Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dodge 3500 DRW + Solitude??

I need to hear from those of you that have this combination. I keep hearing horror stories that the new Dodge's are too tall and tow the Solitude very high in front, therefore, putting more weight and pressure on the back axle. I am seriously hoping that this is not the case. So, my question to you fine folks is, are they full of crap, or do I need to worry and look at Ford or Chevy. I'm really close to pulling the trigger on the Dodge but don't want to be screwed when I get my Solitude next year. Also, what is the distance between the bed rail and the 5er when hooked up?? HELP!!

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think you'll have any problem with the Ram truck, however I've got a Ford. You have not said anything about a hitch, but the B&W Companion has about 4" of adjustments up and down--front and back. And they're easy to adjust.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The difference between the bed rail and the 5er is up to how you set up your hitch. I'd recommend no less than six inches on level ground. I'm a Reflection owner driving a Ford, so I can't help with your other questions.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also a Reflection owner pulled with a Ford so maybe no help. But I have only heard of the Ram towing nose high with the smaller Reflections with 15" wheels. I haven't heard that with Solitudes. Just checking to make sure you were talking right GD product.
    Scott and Jan Platt Ocala, FL
    Cameron(Son) & Chica(chihuahua)
    2014 Reflection 337RLS
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 4X4, Crew Cab, Dually, Diesel
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Norcalrv1
    I am pulling my 2014 reflection 337 with a new 2014 RAM 3500 turbo diesel, heavy duty trans., 4 wheel drive, crew cab, long bed, and single wheels on the rear. The dually is to wide to fit into our garage. It does an awesome job. I have probably towed it 8-10,000 miles and it does great. I wouldn't buy anything else. No grades in the Western states have slowed me down and I tow at 75 where legal. I have had the 5th wheel 90 degrees to the cab and been able to back without hitting the cab with the 5th wheel. I do recommend the 4 wheel drive. When maneuvering in tight quarters and needing power, such as going over the curb at home to park next to the house or in a number of campgrounds I use the compound low 4 wheel drive. I use it much more often than I thought I would and would not want to be without it.
    Hope this helps.
    Rod Zebb
    Fairfield, CA
    2014 377rls 263
    2014 RAM 3500

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own the Ram Dually and a 379FL. I don't have any issues. I use the Anderson Hitch and have more than enough clearance. Mine tows level, even though I have not weighed mine I don't believe that the is an issue with the rear axel.
    KZ and Terry Kleinheitz, Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Meka and Prissy (Social butterflies in Dachshound bodies)
    2015 379FL Solitude
    2014 Ram 3500, Crew Cab, Laramie, Cummins, Auto, 4X4, Long Bed, DRW, Andersen Hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys for the replies. I'm spec'n out a 2015 Ram 3500 crew cab Laramie DRW with cummins, aisin trans, and 4.10 rear end. Hoping it is better than the 2013's that I've been hearing were having lots of sensor/electrical problems.
    Haven't started looking for a hitch yet, but know I'll be able to find advice here. Thanks again, and if there's any more comments, I'd love to hear them. Thx!!

Norcalrv1
    That will be a great truck. You may find that you can't get the 4.10. I wanted the 3.73 but could not get it; only the 3.45 was available in the 2014 truck. Never figured out why. Probably has something to do with the Federal fuel guidelines. I was at the rodeos in Cheyenne, WY during Frontier Days and talked with the RAM factory reps. and they said that I could get anything that I wanted. No, that was not true. They said that the combination that I have did not exist. So, I went to the truck got the specs and showed it to them and they agreed with me. Reluctantly I purchase the 3.45 and have not regretted it all, it does great. My mileage is overall about 12, I can get 13 on a flat straight road at about 65 MPH and about 10 or less overall when climbing and descending steep grades.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2014 Ram Bighorn DRW. I pull a 379 with no problem. I have a 22K Reese hitch
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tow with a Dodge 4x4 3500 DRW. No issues and the trailer sits pretty level when hooked up. Plenty of clearance between rails and trailer. I am going with option 1, full of crap!
    Chris and Debbie
    St. Charles County, MO
    2007 Dodge Ram Cummins DRW
    2015 369RL Solitude

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast