User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Water pump replacement - what did you get?

We will be replacing the water pump in our 2018 Solitude 384GK, and we’re looking for suggestions on pumps others have been happy with. Thank you for sharing your wisdom!
    Kim & James | 2018 Solitude 384GK | 2021 Ram 3500 Limited CC LB DRW

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kspud66 View Post
    We will be replacing the water pump in our 2018 Solitude 384GK, and we’re looking for suggestions on pumps others have been happy with. Thank you for sharing your wisdom!
    After problems with the cheap yellow Lippert pump in two Grand Design trailers - the second one never worked at all - I bought the ShurFlo 4008-101-E65. It has worked like a champ from day one.

Plug and play installation, fairly quiet, good flow, no unnecessary cycling, sucks anti-freeze from a bottle easily, very pleased.

https://www.amazon.com/Shurflo-Revol...5117691&sr=8-1
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We decided to purchase another pump to have as a back-up since we boondock frequently, but decided to purchase a better pump and one offering better performance so we bought this:
    Remco 55AQUAJET-ARV Aquajet Variable Speed 5.3 GPM RV Water Pump. Since we have been boondocking I have not had the opportunity to install it yet, so I cannot give my experience with it yet. All I can say is in my research, it is not only highly regarded, but it is frequently used in high end motor homes, 5th wheels and I believe Air Stream.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BB&LAB View Post
    We decided to purchase another pump to have as a back-up since we boondock frequently, but decided to purchase a better pump and one offering better performance so we bought this:
    Remco 55AQUAJET-ARV Aquajet Variable Speed 5.3 GPM RV Water Pump. Since we have been boondocking I have not had the opportunity to install it yet, so I cannot give my experience with it yet. All I can say is in my research, it is not only highly regarded, but it is frequently used in high end motor homes, 5th wheels and I believe Air Stream.
    Bruce,

Did you ever install the Aquajet in your Solitude? Any issues (too much line pressure or current draw over "standard" pump)? I am going to need to replace my pump and want to make sure I don't create more problems. Thanks.
    Greg and Colleen Gates
    Albuquerque, NM
    2020 Solitude 344 GK
    2019 F350 Lariat Superduty DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have purchased a number of Shurflo pumps over the years and never had a failure. Have one in my boat, a portable I use for camping (mounted in a plastic toolbox), one in my shed, and few in previous TT and motorhomes.

By the way, the portable one works great for boondocking if you have jugs of fresh water and want to pump it into the fresh water tank. I also use that to sanitize the water lines from the Nautilus panel throughout the TT. I mix the bleach with water in a 5 gallon bucket (clean of course) and it sucks it out of the pail without any effort - I like to hook up my water hoses in that line so they get sanitized too. ...off on a tangent...
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggates View Post
    Bruce,

Did you ever install the Aquajet in your Solitude? Any issues (too much line pressure or current draw over "standard" pump)? I am going to need to replace my pump and want to make sure I don't create more problems. Thanks.
    Hi Greg, It did not work out well for us because the water inlet connection kept disconnecting despite insuring it was snapped into place per the install instructions. Also an in-line pressure gauge I installed was showing 90 - 100PSI and received little to know help from customer service. I replaced it with a Shurflow pump which has worked flawlessly, including the PSI reading falling within the Shurflow specs.
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Greg, It did not work out well for us because the water inlet connection kept disconnecting despite insuring it was snapped into place per the install instructions. Also an in-line pressure gauge I installed was showing 90 - 100PSI and received little to know help from customer service. I replaced it with a Shurflow pump which has worked flawlessly, including the PSI reading falling within the Shurflow specs.
    @ggates

I installed the Aquajet. It's been working OK, but getting it to work required a lot of customer service -- including taking what they had to say largely on faith, not logic. If I had to do it all over again, I would NOT go with the Aquajet.

When I first installed the pump, it would frequently cycle on its own without turning a faucet on. I had an in-line, continuous monitoring pressure gauge in the system, and I was also experiencing very high at rest line pressures. 90-100 and more. I also had an expansion tank in the system to reduce pump cycling. I was never able to set the expansion tank's cut-in/cut-out pressures so that the Aquajet was happy. The pump just wouldn't stop pumping and increasing line pressure.

I called customer service and reported the above issues. First thing they said was I had to remove the expansion tank. That, they said, was causing the Aquajet to think it needed to keep pumping, not turn off, and build excessive pressure. When I told them I had a pressure gauge in the system, they guy said, "Why do you need a pressure gauge?" He said I had to take it out because the gauge had a diaphragm that was also fooling the Aquajet.

So in the end (because I now owned the outrageously expensive $240+ pump) I removed the pressure gauge and expansion tank. Now the pump only cycles when I open a faucet (everytime I open a faucet), and pressure in the system is 50 psi or so.

I don't like it, but I'll leave the system alone until the Aquajet dies. Like I said, the pump costs way too much and it doesn't work very well.

-Steve
    Last edited by andrewssteve; 12-02-2021 at 06:20 PM.
    Steve and Renee
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes, Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback. After all of the answers and research, I am going to go with a Shurflow. Seems like an easy switchover.
    Greg and Colleen Gates
    Albuquerque, NM
    2020 Solitude 344 GK
    2019 F350 Lariat Superduty DRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggates View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. After all of the answers and research, I am going to go with a Shurflow. Seems like an easy switchover.
    You are welcome, you can't go wrong with a Shurflo - best of luck.
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R