User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black tank flush at site or dump station?

I have a general question about where people tend to use the black tank flush, at the site or at the dump station? I have two separate hoses and to date have only used the black tank flush at a dump station. I have a anti-siphon attachment on my hose and I know there's another device on the trailer, but knowing most people keep the the orange hose and maybe some "other" stuff in the same container as said hose, I would not want that attaching to the hydrant at camp site.

Thanks,
    Joel

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the black tank flush procedure only at the campsite. If I’m bored, every-other day which is probably not necessary but I can’t imagine that will hurt anything. I think that once a week will probably be good if you are patient and thorough. One of the most common mistakes is that the operator gets side tracked when adding more water (with the valve closed) in order to produce a second or third flush and forgets the water is running / filling up the tank. I’ll let your imagination work on that one. ��. So, if you close the valve to add water to re-flush — STAY THERE, do not wander around or go to “check something real quick” as too many times (once for me on my previous rig) the person forgets and yep - you guessed it. I don’t exceed a 4 minute fill (from empty) before opening the valve again but of course it depends on how many gallon tank you have and how fast the water is exiting the hose. I also use a water “speedometer” (not the actual name) to tell me how many gallons per minute I’m putting in. I’m not sure what the benefit would be to wait until u get to the dump station when you are already hooked up to the sewer drain right at your site. Hope that is somewhat helpful.
    Dave and Sue Dion
    SCPO(SW), USN, (Ret)
    2020 GD Imagine 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT FX4 5.0L,1823 payload

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I have sewer hookups I'll dump and flush at the site. Besides the on-board flush system I also use a toilet wand. I have a clear elbow on the sewer outlet and there's a lot more "stuff" comes out using a flush wand.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmbopp View Post
    If I have sewer hookups I'll dump and flush at the site. Besides the on-board flush system I also use a toilet wand. I have a clear elbow on the sewer outlet and there's a lot more "stuff" comes out using a flush wand.
    If I had an on board system, I'd probably flush at the site too. Guess I haven't yet seen an orange hose run from the hydrant to camper at a site yet, and didn't want to go against proper etiquette.

Thanks,
    Joel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Schiefswret View Post
    I use the black tank flush procedure only at the campsite. If I’m bored, every-other day which is probably not necessary but I can’t imagine that will hurt anything. I think that once a week will probably be good if you are patient and thorough. One of the most common mistakes is that the operator gets side tracked when adding more water (with the valve closed) in order to produce a second or third flush and forgets the water is running / filling up the tank. I’ll let your imagination work on that one. ��. So, if you close the valve to add water to re-flush — STAY THERE, do not wander around or go to “check something real quick” as too many times (once for me on my previous rig) the person forgets and yep - you guessed it. I don’t exceed a 4 minute fill (from empty) before opening the valve again but of course it depends on how many gallon tank you have and how fast the water is exiting the hose. I also use a water “speedometer” (not the actual name) to tell me how many gallons per minute I’m putting in. I’m not sure what the benefit would be to wait until u get to the dump station when you are already hooked up to the sewer drain right at your site. Hope that is somewhat helpful.
    I stay with the task when flushing to avoid what you mentioned. Give's the me shudders just thinking about it.I do like to fill the tanks a couple times to complete flushing cycle.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I have full hookup campsite, I flush at campsite. My outside shower is in same location as all the other water connections. So, I usually just leave the fresh water hose hooked up to city water connection, and use the shower hose to connect to black tank flush. I don't use the shower for anything else, except maybe wash feet off with sand, so no worries about contamination.

If I use a dump station, and no one is waiting, I'll flush at the dump station. If there's a line, I don't.

Mike
    Last edited by Walaby; 07-19-2020 at 08:16 AM.
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When going to state or national parks they do not have full hookups. We go to these campgrounds a lot. If when leaving if there is not a line up we will go ahead and do a back flush.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vet&Eng_unplugged View Post
    I have a general question about where people tend to use the black tank flush, at the site or at the dump station? I have two separate hoses and to date have only used the black tank flush at a dump station. I have a anti-siphon attachment on my hose and I know there's another device on the trailer, but knowing most people keep the the orange hose and maybe some "other" stuff in the same container as said hose, I would not want that attaching to the hydrant at camp site.

Thanks,
    Joel
    If we have the hook ups it will flush at camp site. I always run the flush system also. Then add some gallons of water. When we get home, I connect to our septic system and run a few flushes.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First rule of connecting CG freshwater at site - use Clorox Anywhere and spray the hose bib threads and port. I do this and go on to level and connect shore power. After a few minute soak, and before connecting any freshwater gear, open the hose bib and let it flush through for a few minutes. This not only gets stagnant water out of the lateral but sediment which will keep your filters running longer. FYI - I'm a conscientious camper and have a a bucket and old fresh water hose that I can use if I need to redirect my flush water. This practice will alleviate your concern about and back flush, if in the rare possibility it could occur from some flushing their black tank. What forms naturally on hose bibs, especially with well water feed and the hot, humid South, for instance, can be worse.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I dump the black tank, I flush the black tank. If you don't flush after dumping you're leaving stuff in the black tank.

My orange hose is stored in an orange bucket. My blue hose is stored in a blue bucket. At the fresh water source I have a "Y" adapter with on/off valves on each side of the "Y". Blue connects to the same side of the "Y" all the time. Orange goes to the other side. I then have a 45° elbow with on/off valve at the black flush port. For black water/bacteria to get to the water source it would have to go through a one way valve, an off valve, 25' of water filled orange hose, and then through a final off valve. I just don't see that happening.
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    2021 337rls w/ Andersen hitch.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast