User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadiansteelman View Post
    I can easily lift my 303 Reflection fifth wheel off the ground using the electric stabilizers. They have plenty of power to lift wheels off the ground. However, I use boards under one set of wheels to level the trailer side to side to take the strain off the stabilizers and trailer frame. Having had both hydraulic and electric stabilizers, I prefer electric as they don’t leak down over time like the hydraulic ones did.
    I maybe wrong but I am repeating what a camping world RV salesman told me. He also said that if you have weak batteries and no hook ups that the electric ones maybe a problem verses the hydraulics. Funny I would assume that Hydraulics would use batteries as well. Maybe he was referring to the first release of these levelers because I was looking at 2015 model not the new ones that are offered on everything today.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LarJam View Post
    I maybe wrong but I am repeating what a camping world RV salesman told me. He also said that if you have weak batteries and no hook ups that the electric ones maybe a problem verses the hydraulics. Funny I would assume that Hydraulics would use batteries as well. Maybe he was referring to the first release of these levelers because I was looking at 2015 model not the new ones that are offered on everything today.
    Rule #1 of real campers - we do not go to CW.

Every electric jack and stabilizer can be individually actuated up or down with nothing more than a ratchet. Hydraulic can only come down with no power.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Rule #1 of real campers - we do not go to CW.

Every electric jack and stabilizer can be individually actuated up or down with nothing more than a ratchet. Hydraulic can only come down with no power.

Incorrect Info ... Hydraulic levelers (mid/rear) and front hyd LG can ALL be retracted or extended with NO battery power by simply using a cordless drill at the end of the hyd pump motor... The Hydac valve for each item to move also has to be manually opened with an allen wrench and then manually closed when done...

The above process is KNOWN as Manual Override and you best know how to do this if you have hydraulic slide outs and six point hyd leveling system..

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper02 View Post
    Incorrect Info ... Hydraulic levelers (mid/rear) and front hyd LG can ALL be retracted or extended with NO battery power by simply using a cordless drill at the end of the hyd pump motor... The Hydac valve for each item to move also has to be manually opened with an allen wrench and then manually closed when done...

The above process is KNOWN as Manual Override and you best know how to do this if you have hydraulic slide outs and six point hyd leveling system..
    Fair point. I was answering from an emergency perspective but it's very true many campers do travel with rechargeable tools these days... Then again, best solution for a dead house battery is quality jumper cables that can reach from the TV.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could be wrong but wouldn't plugging the umbilical into the TV give battery power?
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the RV batteries are dead or really low the pickup truck 7 way plug wire is not heavy enough to carry the current needed for the hydraulic pump motor to work.

It would however, after an extended period of idling the truck put maybe enough charge into the batteries to get by.

Also the converter alone from shore power cannot handle the initial amperage draw from the pump motor.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT ROC View Post
    I could be wrong but wouldn't plugging the umbilical into the TV give battery power?
    No sir. Tiny little 10GA lead cannot carry the amps needed. Easiest way is jumper cables or jump box. I actually have heavy gauge lines with Andersons front and rear on the truck to power the portable winch and also make great connections for jumper cables.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    No sir. Tiny little 10GA lead cannot carry the amps needed. Easiest way is jumper cables or jump box. I actually have heavy gauge lines with Andersons front and rear on the truck to power the portable winch and also make great connections for jumper cables.
    Good to know. I had never tried it and now I don't have to. Thanks Rob!
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234