User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper Dive Bar Casanova's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jensen Head Unit: Anyone replace theirs?

Not even a year old and we hate ours. We thought opting for the Rockford Fosgate system would have spared us the grief but it hasn't. It still came with the dreadful Jensen.
    Issues galore.

Anyone with any tips tales or takes on replacing it?

I can't imagine it's simply plug and play with a better unit but hope so.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is basically a standard vehicle radio. The difference is it has multiple zones. You can find some like Alpine, etc. with the HDMI out, but I have found anything that supports the multiple zones.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are only 4 front screws that hold the unit in place. I pulled mine out and it looks like std wiring with every wire labeled with little tags.

Should be an easy swap out as long as the replacement unit is physically the same size and has 2 different zones as posted above.

My outside speakers started crackling. I pulled the speakers. Doesn't look like a speaker issue. I'm considering filing it under warranty but do I really want another crappy Jensen unit? I might just replace it myself with something better.
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    2021 337rls w/ Andersen hitch.

Seasoned Camper Dive Bar Casanova's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ckreef View Post
    There are only 4 front screws that hold the unit in place. I pulled mine out and it looks like std wiring with every wire labeled with little tags.

Should be an easy swap out as long as the replacement unit is physically the same size and has 2 different zones as posted above.

My outside speakers started crackling. I pulled the speakers. Doesn't look like a speaker issue. I'm considering filing it under warranty but do I really want another crappy Jensen unit? I might just replace it myself with something better.
    Check out Crutchfield for speakers. Easy change out. Rockford Fosgate and Powerbass are pretty good. Stay with the recommended elect rating.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There are several threads on this here and over at the other place. Doing a good search might lead to a few choices. You also might try checking with you local car stereo/ AV shops. The folks there stay up on the happenings, whats good, will work or they can make it fit.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3rd zone can be done with an a/b switch like this Magnadyne C45-3800A | 3 Position Speaker Selector Switch for RV or Home. Just don't use the a+b position.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/162304278149

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just switching out speakers and leaving a junk head unit won't gain you much. If, as suggested, you use the search function, you'll find dozens of threads on this topic. Many of us have abandoned the OEM entertainment system altogether and have installed good quality sound bars with sub-woofers, DVD/Blueray players, etc. We don't care about zones, so this kind of setup suits us very well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200315_102903 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	28275

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the above applies assuming you are a plug in camper running on AC or have tons of solar with inverters, lol.
    Everybody 'camps' differently. For those of us that prefer boondocking, AC powered audio is used rarely, but yeah, I'm sure it sounds great.
    Upgrading your 12v components can be done for only hundreds of dollars.
    Also, not sure what that pic is showing, Rob.
    I do think that a bluray player with hdmi would be must to get quality video for when plugged in.
    Last edited by Grandesigner; 07-22-2020 at 05:32 PM.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2018 Imagine 2600rb and the stock Jensen and speakers was pretty bad esp. for DVD picture so just went the simple route on the entertainment system since we didn't want a subwoofer and sound bar and just use existing space. Bought yet another Jensen since I thought it would be plug and play but I ended up splicing wire connections after pulling out unit. Easy since all wires are labeled the same. New Jensen has HDMI and Optical connections. Hooked up through HMDI ARC to a bigger TCL 4k - 43 inch tv on new mount bracket. Im the one buying the $5.00 dvds so we have a good collection of movies and pic now looks great. For sound, removed ceiling 5.25 speakers, cut out openings for Rockford Fosgate 6.5 inch triax''s. Decent sound and pic now.. Pairs up with Pandora easily and use the Jensen app to enable loudness and eq adjustment. And movies sound good through ceiling speakers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rockford makes a marine grade multi-zone head unit that matches the RF speakers you now have. Just swap to that.

You may need to make a filler plate, the RF may have a different install hole size.
    https://www.rockfordfosgate.com/prod...ails/pmx-5can/
    2020.5 Reflection 311BHS Dual AC, 2019 Ram 2500 Bighorn Level 2, 3.73 / 392 Hemi 14,404.34 lb towing and 3,004.34 payload, 2019 F-150 King Ranch 3.5EB CC/LB, 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk, 2014 Wrangler Willys Edition, 2019 Iron Bull 14K 22' Equipment Trailer, 2019 Quality Trailers 7K 18' Utility Trailer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast