User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brand New Trailer and MANY problems, getting very little help.

We just bought our new trailer 2021 Grand Design 349m we went to Mammoth for 11 days. Before we left I climbed up on the roof and saw that there was a tear on edge of the roof on the living room slide and there where places on the roof that was missing caulking. I called and they said they would replace that section of roof when I get back from our trip I let them know when we would be returning. I call the first thing when we got back and wanted to bring it in. They didn't even order the roof yet and acted like they didn't even know what I was talking about. I hand to call GDs. They got a hold of the dealer and now I have appointment. However we have other trips planned. But it can wait until the middle of August. So as I got it all cleaned up and the Norco Frig stopped working. I called the dealer about that and now I need to bring it in if I want it covered under warranty or I can pick up the part but I have to pay for it. It is very hard to get a phone call back from the dealer or that GD's.

Oh, wait I left out the best part, when we were sitting outside of the trailer enjoying a nice evening we could see that livingroom slide above the TV had a repair spot in the gel coat. It was hard to see at first but now I know it's there I'm losing my mind. They sold me a trailer that had been damaged. I feel like cleaning it out and dropping it off and calling my attorney. I bought this trailer because of www.Changinglanesrv.com website and their endorsement. I feel I have been sold a lemon. Please, someone talk me off the ledge.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roof2.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	28100Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roof1.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	28101Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roof 3.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	28102Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roof2.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	28100Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roof1.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	28101Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roof 3.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	28102Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Repair.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	28103

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully that will be all the problems you experience, I wish you luck. I bought my Reflection TT a little over a year ago and still need some new blinds (some were too short and wouldn't maintain creases) and 2 decals replaced. I've had around 30 issues (some should have never left the factory) requiring spending $1000 in fuel and tolls for trips back to the dealer. Unfortunately warranty work is at the bottom of the Dealer's list and those problems are now your headache. BTW I've also had roof caulking that needed touching up as well as silicone. Take a look at the frame for rust and unattached bracing.
    Last edited by Brewhedd; 07-16-2020 at 01:49 PM.
    2019 Reflection 312BHTS TT Sold

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ​Did you inspect the trailer by doing a PDI before signing for it?
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We did a PDI, I just didn't crawl up on the roof and there is just some much to take in.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fully appreciate how frustrating and upsetting it can be truly. However, there's nothing that cannot be fixed, if you give it a chance. With the roofing, enact a temporary repair yourself, document with a few photos, and keep receipts of the repair materials. GD will step up to reimburse you those expenses and see your roof is properly repaired. Repair of the composite walls happens every single day in every manufacturer's facility using this wall construction. Some repairs are more transparent than others. It's on a slide box, so there are options if you approach circumstances with a positive attitude and also understand there will need to be a process. The Norcold is on its manufacturer, and you will get support with this under warranty but we are in strange times and there's now a shortage of RV appliances and parts. Have you tried resetting the Norcold? Search YouTube and you will find the procedure to enter diagnostic mode, get the error codes, and clear them. If no help, you can also call them directly and maybe able to get direct warranty support faster than the chain that has to start with your dealer, then to GD, then to the manufacturer.

These problems are no different than anything built. Ever build a home? There is an inspection, a punch list made of defects and repairs made, and a year period for them to be completed. By a new car? Same thing. Pre-delivery inspection and a "we owe" form completed.

Final advice. You will find your dealer will always be the biggest delay in the process. The RV-dealer relationship is nothing like the automobile industry. RV dealers do as they please. You can manage the dealer by asking the provide you the warranty authorization number and call GD customer service with it. They'll be able to then tell you when it was filed, status of processing and when or if the parts shipped to the dealer. Dirty secret, dealers handle warranty claim entries in batches, unless the dealer size has a dedicated person for the claim work. My recent experience with an enormous dealership was my warranty claims were entered 4 months later by the dealer! That's probably the most extreme, but gives you a flavor. Also, I have had GD CS return a call every single time with the automated system.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perfectphoto View Post
    We did a PDI, I just didn't crawl up on the roof and there is just some much to take in.
    We've now had over fifty issues with our 3-year-old trailer. The most serious of all of our problems by far has been the dealer. My advice as a result:

If it's simple and you can fix it yourself, no matter how unjust it may seem (and I know that rage *very* well) just fix it yourself. For your roof, there's an expensive tape called Eternabond that reportedly lives up to its name. For your seams, be sure to buy the correct sealant, which is NOT the popular and respected Dicor sealant.

If your problem requires parts, Grand Design will send you the parts under warranty. If they are pure-junk parts (like the water pump on ours) just buy better parts yourself... no point in doing the repair a second time further down the road.

If the task exceeds your abilities ask Grand Design to pay for a local RV technician to do the work. You must get this approved in advance, and may have to pay for it and wait for reimbursement, but they will pay.

Be prepared for more problems. Meditate, smoke dope, whatever you need to do to calm down. These things are NOT well built, but it seems that they are built to industry standards - there don't seem to be better trailers around for anything like similar money.

Finally, try to be calm and friendly when talking to Grand Design - they ARE more helpful than other manufacturers so with their support you'll get a decent experience in the world of modern RVs. Some have it worse.

Believe me, I'm anything BUT the calm and mellow guy this post may make me seem. However I've been through hell - dealer had our trailer for over five MONTHS for repairs, broken parts stranded us, dealer was staggeringly incompetent, poor construction is still dogging us years later - and this is how I've come out. Just trying to give you a short cut.

All the best.
    Last edited by boyscout; 07-17-2020 at 10:26 AM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    ​Did you inspect the trailer by doing a PDI before signing for it?
    I think the question should be did Grand Design and / or the dealer do their QC and PDI before releasing the trailer. You know web site, promises made, promises not kept. Wait until the OP gets caught up in the dealer service delays and jamb up. Then see what happens when he realizes he's not going out on that mid August trip.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    I think the question should be did Grand Design and / or the dealer do their QC and PDI before releasing the trailer. You know web site, promises made, promises not kept. Wait until the OP gets caught up in the dealer service delays and jamb up. Then see what happens when he realizes he's not going out on that mid August trip.
    Unfortunately life isn't perfect and neither is G D and many other companies as well and any consumer should do an inspection regardless and not go on blind faith of any company. Yes even GD.
    We took a several page PDI list and checked things one by one. We did a thorough inspection on our own prior to closing on the deal. We found only minor things wrong, lucky for us. Everyone should do their own PDI and not let the dealer push you into hurrying through, it is a big purchase and if they want your money they will accomodate , if not I would walk. Those inspections would save many big headaches

Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post

These problems are no different than anything built. Ever build a home? There is an inspection, a punch list made of defects and repairs made, and a year period for them to be completed. By a new car? Same thing.
    I used to build homes and owners had punch lists of zero to three items. If you use the cheapest sub's there are going to be a lot of issues, can't imagine what it would be like if they were paid piece work. My sub's also knew I wasn't putting up with shoddy workmanship. Also, my new Silverado had 1 issue and has been trouble free. I haven't seen GD's website lately but there usually is a lot of "puffing" going on. My last trailer, a Forest River Rockwood, had far fewer issues.
    2019 Reflection 312BHTS TT Sold

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    I think the question would be, could the damage have been done after leaving the factor?
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast