User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boy, are you ever right about the NOC, SubVet! The first time I ever went there (and also stayed at Fontana Village, for that matter) was in 1981. The NOC was just a small operation, but very well run, even that long ago. I recently came across a few postcards from my visit there during that time in the ancient past! lol
    One of my most amazing memories of the Lake Fontana area was about six years ago, when we witnessed a floodwater release from the Fontana Dam, after a huge amount of rain had fallen in a short time. The power of that release rumbled through the ground beneath our feet and shook our bodies, and the massive clouds of mist that billowed up from the surging waters escaping the spillways made it feel like we were in a special-effects scene of a heart-pounding adventure movie! I am so thankful to have experienced those things, especially now that Gary and I are stuck here in a boring suburb of Florida, with not a mountain or tumbling river in site. Yep, we're plotting our escape in our Imagine 2850MK, and the sooner, the better! We might just stay with the nice couple that bought our property in BFE. They've been wondering when we'll get a chance to visit!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have been to Bald River Falls, and loved it! Have also done the waterfall road between Franklin and Highlands. Now, that's another hair-raising drive if you are a passenger and looking down into the abyss. Ahhh!!! But it's totally worth the terror, and I'm sure we'll keep doing it every chance we get! lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyRabbit View Post
    Hi to you, too, xrated! You are absolutely right about Hwy 28 to Franklin. In my mind, it's just as stomach-turning as the Tail! When heading north from Franklin, we would usually turn left off of 28 a few miles up the road and hop on to Needmore Road, which runs along the other side of the Little Tennessee River from Hwy 28. The difference is pretty interesting. While Hwy 28 runs alongside, yet above, the river, a good portion of the ride on Needmore Road (very narrow, but decently maintained, gravel road) runs right next to the river; so close that if you were to take your eyes off the road for even a moment, you'd probably end up in the river! lol Fortunately, we were not on motorcycles when traveling that road, but it sure was a beautiful view! Our Chevy Dooley (sp?) would be covered with dust when we finally made it to the black-top, but who cares? We lived in the country, anyway, right smack in the middle of BFE!
    By the way, if you ever get a chance, the cuban sandwiches at The Filling Station in Bryson City are awesome!!! Actually, EVERYTHING they serve there is awesome!!!
    Bunny Rabbit - another road off 28 coming out of Franklin is Iolta Church Rd. It winds it's way for several miles, ending up on Tellico Rd crossing the Little Tennessee River to re-enter 28. We love finding back country roads/lanes. And you are right about the Cuban sandwiches at High Test Deli (f/k/a Filling Station). DH has had Cuban sandwiches all over on his many travels for work and he says they are the best he's ever had. Their homemade ice cream sandwiches are good too! Many different flavor combos to choose from.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BunnyRabbit,
    You come back up here and you might not go back! We lived near Kississimee/St Cloud after I got out of the service. We lived there for about 10 years. As you said FLAT. Plus we dealt with all the Disney and Universal Studio's tourist traffic. I need the woods and mountians!
    Stay Safe on your travels!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, Tjndsa. Thank you for the update on the deli's name. I wish I was Samantha from that old show 'Bewitched' so I could twinkle my nose and magically be at that awesome High Test Deli for lunch! Haven't had a Cuban sandwich that good since the last time I was there!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are right about the traffic in most of Florida, SubVet. It is getting worse by the day! Can't wait to get back to my beloved mountains again, even if only for a visit.
    Safe travels to you, too!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyRabbit View Post
    Hi, Tjndsa. Thank you for the update on the deli's name. I wish I was Samantha from that old show 'Bewitched' so I could twinkle my nose and magically be at that awesome High Test Deli for lunch! Haven't had a Cuban sandwich that good since the last time I was there!
    Not sure what part of FL you're currently in, but there is a really good (small) Cuban restaurant (forgot the name of it) in Tampa near the intersection of Dale Mabry & Kennedy street. They have good Cuban sandwiches and homemade garbanzo bean soup. If you're close enough you may want to check it out.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in Bradenton, about an hour south of Tampa. Next time I'm up that way, I'll be sure to give it a try!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123