User Tag List

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Honda Generator

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great if you want to run a toothbrush. Check the actual Kw.
    Less than useless.
    Last edited by Cahriad; 07-22-2020 at 08:26 PM.
    Reflection 297RSTS 2018
    Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgkeaney View Post
    I started looking recently at that Onan 4500i. Lots of interesting info around that one. More power. Quieter than my champion dual fuel, remote start, similar weight...but it’s gas. I would love to hear what others think about it.
    First things first, know that it is not an actual Cummins-Onan design or build. It is from the exact same overseas plant pumping out the Westinghouse iGen4500 and the store-brand clone whose designation I cannot recall off-hand. They're actually built in the same industrial complex as one of my production facilities. Anyway, also note that it's not quieter under load than our Champions (also Chinese production) just the cute way the marketing teams puts spin on inverter generators to appeal to this crowd! Don't get me wrong, definitely a quiet unit and decent power. However, if this is the design you want, skip the Onan branding and buy the Westinghouse brand. For the Onan, you have to take it into the very small, very far apart network of dealers, but the Westinghouse can go into any Northern Tool as well as a pretty decent spread of service centers.

Firman is another popular Chinese-made inverter-generator manufacturer that sells a lot of private labeled clones too (e.g., Rigid, eTrailer).

Steve, IMO, given the money you are considering spending on a Honda, you're nearing the price point of higher wattage units from other brands with long-established performance like Champion that could run everything in a 30A rig without practicing a power management scheme. Sure, a bit more weight, but where does that fall in your scheme of things...

Also, good chance you'll ease into this with your new camper and start out in campgrounds with hookups. In doing that, you can start to figuring out what you need for the kind of camping you want to do. Good luck enjoying the new journey!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cahriad View Post
    Less than useless.
    Really? I have a 15-year old Honda 2000i. It will run one major appliance at a time (microwave, hair dryer, water heater, electric percolator, ect) but not the AC. A soft start kit may solve that issue but if I want AC I'll book a full hookup site. I also have a small inverter to run the tv and Blue Ray.
    Not everybody needs a 7500W generator to run 3 AC's.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverado333 View Post
    This is the one I'm considering - Honda EU2200i 2200-Watt 120-Volt Super Quiet Portable Inverter Generator
    If you’re open to different brands other than Honda, check out Champion 2000w model 100478. Just about as quiet as Honda, weighs less, can be paralleled, you can buy two for about the price of one Honda. It has worked well for us. Starts on first pull.

https://www.championpowerequipment.c...ter-generator/
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the one I'm considering - Honda EU2200i 2200-Watt 120-Volt Super Quiet Portable Inverter Generator
    Steve,
    Hondas are nice. they command a pretty high price because of the name but also because of the dependability. I've had 2 older ones (2000i's) since they came out. I have only ever replaced the air filters and spark plugs. And I've run them for hours on end.

Lately I've been considering selling them and getting the newer 2200i's. Actually if I was buying one Honda now and considering adding another later on I would get the 2200i Companion. The Companion has both a 120v plug (15a) and 30A plug. Although the 30a plug will only provide 15a with one generator the advantage I see with getting that one first is that you end up just making one adapter cable to go to your camper. It isn't a bit deal, but something more to think about.

Also check out the Westinghouse 2200 watt generator. It looks like a nice one.

When I dream about upgrading the 2 factors that I look at noise level and weight (in that order). Fuel capacity is another I look at. All seem to be equal but there are always a few surprises.

But ya can't go wrong with a Honda.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cahriad View Post
    Less than useless.
    2kw, 2.4kw and 7.2kw. The latter is pretty impressive

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello All!

What or how do I connect the generator to the RV, which cable(s) do I connect? I only plan ot purchase one generator, but may get a second at a later date to piggy back.

What does the generator actually do for me? I know for boon docking it can power some items in the rig. Does the inverter also charge the battery when the Gen is running? I will only have one 12v Interstate deep cell to begin.

Thanks for your experience!!

Steve
    Get yourself a Honda 2200 companion (and a second 2200) and don't look back. I removed the outside small fridge on my 2800bh and carry my 2 Honda's in its place. I use 2 different dogbone adapters to hook up the 2200 companion to the camper. I also carry a 25ft 30amp extension cord. That way I could stop carrying the heavy 50amp cord.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200723_161411.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	28289Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190810_180124.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	28290
    2019 2800bh
    2018 Silverado 1500

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the Yamaha 2000 watt generator. I wish I hadn't bought it because we barely use it. We mostly have camped in Texas, Arizona, and Utah in the winter. I can boil water on the stove. I don't need A/C, I need to run the furnace. It was always sunny and for less money than the generator I could have bought a 200W portable solar panel to charge the batteries. Generator hours are usual something like 8-10am and 6-8 pm which isn't a lot

Anyway, the point I want to make is that we each need to figure out what works for us based on how we camp. Going back to the original question: I'd sit tight and learn more about how you're going to use your RV. You may decide you need more batteries, or 3500W of generator, or some solar panels.

2020 Reflection 295RL - F-250 6.7L Powerstroke
    - Neil

2020 Reflection 295RL
    2019 Ford F250 XLT 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off, the EU 2200 is a great generator. As people have pointed out it will only really run one major appliance at a time and not the AC. This is a bigger issue at altitude.. you loose about 3% of the wattage per 1000’ altitude gain and this applies to any generator. I am in Colorado and when using a genny I use 2xEU 2000 to give me 4000W and this will run my AC but not my AC and microwave. I think that 2x2200.. the new EU 2200 would probably run both. If you need to you can parallel any number of these inverter generators, you are not restricted to 2 but you need to be careful.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a of generator for 60lbs! My Honda's I think weigh 74 each!
    I may need to look into this.
    Tim 2670MK in NC

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast