User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

28G 2nd A/C questions 30 amp questions

We are looking at the 28G and like many others are questioning the use of 30amps for 2 a/c's. We spoke with the dealer who called her rep and she was told there was a problem with the initial trailers with the breaker popping (I think mainly on start up) but that they have fixed the problem on the newer ones with soft starts. She also mentioned the Coleman a/c's are using less amps than before. Unfortunately I don't know the models of the 15/13.5k Colemans to research their startup/running amp figures. Here's my questions:

1. Is anyone having this blown breaker problem on a 2020/21 model 25G/28G??
    2. Does anyone have a work around?
    3. Is the 2nd a/c (coming from factory) ducted into the racetrack ducks?
    4. We live in South Texas so a/c runs a LOT during a summer day, once they are running does amp draw change in the afternoon as opposed to morning/evening?

Any other thoughts?
    Anyone try using a portable floor a/c for the bedroom at night?
    Or just shutting off or raising temp on the main 15k at night?
    Shut off water heater when done showering?

We are ready to pull the trigger but really worried about this. Dealer said if there's a problem with breaker popping then we could take to the dealer for a fix. Not sure what that would be.

On another note she said we could order one without the 2nd a/c and they they would install it at their shop since it would be separate wiring. Would be costly though ($2000?)
    Last edited by Texdan; 07-16-2020 at 12:19 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdan View Post
    We are looking at the 28G and like many others are questioning the use of 30amps for 2 a/c's. We spoke with the dealer who called her rep and she was told there was a problem with the initial trailers with the breaker popping (I think mainly on start up) but that they have fixed the problem on the newer ones with soft starts. She also mentioned the Coleman a/c's are using less amps than before. Unfortunately I don't know the models of the 15/13.5k Colemans to research their startup/running amp figures. Here's my questions:

1. Is anyone having this blown breaker problem on a 2020/21 model 25G/28G??
    2. Does anyone have a work around?
    3. Is the 2nd a/c (coming from factory) ducted into the racetrack ducks?
    4. We live in South Texas so a/c runs a LOT during a summer day, once they are running does amp draw change in the afternoon as opposed to morning/evening?

Any other thoughts?
    Anyone try using a portable floor a/c for the bedroom at night?
    Or just shutting off or raising temp on the main 15k at night?
    Shut off water heater when done showering?

We are ready to pull the trigger but really worried about this. Dealer said if there's a problem with breaker popping then we could take to the dealer for a fix. Not sure what that would be.

On another note she said we could order one without the 2nd a/c and they they would install it at their shop since it would be separate wiring. Would be costly though ($2000?)
    We have the 2021 29G with 2 AC's and 30 amp service. It has a controller that will turn off the front (bedroom on ours) AC if you were to say turn on the microwave (not sure why anyone would use a mirco while camping LOL ). I have watched the power panel and it shows the amperage draw and with both running they only seems to draw about 10-12 amps. I am sure the draw is higher when it initially starts. Never had a breaker pop yet. I have ran both with the water heater on also. Here in Tennessee with the humidity it can get pretty warm.
    The main thing as the dealer explained in the walk through is the "smart control" that will turn the compressor off on the one if the draw starts getting too high elsewhere.
    Neil and Joyce Anderson
    2021 Grand Design Momentum 29G
    2010 F350SD Dually / 2019 Harley Ultra Limited (Mine) / 2016 Harley Street Glide (Wife's)
    Might get to retire someday if we ever stop spending money!!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you even think you might ever want two ACs, don’t even consider a 30A rig. With 30A, even with a single AC, you always have to be thinking about power use. With a 50A, you never even think about it even with 2 ACs running.

30A RV has a 3600W capacity, or a little more than 2 hairdryers. A 50A RV is 12,000W.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update: I called GD customer service today. Surprisingly the CS agent recommended only running 1 a/c at a time. He said yes, you can run both but would recommend you run the frig and water heater on propane! What a great design! I'm guessing that's why GD is installing the RV Airflow in all their new Momentum's in the 15k ac's to eliminate the dump vents and push more in the racetrack ducts. Wife is wondering if we just run the main and use a floor portable if that would suffice? And yes, it sucks that you buy a new $50k+ trailer and would have to do this but we can't find any other brand that we like, Heartland Torque T281 comes closest that we can find.
    Last edited by Texdan; 07-17-2020 at 10:24 AM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update: I called GD customer service today. Surprisingly the CS agent recommended only running 1 a/c at a time. He said yes, you can run both but would recommend you run the frig and water heater on propane! What a great design! I'm guessing that's why GD is installing the RV Airflow in all their new Momentum's in the 15k ac's to eliminate the dump vents and push more in the racetrack ducts. Wife is wondering if we just run the main and use a floor portable if that would suffice? And yes, it sucks that you buy a new $50k+ trailer and would have to do this but we can't find any other brand that we like, Heartland Torque T281 comes closest that we can find.
    You’ll still struggle with power issues running a portable AC on 30A. One AC, refrigerator, water heater and converter is about the limit. Turn on a microwave, hair dryer or most any other significant load and it will trip the breaker on the pedestal.

You want a 50A rig.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Appreciate everyone's comments. I have posted this in the General Tech Heat & A/C thread so anyone who would care to comment please use that thread. Figured that thread would be the one where the a/c 'experts' would hang out! :-)

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep in mind, 50A service is really 100A as there are 2x 50A breakers...

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandesigner View Post
    Keep in mind, 50A service is really 100A as there are 2x 50A breakers...
    I understand the 30 amp design sucks. But they don't have a 50 amp option for the Momentum G Toy Haulers (25G, 28G, etc) and we really like the 28G layout.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand the 30 amp design sucks. But they don't have a 50 amp option for the Momentum G Toy Haulers (25G, 28G, etc) and we really like the 28G layout.
    So I decided to check this out today, since the dealer walk through explained this new technology to me, but was concerned and very curious myself.
    I went out earlier, it is 96 degrees here, heat index over 100. TT is sitting in the heat, inside temp was 87. I turned on both A/C's to Cool High and let them get going. Went to the control panel and checked the draw, 20 amps.
    That still leaves 10 amps to play with. I set the fridge to only be electric, jumped up to 22 amps. No hiccup at all.
    Now the trips we have been on, once the TT cools down after the initial, I have never had both A/C's kick on except when the living area A/C was already running and one of us got in the shower, then bedroom A/C kicks on also.
    The gentleman that did the walk through was quite explanatory on this subject with me since I questioned the 30 amp dual A/C set up.
    They are low amp draw units, one unit on high cool draws 10 amps, so there really seems to not be an issue.
    The initial A/C startup will draw extra of course when the compressor initially starts but then settles at 10 amp draw. The "smart" control panel will adjust for this if needed I was told. I would not normally fire both A/C's right together like I did today, I would let one get going then start the other but i wanted to see what it would do if I started them basically at the same time.
    Neil and Joyce Anderson
    2021 Grand Design Momentum 29G
    2010 F350SD Dually / 2019 Harley Ultra Limited (Mine) / 2016 Harley Street Glide (Wife's)
    Might get to retire someday if we ever stop spending money!!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by naanderson321 View Post
    So I decided to check this out today, since the dealer walk through explained this new technology to me, but was concerned and very curious myself.
    I went out earlier, it is 96 degrees here, heat index over 100. TT is sitting in the heat, inside temp was 87. I turned on both A/C's to Cool High and let them get going. Went to the control panel and checked the draw, 20 amps.
    That still leaves 10 amps to play with. I set the fridge to only be electric, jumped up to 22 amps. No hiccup at all.
    Now the trips we have been on, once the TT cools down after the initial, I have never had both A/C's kick on except when the living area A/C was already running and one of us got in the shower, then bedroom A/C kicks on also.
    The gentleman that did the walk through was quite explanatory on this subject with me since I questioned the 30 amp dual A/C set up.
    They are low amp draw units, one unit on high cool draws 10 amps, so there really seems to not be an issue.
    The initial A/C startup will draw extra of course when the compressor initially starts but then settles at 10 amp draw. The "smart" control panel will adjust for this if needed I was told. I would not normally fire both A/C's right together like I did today, I would let one get going then start the other but i wanted to see what it would do if I started them basically at the same time.
    Can you provide details on the 2 a/c's like brand and model? I know Coleman makes a low amp model, wonder if that's what Grand Design is using? And frig only using 2 amps? I've figured 6. If so this is GREAT news! I have been spending all afternoon learning about the Precision Circuits Power Control System that I saw in a 28G here in Texas yesterday. It's GD's solution to managing the power with only 30 amps on TT's that should be 50!
    Last edited by Texdan; 07-17-2020 at 05:12 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast