User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forward and Backward movement while towing and Noises when Starting or Stopping

We have a Solitude 369RL which we tow with a GMC 2500HD using a Curt Q20 Pro hitch. We have noticed two problems. The first is a forward and backward motion, a mild jerking. This is a horizontal motion that is not associated with highway bumps or with changes in engine acceleration. We have had the trailer brakes and the truck checked. All are operating correctly. The second problem is a clunking sound associated with starting and stopping. Both of the problems are intermittent. The trailer and truck are both new with less than 1000 miles of towing. Any ideas? Thanks for the help.

Norcalrv1
    I have the same hitch and I think mine does the same thing. I have towed 8-10,000 miles and don't really notice it. I have the Reflection 337. If the 5th wheel runs into the back of the truck when you apply the brakes you need to increase the braking on the 5th wheel. The brakes should go on the 5th wheel before the truck, it should not hit the hitch when you apply the brakes or you jackknife the whole rig. My truck is a one ton, that could make a difference. The adjustment is not difficult just go slow and stop a few times until you get. I
    Hope this helps.

Rod Zebb
    Fairfield, CA
    2014 Reflection 337
    2014 RAM 3500

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The forward/backward motion (better known as "chucking") is pretty normal and in our case gets a little worse when going over RR tracks or other bumps. I usually back off the throttle when coming up on a bump and that helps reduce the chucking. We also get that "clunking" noise during starts but not so much when stopping. I will say that you might be pushing the weight/payload limits of your 2500 with a loaded 369RL but it shouldn't affect the conditions you describe.
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa
    2014 Solitude 369RL S/N 104
    2012 F350 SWR 4x4 CC 6.7 Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May be the rubber spring in the TrailAir RotoFlex Pin Box causing the conditions you are experiencing.
    2015 F350 CC 4x4 KR High Capacity Tow Package
    2014 Momentum 355TH #770
    2014 Yamaha Adventurer 2+2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As to the "clunking" sound, ensure your bolts for the hitch are secured to the proper torque. When I first installed my hitch, I did not get the attachment in the bed quite tight enough and had a clunk every time I stopped or started. Sure enough, stopped and tightened, no more clunk.
    Don & Judy
    Charlotte - SPCA Special

2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 F350 Dually CC LB 6.7L

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a number of small movements within the hitch assembly that can add up to a clunk that is different than chucking. Particularly on a new hitch, this can be a stick/slip thing where everything grabs and then releases at once. The solution to this is to make sure that every interface within the hitch assembly is well greased and everything will move from truck pulling to trailer pushing without any noticeable clunking. We had this problem with our new Reese hitch and solved it completely with grease. The above reminder to re torque any bolts that go through bed liner material is also important. Even if originally torqued correctly, the spray in bed liner squeezes out of the joint and loosens the bolts.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all for all the help. The Solitude is well within the towing capacity of the GMC 2500HD. I have had the truck, the Solitude and the hitch inspected. They all past with flying colors. I am now convinced that the clunking on start up and braking is indeed the sum of small movements in the hitch and king pin box. This hitch is removable so it is connected to the truck by pins that attach it to a rail bolted to the truck bed and the hitch plate moves to allow flexibility between the truck and the trailer. All of this means that there will be some movement during braking and acceleration. Your responses indicate that the intermittent forward/backward motion may be "normal." Although it is unnerving, it hasn't been a stability or safety issue. I need to further investigate "chucking" and the potential movement in the TrailAir RotoFlex Pin Box. Again thanks for all the help.