User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

28G 2nd A/C questions 30 amp questions

We are looking at the 28G and like many others are questioning the use of 30amps for 2 a/c's. We spoke with the dealer who called her rep and she was told there was a problem with the initial trailers with the breaker popping (I think mainly on start up) but that they have fixed the problem on the newer ones with soft starts. She also mentioned the Coleman a/c's are using less amps than before. Unfortunately I don't know the models of the 15/13.5k Colemans to research their startup/running amp figures. Here's my questions:

1. Is anyone having this blown breaker problem on a 2020/21 model 25G/28G??
    2. Does anyone have a work around?
    3. Is the 2nd a/c (coming from factory) ducted into the racetrack ducks?
    4. We live in South Texas so a/c runs a LOT during a summer day, once they are running does amp draw change in the afternoon as opposed to morning/evening?

Any other thoughts?
    Anyone try using a portable floor a/c for the bedroom at night?
    Or just shutting off or raising temp on the main 15k at night?
    Shut off water heater when done showering?

We are ready to pull the trigger but really worried about this. Dealer said if there's a problem with breaker popping then we could take to the dealer for a fix. Not sure what that would be.

On another note she said we could order one without the 2nd a/c and they they would install it at their shop since it would be separate wiring. Would be costly though ($2000?)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update: I called GD customer service today. Surprisingly the CS agent recommended only running 1 a/c at a time. He said yes, you can run both but would recommend you run the frig and water heater on propane! What a great design! I'm guessing that's why GD is installing the RV Airflow in all their new Momentum's in the 15k ac's to eliminate the dump vents and push more in the racetrack ducts. Wife is wondering if we just run the main and use a floor portable if that would suffice? And yes, it sucks that you buy a new $50k+ trailer and would have to do this but we can't find any other brand that we like. Heartland Torque T281 comes closest that we can find.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd thought some of the 30A TTs that had a 2nd A/C option would come with a EMS for load shedding to meet NEC & RVIA.

NEC 551.42 - Recreational Vehicles and Recreational Vehicle Parks
    (D) More Than Five Circuits Without a Listed Energy Management System.
    A 50-ampere, 120/208-240-volt power-supply assembly and a minimum 50-ampere-rated panelboard shall be used where six or more circuits are employed. The load distribution shall ensure a reasonable current balance between phases.

Precision Circuits is the Mini-EMS in some of the GD fifth wheels that does load shedding while connected to 30A RV pedestal service.

Below is from Intellitec. https://www.intellitec.com/wp-conten...-00912-000.pdf

The RVIA (Recreational Vehicle Industry Association), in conjunction with the NEC (National Electrical Code),
    require that a vehicle with 30 Amp service be equipped with a maximum of five 15 or 20Amp circuit breakers unless an energy management system is used.
    As a result, using the 30A SMART EMS allows the use of two additional breakers, enabling the vehicle to be equipped with additional circuits.

It is also required that the energy management system must limit the average current entering the main circuit breaker over a three-hour period to 80% of the 20 or 30 Amp service rating. Therefore, if average current entering the main circuit breaker over a three-hour period exceeds 80% of 30Amps (24Amps) when 30A service is selected, or 80% of 20 Amps (16Amps) when 20A service is selected, the 30A SMART EMS will automatically change the service limit to 80% of the selected service.

Correspondingly, the 30A SMART EMS will restore the service limit to the full 30 or 20Amp value when the average current drops below 80% of the service rating.
    When the lowered service limits are enabled as a result of average current exceeding 80% of the service rating, the decimal point in the lower right-hand corner of the Load Meter on the Display Module will be lit.
    In addition, the 30A SMART EMS has the capability of using the energy management feature when the gen-set is the power source, preventing gen-set circuit breaker tripping and overload.
    Last edited by gbkims; 07-17-2020 at 01:35 PM. Reason: grammer, missing words
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    I'd thought some of the 30A TTs that had a 2nd A/C option would come with a EMS for load shedding to meet NEC & RVIA.

NEC 551.42 - Recreational Vehicles and Recreational Vehicle Parks
    (D) More Than Five Circuits Without a Listed Energy Management System.
    A 50-ampere, 120/208-240-volt power-supply assembly and a minimum 50-ampere-rated panelboard shall be used where six or more circuits are employed. The load distribution shall ensure a reasonable current balance between phases.

Precision Circuits is the Mini-EMS in some of the GD fifth wheels that does load shedding while connected to 30A RV pedestal service.

This is from Intellitec. https://www.intellitec.com/wp-conten...-00912-000.pdf

The RVIA (Recreational Vehicle Industry Association), in conjunction with the NEC (National Electrical Code),
    require that a vehicle with 30Amp service be equipped with a maximum of five 15 or 20Amp circuit breakers unless an energy management system is used.
    As a result, using the allows the use of two additional breakers, enabling the vehicle to be equipped with additional circuits.

It is also required that the energy management system must limit the average current entering the main circuit breaker over a three-hour period to 80% of the 20 or
    30Amp service rating. Therefore, if exceeds 80% of 30Amps (24Amps) when 30A service is selected, or 80% of 20Amps (16Amps) when 20A service is selected,
    the 30A SMART EMS will automatically change the service limit to 80% of the selected service.

Correspondingly,the 30A SMART EMS will restore the service limit to the full 30 or 20Amp value when the average current drops below 80% of the service rating.
    When the lowered service limits are enabled as a result of average current exceeding 80% of the service rating, the decimal point in the lower right-hand corner of the Load Meter on the Display Module will be lit.
    In addition, the has the capability of using the energy management feature when the gen-set is the power source, preventing gen-set circuit breaker tripping and overload.
    This is GREAT info Gene (I assume it's from you and not Kim :-) ). It appears they are installed where you can determine the 'shut off' order, I wonder how the factory does that? And I wonder if this is the same unit they put in the Momentum G series TT's? I'm gonna continue researching this but my immediate thought is that I'd have this shut off order:

1. Water Heater
    2. 2nd (bedroom) a/c
    3. Frig
    4. ??? Not sure what else would be on, maybe bathroom breaker where wife's hair dryer would be or outlet for coffee pot

Thanks for the great post!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another thought: does anyone know if GD could build the trailer as a 50 amp as a special order? I'm guessing 'no' but thought I'd ask.