question for you. I weighed my truck with passengers, hitch, full tank of fuel.

That total was 8900.

Then weighed combined with trailer full of water and linens and some supplies in cargo area (chairs, grill, hoses, etc)

The “truck weight” for that weigh (adding stear axle and drive axle together) is 10320 and the trailer axle weight is 9080.

Soooo. Doesn’t that mean my pin weight is 1330? What am I doing wrong because the 31MB lists the pin weight at 1870.

You mentioned the empty pin weight of the momentum is 2785. Just trying to determine if my math is correct. Is the reported 1870 pin weight assuming a fully loaded trailer at 11,900 lbs? Rather than my 9080 lb weight?

Hope all that makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rgkeaney; 07-15-2020 at 03:42 PM.
    2020 Reflection 31MB
    2016 Ram 2500 Cummins

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgkeaney View Post
    Bert...or anyone...question for you.
    I don't want to derail this thread so I'll PM you...
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is 100% correct. My F450 came with the fifth wheel prep and the Ford/Reese 27.5k hitch. As a result, my yellow sticker shows a payload of a bit less than 4900 lbs. Now the F450 has bigger rear end half-shafts, an additional leaf spring, and a heavier front end. This however works AGAINST payload capacity because to stay within the Class III light duty truck status, the maximum allowable GVWR is 14k lbs. So all that extra stuff and its weight, while it technically beefs up the truck, actually LOWERS the remaining payload capacity. So a F450 has a bigger towing capacity but a smaller payload capacity than a F350.

Bottom line is the more equipment you order a truck with within that series, be it 1500, 2500 or 3500, every lb of optional equipment will go towards REDUCING the available maximum payload.

Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post

2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your dealer is TOTALLY uninformed.....and that's as nice as I can say it without getting banned from here. Your payload sticker on the truck is 2230, and that's without a prep package. If it had that from the factory, your payload sticker would around 2000, maybe 2050. The numbers he is obviously mistaken for is possibly a 1 Ton truck, definitely NOT a F250. But let's get back to basics here. So your truck is 2230 for the payload number. The trailer, totally empty, as it was built at the factory has a pin weight of 2785 (from the Grand Design website). Right off the bat you are overloaded by 550 lb on the truck. Now add the battery and the propane to the tanks at the dealership....another 150 lbs or so, most of which will go directly to the pin weight since those items are up in front. So now you are at least 650 lb overweight. Now start adding in all the stuff that you will take when you go camping and let's say the trailer now weighs 15,000 lb on a 16,800 lb GVWR trailer. Pin weight now is going to be over 3000 lbs and likely in the 3100-3200 lbs. Now, you are approaching, if not already there......being overloaded by a 1000 lbs.....that's half a Ton. Hopefully this is making sense to you because the F250 with 2230 lb of payload is simply not the truck for that size 5ver camping trailer. It would even be very sketchy with a 1 Ton truck unless it is a 2020 model. A few of those will have payload capacities in the 4300-4400 lbs.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not one that worries much about the payload sticker but as others have said this is a blatantly false statement. Payload sticker rating is a function of GVWR minus actual weight. Nothing more complicated than that.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by larry0071 View Post

Assuming a gas version, he has 2900-3100 payload... 3100 would be a stripped down truck.

My 2020 F-250 7.3 Lariat super crew 4x4 with heavy 20 inch wheels has a payload of 3061.

You must have high standards if this is stripped down to you.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even with your estimated pin weight, you would be way over your truck's GVWR. My 2019 351M loaded to 16,020 pounds had a pin weight of 3,415. Just above the magic 20% mark. Trailer sits perfectly level on my truck.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast