User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone towing a 2970RL?

I am looking for a little reassurance on this and hoping for someone to make me feel better.

Wife and I bought a toy hauler last fall. Thought this was the swiss army knife of RVs. Long story short, I can't get it right. I am using 2017 F350 6.7l diesel to tow. RV is 9100 lbs dry. Almost 14 ft tall RV. I have been to the CAT scale 4 times and Equalizer WD hitch set up. RV is brand new. Bottom line is I can't get above 60mph without feeling like it's going off the road. The slightest breeze and it pushes me laterally to the rumble strips. We're give up. Camping is not supposed to be stressful. We're want to travel more than an hour from home which is about max for my nerves. I've towed boats and motorcycles my whole life. Nothing like this mess.

We're are biting the bullet, taking the hit and swapping it on a 2970RL.

Can someone make me feel better and tell me this thing will pull like a dream in comparison.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsheverly View Post
    I am looking for a little reassurance on this and hoping for someone to make me feel better.

Wife and I bought a toy hauler last fall. Thought this was the swiss army knife of RVs. Long story short, I can't get it right. I am using 2017 F350 6.7l diesel to tow. RV is 9100 lbs dry. Almost 14 ft tall RV. I have been to the CAT scale 4 times and Equalizer WD hitch set up. RV is brand new. Bottom line is I can't get above 60mph without feeling like it's going off the road. The slightest breeze and it pushes me laterally to the rumble strips. We're give up. Camping is not supposed to be stressful. We're want to travel more than an hour from home which is about max for my nerves. I've towed boats and motorcycles my whole life. Nothing like this mess.

Can someone make me feel better and tell me this thing will pull like a dream in comparison.
    Seems to me that your WDH is either setup wrong or there is something wrong with the trailer.

What is your tongue weight? It should be in the 10 - 15% range ready to camp.
    Are your tires wearing funny? If you have an alignment issue then the trailer could react unstable while towing.
    How much weight do you have in the toy hauler garage? If this causes a very lite tongue weight then it will induce a lot of sway.
    Before I trade in the toy hauler I would still check out these couple of things and others that some may suggest.

To answer your question though, I tow a 297RSTS which is the Reflection version of the 2970RL in the Imagine line. I can tow comfortably even at 80 MPH if I want to. I have been able to do this with both my 2009 Tundra which was maxed out as well as my 2019 SRW 3500 RAM. The only thing that I would be concerned about is that if something is not setup properly on the new trailer you will have the same issues. I do use a Reese Straightline hitch setup as well that works great when dialed in properly. It did need some fine tuning to make sure all of the weight was brought back to the front axle and make the trailer and truck both sit level for best performance.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello jsheverly
    My wife and I recently purchased a 2020 Imagine 2970RL, my TV is a 2016 F350 DRW 6.7 Diesel and it tows wonderfully. Hitch is Blue-ox 15K bars. I have a Stromberg caddy mounted to the tongue with supports a ES3000W Honda. Batteries 2 Battle Born Lithium and the hitch weight is 1,050 lb

2 weeks ago we towed from Dana Point, CA to Mammoth Lakes encountering 40-60 mph wind gusts just outside of Kramer Junction. Felt it yes, however rig was so well planted there were no white knucklers. Couldn't be happier. Colorado in September. Hope this helps.

Don

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Don. I appreciate your response. Makes me feel a little better.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Calbar, something isn't right. You should be able to tame that trailer with the proper tongue weight and towing level. I towed a 2670 MK (tail heavy, rear kitchen) with an Equalizer hitch and I was able to dial it in. It took a few trips to the CAT scale to get it right but I was able to do it. I put about 5000 mi on that combination. But, because I was towing with a half ton truck with low payload, I upgraded my hitch to a ProPride 3P. When I picked up my new 2970RL from the dealer, I towed it home with my Equalizer hitch, nose high, not dialed in (about 50 miles) and it towed just fine. The 2970RL is well balanced front to back. Side to side, like most trailers, one side is heavier than the other. Best luck, Frank.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are towing our 2021 2970RL with a 1996 Chevy K3500 7.4L Gas SRW. I think it tows very nice. Can't tell it's back there other than the added weight. Using an Equalizer E2 WDH. I will say that on the way home from taking delivery it got a little uncomfortable. I pulled into the first rest stop and increased the tongue weight by putting some equipment/gear in the pass through. After that no problems. I think ours tows so well I'm trying to convince my wife that she could drive. I really think she could.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2970 and started out with a half ton ram pulling it. Took it to Nashville from Kansas with the half ton and only had a few semi’s cause any sort of uneasy feeling. We upgraded last year to a 3/4 ton gasser and feel much more confident. Even so, it did take a couple of trips to get the weight distribution hitch dialed into the new truck. There are a lot of videos on YouTube that can help answer questions. I always start with the specific brands manufacturer videos.

If you are still uncomfortable towing, there’s always a pro pride or Hensley hitch to compensate. Yes they are fairly expensive but they’re definitely worth it for peace of mind and not taking a huge hit on swapping out campers. If layout or no need of the toy hauler are valid considerations, by all means trade. But like others have stated above, either you’re set up is not quite right or the loaded weight isn’t quite distributed correctly and assuming you’re planning to take your hitch to the next camper, there’s a fair chance you may still feel the same uneasiness with your next camper. RV dealers are not always the best at setting up or adjusting hitches either. Perhaps a mobile tech with a good deal of experience could be of assistance with the setup?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second the hensley hitch!!