Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

water heater not working with LP or Ele

Quote Originally Posted by Rmathews951 View Post
    2021 Reflections 303RLS. Our water heater isn't working using LP or electricity. Worked fine for the first 3-day shakedown cruise two weeks ago so something has changed. I don't get any sound from it like it's even trying to light. Checked the circuit breaker and all the fuses in the control panel. Everything seems to be working correctly. Nothing obvious on the front of the water heater itself i.e. burned circuit board or other signs of damage. Is there someplace else I should be looking for an electrical problem? I did check the LP line feeding the heater to make sure the valve was open and it was. I did not check the actual gas flow but I really don't think that's part of the problem. Any suggestions or recommendations welcome.
    Thanks,
    Ron

Just saw that the issue was the thermostat....good to hear and easy to fix.

For anyone else having issues with water heater...I’ll leave this link and post.

The ignitor boards on those things are horrendous. Check everything first but I am guessing you simply have a bad ignitor board and that needs replaced. GD will most likely replace it with the same kind under warranty. Or like I did, i replaced mine with a bullet proof (more or less) Dinosaur board. Made in the USA (not in china like the Atwood.)Mine went out in year #2 of my last trailer and I swapped it out with the new 31MB we purchased about a month ago.

I have no financial interest in this. Just that it works and it so much more solid than that piece of junk that comes on the water heater. Super easy to install also.

https://www.dinosaurelectronics.com/Ignitor_boards.htm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rgkeaney; 07-23-2020 at 01:19 PM.
    2020 Reflection 31MB
    2016 Ram 2500 Cummins

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am waiting for my igniter board to fail so I carry a UIB64 Dinosaur Electronics board as a spare. I am the only one left in our camping group where the Atwood igniter board has not failed. Everyone else has switched to the UIB64 board and has been very happy.
    Kevin and Jennifer
    2016 RAM 3500 Laramie Mega Cab CTD Aisin 4x4 SRW
    2019 Reflection 28BH (Built 2/2019)
    - 78" Theater Seat, Second AC, Dual Pane Windows
    - Sailun 235/85 R16 Tires
    Blue Ox Super Ride BXR7200 with a Demco Factory Prep Bracket 6099

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had this happen to me some time ago on our 349M. Found by reading the manual that you can reset the system but you will need to read the manual for your heater to see exactly how to do it. Took me a couple of times but after reset it heated up fine. I think my having the 110v power to the heater turned on without water in it for a few minutes tripped the system causing me to need to reset it. At least it didn't burn up the 110v heating element.
    Scott & Susan
    2016 F250 CC SB SRW 4x4 pulling 2018 Momentum 349M
    Firestone Air Bags & 40 gal RDS Tank Bilstein 5100 Steering & 4600 Shocks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys have my head spinning. I am like 9 days in with my new 2020 Imagine 2800. Water was real hot yesterday and today, nothing. Was running electric only and open the LP and turned on gas. No hot water.

Open the panel...see the pilot but looked all around and don't see any valve switch not button to depress so I could try lighting it.

Will look at a couple things you guys mentioned before I toss in the towel and call repair man.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MachWun View Post
    You guys have my head spinning. I am like 9 days in with my new 2020 Imagine 2800. Water was real hot yesterday and today, nothing. Was running electric only and open the LP and turned on gas. No hot water.

Open the panel...see the pilot but looked all around and don't see any valve switch not button to depress so I could try lighting it.

Will look at a couple things you guys mentioned before I toss in the towel and call repair man.
    It's like Déjà vu all over again! I replaced the thermostat and ECO; (it's the one next to the thermostat) and that fixed it. They come as a set so I recommend you replace both of them. Part number is Dometic GC6AA-10E.

The water heater is set at the factory to 140 degrees and I don't think you can change that. There is no pilot light button to press and hold down, it too is automatic and factory set. Drove myself nuts looking for anything that resembled the manual.

Hope this helps more than hurts... I'm not a tech, I'm just reading what the repairman wrote on the insurance form when he charged me $212.00 to replace an $8.00 part.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. If a past is needed, then I'll push the shop ro do it. I dropped a lot 9 days ago and shouldn't need to spend more.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Being that your water was real HOT and then stopped points directly to the ECO/Thermo being bad - just keep in mind everyone there are two of these - they look alike but they are not....one is for 120VAC and the other 12VDC do not mix these if you replace.

See this link:https://www.amazon.com/Suburban-120V..._t1_B003G9I4DW

Mark
    2014 HDT Volvo 780 "Baby Bird"
    2016 Smart Car "Baby Bird Turd" - on the back
    2020 Momentum 376THS
    We're both proud USAF Retirees...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went through manual and several other recommended steps. I am in the same thought that something has failed and I have a call into mobile tech.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went through manual and several other recommended steps. I am in the same thought that something has failed and I have a call into mobile tech.
    Talk with Grand Design first....they may be able to provide a name for one in your area that they recommend and they should cover the cost to repair and sometimes the mobile fee. If not when you talk with the Mobile Tech two things 1) ask them what their mobile fee is and 2) are they an authorized Suburban/Dometic (Dometic bought Suburban) dealer. If they are an authorized dealer the repair again should not cost you a thing - just the mobile fee.

Good Luck

Mark
    2014 HDT Volvo 780 "Baby Bird"
    2016 Smart Car "Baby Bird Turd" - on the back
    2020 Momentum 376THS
    We're both proud USAF Retirees...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAnna View Post
    I had the exact same issue on my 28BH, the cause was a bad connection on the water heater thermal cut off diode (small wire with spade ends) To diagnose, I turned the Water Heater in propane mode and electrical off then wiggled the diode a little to make better contact and once it made proper contact the propane burner would ignite. Remove the diode and gently tighten the female crimps with pliers and reinsert.
    I just had this exact problem on my 28BH this weekend, first trip out with the new rig. I wiggled the thermal cutoff and the water heater sprang back to life. I will be tightening the connections this weekend and getting a spare for just in case.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast