User Tag List

Fireside Member KIMandALLEN1988's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Momentum 351m bumper bike rack?

We are enjoying our first season in our '21 GD Momentum 351m. Overall we are very happy with the unit and have experienced only a few hiccups. While we thought the garage looked large, when the motorcycle is in it there is really not a lot of room for our two bicycles. As such I am exploring other carry options, including a rear receiver mounted bike carrier. The rear bumper looks to be a standard 4" hollow steel bumper. However, it is not accessible all the way around, so a clamp style mount will not work. Has anyone here simply drilled through the bumper and mounted a receiver with a couple of lag bolts? It is certainly possible, but I waiver on whether or not this will safety support the weight of two bikes. I stopped by a local hitch shop today and was advised that the best option would be to weld into the I beams on each outside wall and mount off of this. I know this is the right way to do it, I'm just trying to think of an easier and less expensive option if possible. Any thoughts or personal experiences would be appreciated. Thanks AP.
    2022 Chevrolet 3500hd LTZ drw
    2023 GD Momentum 397THS-R (FBP!)
    2021 Harley Davidson Electra Glide

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might be cheaper/easier to get a front hitch for your tow vehicle and put the bike rack there.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    Might be cheaper/easier to get a front hitch for your tow vehicle and put the bike rack there.
    Yes, I think that is definitely an option. Looks like there are bolt on options for the 3500 for less than $200. I've never used a front receiver before, but I can see how it might come in handy for a variety of things, including a bike rack. I'll just have to do some estimating and make sure it will not interfere with my line of sight or headlights. Thanks. ap

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KIMandALLEN1988 View Post
    We are enjoying our first season in our '21 GD Momentum 351m. Overall we are very happy with the unit and have experienced only a few hiccups. While we thought the garage looked large, when the motorcycle is in it there is really not a lot of room for our two bicycles. As such I am exploring other carry options, including a rear receiver mounted bike carrier. The rear bumper looks to be a standard 4" hollow steel bumper. However, it is not accessible all the way around, so a clamp style mount will not work. Has anyone here simply drilled through the bumper and mounted a receiver with a couple of lag bolts? It is certainly possible, but I waiver on whether or not this will safety support the weight of two bikes. I stopped by a local hitch shop today and was advised that the best option would be to weld into the I beams on each outside wall and mount off of this. I know this is the right way to do it, I'm just trying to think of an easier and less expensive option if possible. Any thoughts or personal experiences would be appreciated. Thanks AP.
    I know you mentioned you have motorcycles in the garage but have you looked into some type of vertical wall mount bike racks in the garage?

I have a 381M on the way and that’s my plan for 3 mountain bikes. Hopefully another 1-2 weeks and she’ll be here!

But since I don’t have the trailer yet I can’t confirm on setup.
    2021 Momentum 381M (Ordered 3/6/2020, Delivered 8/27/2020)
    -- Full Body Paint, MORryde IS 7k w/ disc brakes, Gen-Y Gooseneck conversion, 3 AC, Heat Pump, Dual Pane Windows, Slide Toppers, Residential Fridge

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know that I'd trust bolting something on to the bumper. But I did carry 2 bikes with a wrap-around bumper mount and extra supports to the frame last year for about about 8,000 miles without trouble.

And I don't think I'd be hanging bikes on the walls without substantial extra support.

Maybe just swing the handle bars 90 degrees, and/or remove from wheel, and/or get some folding pedals to reduce the space the bikes take up???
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    And I don't think I'd be hanging bikes on the walls without substantial extra support.
    Are there not any type of supports/studs in the walls? If there are I’d think it could support a bike. But if not then that may not be a good solution.
    2021 Momentum 381M (Ordered 3/6/2020, Delivered 8/27/2020)
    -- Full Body Paint, MORryde IS 7k w/ disc brakes, Gen-Y Gooseneck conversion, 3 AC, Heat Pump, Dual Pane Windows, Slide Toppers, Residential Fridge

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few weeks ago, a campground neighbor of ours showed me his bumper bolt-on receiver the dealer sold and installed on his FR Salem Hemisphere TT for their first ever camping trip. He mounted a 4-bike rack to it. The u-bolts had deformed the square steel tube of the bumper. One of the u-bolts had also snapped just above one of the threaded ends. He said he normally could not see the bikes in his mirrors, but while traveling down I-95 and thru the Baltimore tunnel, he first saw the front tire of his wife's bike, then a few minutes later, the front tire of his son's bike. After clearing the tunnel, he pulled over and found the snapped u-bolt and deformed steel of the bumper and the rack tilting down at about a 45-degree angle. Unloaded the bikes and removed the hitch and tossed everything in the back of the truck. He was looking for a replacement u-bolt. I suggested the same thing was going to happen and the bumper might even fail given the weight and lever-arm action of the bike rack and the existing damage/metal fatigue. He said, "but the bolt on receiver hitch is rated for 300 lbs" and showed me the sticker.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are items I used on my 4" bumper. Like I said, they carried 2 bikes all last year for about 6 month trouble free. I put on a real hitch this winter and removed my bumper. I should put these on the for sale forum.

As for mounting bikes on a wall.... if I HAD to do that I think I would build some sort of mount that supports the bike from the floor but is also fastened against the wall studs (if you can find them). At least that way the weight of the bikes is supported from the floor rather than the walls having to have to hold them up and the walls can keep the bike rack from falling over.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to install a front hitch receiver so I'll know things are solid.

On an unrelated note, we've taken our 351m out about 10 times this summer and learned quite a bit. We've had a few hiccups, but it has been a good first season with the unit overall so far. We are very happy with the layout/design and glad we upgraded from a F350 SRW to our 3500 DRW. Solid confident ride. I'll try to post some of that material in the coming weeks.

Thanks. AP