User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Momentum 29G Generator question

The other day I was running both A/Cs from the generator, after about 20 minutes the generator just shut off ? Oil is half way between add and full marks.
    Shortleggs

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    The other day I was running both A/Cs from the generator, after about 20 minutes the generator just shut off ? Oil is half way between add and full marks.
    Would the generator restart?
    Were any fault codes shown?
    If you don't already have one I suggest you go to the Cummins Onan website and download an operating / maintenance manual.
    Also you might add oil to the high mark to ensure that the level is above the low oil cutoff level.
    Larry
    Larry & Paula
    2019 Momentum 21G
    Equalizer 1400 / 14000
    2012 Ram 2500 4x4 CTD

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't try to restart and wasn't near the switch to see if it threw a code, I have downloaded the manual. I'll get some oil before I try to restart. Thanks, keep you posted.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update, after checking oil as per generator manual all is good. FYI on my Cummins Onan 4000 do not screw the dipstick in to check oil level. Ran generator for two minutes without a load then turned one A/C on and ran about 20 minutes with no issues.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Update, after checking oil as per generator manual all is good. FYI on my Cummins Onan 4000 do not screw the dipstick in to check oil level. Ran generator for two minutes without a load then turned one A/C on and ran about 20 minutes with no issues.
    I went back and re-read your original post. You stated you were running both a/c units when the generator tripped. I didn't catch that the first time. You will not be able to run both a/c units on the generator or when plugged in to 30 amp source. I would be amazed if able to start the second unit with first one running. I have noted several posts on this forum discussing why GD would have only 30 amp service and two a/c units on several of their trailers. The a/c units will draw 13 to 18 amps each and twice that for short duration starting current.
    For example the gas ignition stopped working on my water heater so had to use the electric heating element only and was running the a/c. Forgot a couple of times, used micro wave, 1000 watts, tripped 30 amp breaker. Started coffee pot, 1500 watts to perk, tripped breaker. Wife's hair dryer, 1500 watts. My 21G has only one a/c unit.
    Watts equal volts times current or 30 amps X 120 volts = 3600 watts.

Larry
    Larry & Paula
    2019 Momentum 21G
    Equalizer 1400 / 14000
    2012 Ram 2500 4x4 CTD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Subvet0615 View Post
    I went back and re-read your original post. You stated you were running both a/c units when the generator tripped. I didn't catch that the first time. You will not be able to run both a/c units on the generator or when plugged in to 30 amp source. I would be amazed if able to start the second unit with first one running. I have noted several posts on this forum discussing why GD would have only 30 amp service and two a/c units on several of their trailers. The a/c units will draw 13 to 18 amps each and twice that for short duration starting current.
    For example the gas ignition stopped working on my water heater so had to use the electric heating element only and was running the a/c. Forgot a couple of times, used micro wave, 1000 watts, tripped 30 amp breaker. Started coffee pot, 1500 watts to perk, tripped breaker. Wife's hair dryer, 1500 watts. My 21G has only one a/c unit.
    Watts equal volts times current or 30 amps X 120 volts = 3600 watts.

Larry
    Actually, these new 29G's the A/C's are only pulling 10 amps when running on high. I did this test on my 29G myself, was pretty amazed. Both A/C's, the fridge on electric only, all lights on, I was drawing 23 amps. The control center will also if needed "cycle" the front A/C out if needed. Say you have a lot running and turn on the microwave, the front A/C will turn off the compressor while the micro is on, then a couple minutes after the micro is off it cycles the compressor back on. New technology is pretty cool.
    Neil and Joyce Anderson
    2021 Grand Design Momentum 29G
    2010 F350SD Dually / 2019 Harley Ultra Limited (Mine) / 2016 Harley Street Glide (Wife's)
    Might get to retire someday if we ever stop spending money!!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by naanderson321 View Post
    Actually, these new 29G's the A/C's are only pulling 10 amps when running on high. I did this test on my 29G myself, was pretty amazed. Both A/C's, the fridge on electric only, all lights on, I was drawing 23 amps. The control center will also if needed "cycle" the front A/C out if needed. Say you have a lot running and turn on the microwave, the front A/C will turn off the compressor while the micro is on, then a couple minutes after the micro is off it cycles the compressor back on. New technology is pretty cool.
    Have you tried running both a/c's off the generator again?
    Larry & Paula
    2019 Momentum 21G
    Equalizer 1400 / 14000
    2012 Ram 2500 4x4 CTD

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neil, this what my dealer explained to me, I haven't tried yet but will. What they did not tell me is you can't do this with the generator a. Imagine that!!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have and the generator quit after 20 minutes, should have tried to restart but didn't want to screw anything up, this is all new to me !!🤣

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Subvet0615 View Post
    Have you tried running both a/c's off the generator again?
    I have not yet, but am going to try this, I actually have not ran anything with the genny yet. I have only ran the genny a couple times just to test it actually ran, need to get gas, and real gas too, not ethanol gas before I do. Will try before this weekend so I can do a driveway test of this.
    Neil and Joyce Anderson
    2021 Grand Design Momentum 29G
    2010 F350SD Dually / 2019 Harley Ultra Limited (Mine) / 2016 Harley Street Glide (Wife's)
    Might get to retire someday if we ever stop spending money!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast