User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Momentum 28G Towing questions

We are thinking about buying the 28G but worried about the tongue weights. Published weight is 1300 but like most/all mfgs. this is probably low. Anyone ever weigh theirs on a CAT scale? Also, was figuring on getting a 1400/14k Equalizer WDH but now thinking I might have to go up to a 1600/16k? My problem is that the hitch on my Chevy 2500 HD has a max 1500# tongue weight. I know the WDH will distibute some of that but don't know how much? Anyone towing theirs with the Chevy 2500HD Duramax Diesel?

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdan View Post
    We are thinking about buying the 28G but worried about the tongue weights. Published weight is 1300 but like most/all mfgs. this is probably low. Anyone ever weigh theirs on a CAT scale? Also, was figuring on getting a 1400/14k Equalizer WDH but now thinking I might have to go up to a 1600/16k? My problem is that the hitch on my Chevy 2500 HD has a max 1500# tongue weight. I know the WDH will distibute some of that but don't know how much? Anyone towing theirs with the Chevy 2500HD Duramax Diesel?
    Texdan,
    If you haven't already done it, I suggest you do a search on "28G". There are several old posts about selection of WDH's for the 28G.

Larry
    Larry & Paula
    2019 Momentum 21G
    Equalizer 1400 / 14000
    2012 Ram 2500 4x4 CTD

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Subvet0615 View Post
    Texdan,
    If you haven't already done it, I suggest you do a search on "28G". There are several old posts about selection of WDH's for the 28G.

Larry
    Thanks I will do that.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wondering if anyone is towing a 25G or 28G with a 3/4 ton pickup and if so which one? And how does it handle? I am worried that I will be near the max on max hitch and other relevant towing numbers on my 2013 Chevy 2500HD Duramax truck.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hoping to find out the same info. I have a 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax too and ordered the 28G. Looking at the Pro Pride Hitch but the tongue weight is rated for 1400#s. Have read the tongue weight is much more.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FGCIII View Post
    Hoping to find out the same info. I have a 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax too and ordered the 28G. Looking at the Pro Pride Hitch but the tongue weight is rated for 1400#s. Have read the tongue weight is much more.
    I don't own a 28G but I recommend that you make the salesman show you the Vin # specific weight sheet for your 28G before you do the final signing.
    It's in the package with the generic owners manual and all information / warranty cards. It'll state the hitch weight of your unit when it left the factory without propane tanks and battery.
    I didn't know about this weight sheet when I purchased my 21G. Advertised weight was 950 lbs. and actual weight was 1152 when left factory. If I had known the actual weight I would not have left the dealer with a WDH with only 1000 lb. bars.

I have never seen this weight sheet included from two other brands that I have owned.

Larry
    Last edited by Subvet0615; 08-31-2020 at 12:06 PM.
    Larry & Paula
    2019 Momentum 21G
    Equalizer 1400 / 14000
    2012 Ram 2500 4x4 CTD

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Subvet0615 View Post
    I don't own a 28G but I recommend that you make the salesman show you the Vin # specific weight sheet for your 28G before you do the final signing.
    It's in the package with the generic owners manual and all information / warranty cards. It'll state the hitch weight of your unit when it left the factory without propane tanks and battery.
    I didn't know about this weight sheet when I purchased my 21G. Advertised weight was 950 lbs. and actual weight was 1152 when left factory. If I had known the actual weight I would not have left the dealer with a WDH with only 1000 lb. bars.

I have never seen this weight sheet included from two other brands that I have owned.

Larry
    Thank you. Will do. I think we have decide to go with the 25g.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased my 28G last Spring (2019), Towed it home with my 2003 Dodge 2500 diesel. At that point I realized I probably needed to upgrade the truck and bought a 2018 Dodge 2500 diesel which made a big difference. I do not know the specs on the 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax but I am guessing it can handle the 28G. I also purchased the Blue Ox SwayPro and have been impressed with how it handles the trailer. I ran into heavy winds this past weekend on the trip home and had no issues. I also plan on adding after market shocks in the next year. I would suggest reviewing the specs on your truck and validate the weights of the trailer (pin weight, gross weight). Also, i was concerned about the pin weight so I purchased a scale and weighed mine, which was 1200# so a bit off from the advertised weight. All in all I have not had any issues.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.
    Scott O.
    2018 Ram 2500 Big Horn Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins
    2019 28G Momentum

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcv1218 View Post
    I purchased my 28G last Spring (2019), Towed it home with my 2003 Dodge 2500 diesel. At that point I realized I probably needed to upgrade the truck and bought a 2018 Dodge 2500 diesel which made a big difference. I do not know the specs on the 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax but I am guessing it can handle the 28G. I also purchased the Blue Ox SwayPro and have been impressed with how it handles the trailer. I ran into heavy winds this past weekend on the trip home and had no issues. I also plan on adding after market shocks in the next year. I would suggest reviewing the specs on your truck and validate the weights of the trailer (pin weight, gross weight). Also, i was concerned about the pin weight so I purchased a scale and weighed mine, which was 1200# so a bit off from the advertised weight. All in all I have not had any issues.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.
    Thanks so much. My hitch is rated for 1500# and my payload is 2188#. Was your pin weight 1200# loaded with gear? Water? Generator? Propane? Sorry just wondering because every other person has said that it has been around 1450#. Thank you for your response.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much. My hitch is rated for 1500# and my payload is 2188#. Was your pin weight 1200# loaded with gear? Water? Generator? Propane? Sorry just wondering because every other person has said that it has been around 1450#. Thank you for your response.
    It was loaded with 2 quads (Yamaha Bear Tracker 441#, and Big Bear 556#), minimal water weight but a full tank of gas. I had the heavier quad in the back. So with the full tank of gas and the heavier quad in the back it helps offset the pin weight. Also, I added airbags to the rear suspension on the truck. The propane tanks where full but are the smaller tanks sold with the trailer. Also only one battery, which I now have two 6 volts. Also I do have the Onan 4K generator.
    Scott O.
    2018 Ram 2500 Big Horn Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins
    2019 28G Momentum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast