Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Potato potato

Quote Originally Posted by telder4 View Post
    I taped up the return air on the 15k coleman and taped up any sharp areas. The installation person did not tape the return air area well. Had several places leaking. After taping all areas and even taping areas to make the air flow smoother, the amount of air coming out of the vents is remarkable. Using one a/c in 99 degree texas summer and able to cycle a/c on and off in the auto mode set at 74 degrees. Before taping off rough edges , rv a/c would run continuously and not keep it cool inside.... Most units probably would benefit from extra time taping off sharp edges around the duct system and return air. I think the aluminum duct tape is much cheaper than spending $180 on aftermarket product which eliminates the dump feature, leaves the a/c working as intended and works much much better than factory taping job.
    True enough. I however chose to spend the money to get something that was engineered for the job so that the air does not come down into a giant box and eventually get pushed out it comes directly from the unit into the ducting via the expensive foam box. I must also add that new GD’s are being built with this in the AC units so obviously they have determined it has worth. Either way we all spend money on different things to make our units the best for us, I chose to do this. That said I did not get one for the bedroom AC as it blows a gale in the smaller area.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by springhillcindy View Post
    T...I have a 351M and I swapped the vents in the LR that are closest to the sofa to the adjustable opening, one direction air flow vent.
    Thanks for sharing this. Great idea! I actually ordered four of the adjustable vents from Amazon. I'll use them in the living area to direct the air where I want it.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8CF4AB58-43EC-4B09-A318-CE2AFB3CD843.jpeg 
Views:	152 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	28441Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9058B8DD-366D-4B74-A576-503048F6541D.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	823.3 KB 
ID:	28442Click image for larger version. 

Name:	462312D7-F5E2-4056-9162-08E40EEA4931.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	28443Click image for larger version. 

Name:	452723AF-8E97-433D-A4ED-29A308CAC85C.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	28444Suber81083, I made great increase in airspeed at the vents by taping pieces of ridgid foam board inside the plenum on the Dometic 15k AC in my 2017 2150RB. About $10 in supplies and two hours work. I can’t seem to add the pics here so I’ll try again.
    Last edited by Sparky1; 07-30-2020 at 09:34 AM.
    Tim, Pam and Popcorn(furry friend) 2018
    2017 Imagine 2150RB, CRE 3000 w/wet bolts, EMS-HW30C, 675 watt solar, Victron 150/45, Victron Multiplus 3000/120-50, Victron BMV-712, 3 BB 100ah LiFePo. [http://visited statesman.com/image/A...KORTXWIsm.jpg]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by telder4 View Post
    I taped up the return air on the 15k coleman and taped up any sharp areas. The installation person did not tape the return air area well. Had several places leaking. After taping all areas and even taping areas to make the air flow smoother, the amount of air coming out of the vents is remarkable. Using one a/c in 99 degree texas summer and able to cycle a/c on and off in the auto mode set at 74 degrees. Before taping off rough edges , rv a/c would run continuously and not keep it cool inside.... Most units probably would benefit from extra time taping off sharp edges around the duct system and return air. I think the aluminum duct tape is much cheaper than spending $180 on aftermarket product which eliminates the dump feature, leaves the a/c working as intended and works much much better than factory taping job.
    I'm glad that worked for you. Doing that hasn't worked for everyone. I had spent quite some time doing the exact same thing and was still not satisfied with the results. I didn't want to mask off the entire return or make any changes that GD or Coleman could say caused problems or that they could use as an excuse to deny any kind of warranty claim. I've had that happen before and learned my lesson. Until the warranty has expired, I won't make changes to any of the appliances that could affect any claims.

I purchased the RVairflow product and I'm glad I did. By the way, there are quite a few discount codes flying around the web that work. I was able to get 20% off. I paid $135.00 for mine and would do it again because it's a lot cheaper that buying the second A/C unit for the bedroom.
    2011Chevy Silverado 6.0 2500HD
    2020.5 (White) Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajbaber View Post
    As most have said, first make like a mole. Then take down the air conditioner cover, remove filters first, and make sure the separator is perpendicular. The separator is there to make sure that when the air conditioner pulls in return air that it doesn't also pull in cool air at the same time. I found both of mine were at 45 degree angle which was pulling i would say 40% of the cool air back into the unit. Next, I installed the RV Airflow and that was the kicker. You will not believe the difference in air flow thru the ducts. Before we could barely feel air from the closest duct to the A/C and now with just the living room A/C on we can feel significant air flow back in the bedroom. It is over 100 degrees here and we are keeping our Solitude 310 at home right now and keep the thermostat set at 89. Before the RV Airflow both A/C's ran constantly. After RV Airflow they only run a few minutes at a time. One other item we did with success was to add Magna Shades to the 2 large windows next to the table and recliners.
    My separator was not completely perpendicular either, but if I straighten it, the bottom won't fit into the groove on the plastic shield, making it hard to screw up. I did find out one of my ducts was partially collapsed and the black plastic in the picture that inserts into it on one side wasn't able to be fully inserted leaving openings for the air to go into the ceiling. I taped the duct open more and used tape to close any other openings up and make a smooth transition from the insert into the duct on the one side.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200902_201917611.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	29264Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200902_202701425.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	29265Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200902_205100463.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	29266
    2020 Imagine Mk2670
    Tow vehicle - 2020 Chevy Silverado 2500 6.6L Gas

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    20 degrees below outside is pretty poor in the Western US. I full-timed for 3 years with a 35' Carriage Lite 5th, one AC, and don't recall having any overheating problems. I don't plan to spend a lot of time in hot zones, but sometimes you have to do that. This performance is particularly bad if you're traveling during the day in hot weather - you can't cool the unit when you stop.

The weekend we finally got delivery of our 295RL Reflection 150 5th, it got up to 108 here in Tucson, sunny as usual. Even with both ACs running overnight, the inside was climbing through 83 by early PM - we went home. Today, it reached 99 at home - the trailer out front was 67 this morning, 81 now in the main room, 77 in the bedroom. I only have 30A here at home, so just running the main AC. I had both awnings out on the sunny side and we weren't inside (with our heat load) most of the day. I guess some reflectix will help a bit - kind of a pain.

The supply air to return air differential was 20 degrees, right in the middle of the Coleman specification so the unit is working as designed. The trailer needs better insulation to reduce heat load.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing we found helps a lot depending on where the sun is, is to put out your awning(s) to keep the sun from coming through the windows or beating on the side of the trailer.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fwiw..... Changing Lanes just posted a video on the RV AirFlow devices. They were satisfied.

for me - I did something similar to what Sparky1 did... made my own and also checked both A/C units and used some aluminum tape to be sure there were no leaks in the A/C plenum. I don't have any scientific measurements but just spent a week in the high 80's and no shade on 30 amps and my main unit kept the inside at 75 degrees with no trouble.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234