Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warm fridge

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warm fridge

We have a Momentum 395M with a norcold fridge, mod#2118. We are in the desert area where temps today will be 109. Been having trouble with warm, not cool enough, fridge. We are parked on level ground, but the fridge is not level. My question is can I override the auto level system in order to raise the front a little bit.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank P View Post
    We have a Momentum 395M with a norcold fridge, mod#2118. We are in the desert area where temps today will be 109. Been having trouble with warm, not cool enough, fridge. We are parked on level ground, but the fridge is not level. My question is can I override the auto level system in order to raise the front a little bit.
    Yes. At least we've done it.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup. But it probably wont help much. I have the same Nevercold, I have put auxiliary fans in the outside top vent, a couple inside the fridge & they help. Don't cram a lot of stuff in the fridge, it needs the flow. Maybe moving the trailer to where that side is mostly in the shade? If you raise the trailer, retract the center & rear levelers before you raise the front.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have done all the same things, fans in back and inside. Helps some. If I select hitch mode, center and rear retract. If I raise the landing gear jacks to level fridge, and then select auto level, won’t the front jacks drop down a little? Thanks for feedback.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And just for informational purposes, that model Norcold (I have the same thing in my 394M) has an allowance to be off level from side to side (the refrigerator, not the trailer) by 3 degrees. Front to back is 6 degrees. I don't know how far you are off level, but that's what Norcold says is the acceptable tolerance for it.

You didn't say whether or not the frig has been working and this is something new going on, or if this has been an ongoing issue, just getting worse because of the high temperatures outside. If the unit is new(ish), one of the things you want to check also is the flapper on the left frig door. It is a very common problem with that model that the flapper gets hung up and doesn't rotate around 90 degrees when the door is closed. When that happens, it is just like not having the door closed all the way and all the cool air falls out of the frig. Something to check if you haven't already.
    Last edited by xrated; 07-19-2020 at 12:04 PM.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have done all the same things, fans in back and inside. Helps some. If I select hitch mode, center and rear retract. If I raise the landing gear jacks to level fridge, and then select auto level, won’t the front jacks drop down a little? Thanks for feedback.
    You do not need to raise center and rear jacks to raise or lower the front. The system is designed for that. I've been operating it like that for over 3 years without issue. Even when I hook up my truck I will lower or raise the front with the other jacks still grounded, then transfer weight to the truck and then raise the rear and center jacks.

Def agree with placing the fridge on the shady side if possible and fans will be helpful.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem slowly got worse as the temps got higher. I know high ambient temps will slow down the effectiveness of the fridge. So I added a fan in the lower vent blowing up and two fans in the upper vent to blowing out. I found out about the flappers sticking sometimes. Sure enough mine was sticking. I followed procedures and installed the washer, problem solved.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem slowly got worse as the temps got higher. I know high ambient temps will slow down the effectiveness of the fridge. So I added a fan in the lower vent blowing up and two fans in the upper vent to blowing out. I found out about the flappers sticking sometimes. Sure enough mine was sticking. I followed procedures and installed the washer, problem solved.
    I have the same fridge, live in the desert SW and camp a lot in 100+ temps. After doing all the following the fridge will maintain at the most 40 degrees and will cool down considerably more overnight.

Added the washers to the bottom of the left hand door and used car wax where the flapper contacts the fridge
    Hard wired in a 12v small fan placed on the bottom shelf pointing up which circulates air inside the fridge
    Added 2 fans to the cooling fins
    Adjusted the thermistor placement for the optimum cooling
    Added fans blowing in from the bottom vent
    Adjusted the wooden "chimney" board in the top vent according to mfg specs
    Completely sealed around the top of the fridge inside the top vent so that the hot air expels out of the vent
    Changed the exterior thermistor to an 85 degree one (was 130 degree OEM), which keeps the OEM fans running all the time except in the winter
    Added fans blowing out from the top vent
    Bought 2 white vent covers which I use in the summer months (no idea why the manufacturers use black)
    Bought a "half umbrella" (I had no idea there was such a thing), and use it to shade the fridge if camped where the sun is a factor

I use accurite temp monitors for the freezer and fridge which comes with a nice display held onto the fridge with magnets.
    I have an additional remote sensor for the fridge which transmits to a display I keep in my truck in order to monitor temps while traveling.

Yes this seems like a lot of work, but it really is not and definitely has made a big difference.
    Last edited by Markb777; 07-19-2020 at 02:14 PM.
    2018 Solitude 310GK-R
    Titan Disk Brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000 with X Factor Crossmember
    2022 GMC 3500HD Duramax Crew Cab, 4x4, SRW 6’ box
    Factory 5th/Gooseneck Prep with 20K Reese Goosebox

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback. I have done most all of those things. Did not know about the placement of the thermistor. Where should it be placed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast