User Tag List

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Honda Generator

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would guess 95% of the people here would buy a Honda if the price was the same as the generic brands. The remaining 5% would later regret not taking advantage of the deal.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are right RV Sailor, the other generators on the market have come a long way and do offer a lot of cool features at an often much lower price than a Honda. Generators are just like trucks and trailers, go with what you like and the price point you like. I would never put someone down because they bought something different than what I like. To me the best part of these discussions is that they draw out everyone's experience with their particular favorite product. That way someone who has never owned any brand of generator or whatever's being discussed has more real world experiences to help make their decision a little easier. Ford trucks are still the best though lol!! I kid I kid
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to be clear, I'm not putting down any other brand generator.
    There were no other small inverter generators 15 years ago that I knew of.
    I have experience running my generator maxed out for a long time.
    I don't know if a smaller engine for the same rated generator will last as long.
    Hopefully, I'm around another 15 years to hear about some clone owner sharing his results.

I think the "kool aide" thing is hysterical.

I just ordered a 25G, with the Onan 4K generator.
    Not being A/C people, We'll probably never use it but it's there if we want to.
    I'll continue to use my little Honda because it sips gas.
    We thought about ordering it without the genset and getting the Westinghouse IGen 4500, but
    there was just no where to put it with all the other stuff we'll be hauling.

If and when my 15 year old Honda 2000i breaks down, I can find a Honda dealer and get it repaired.
    If a Predator, Wen or similar generator breaks down you can find a dealer and buy another one.
    (oh please take that as a joke )
    The newer inverter generators coming to market are getting better and cheaper every year.
    When the Honda finally kicks the bucket, I will probably go with the newest technology.

If you mostly want to run the minimums and charge your battery then a small generator is the way to go.
    Hopefully, the OP will come back and let us know why he chose to go that small... not boondocking a lot maybe?
    Did he get the answer he wanted, or did we go too far down the rabbit hole.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    I would guess 95% of the people here would buy a Honda if the price was the same as the generic brands. The remaining 5% would later regret not taking advantage of the deal.
    That’s wishful thinking. And why are they 3 times more expensive anyway . Why buy old limited technology when you can have advanced technology and monitoring.

They are well made dinosaurs without the newer technology or features of many of the generators made by traditional generator companies like Cummings / Onan. In sailboats like I have Honda inverter/ generators inboard are non existent. Onan, Westerbeke, Northern Lights , Cummings are the norm. Theses companies have built generators for years with excellent results.

As far as repair the generators are simple like lawnmower engines. It’s not rocket science. Repair really is not an issue , in fact Honda’s have many proprietary parts that many others do not. Their parts and accessories are as outlandishly expensive as their generators are.

Honda really doesn’t have a duel fuel generator which is portable. You can buy a conversion kit, but our Westinghouse / Onan- Cummings can use both fuels. The entry Honda duel fuel generator is 79 decibels . Ours is 52 the same as the EU2200

As a side contributing to drift (��) , Honda was one of the first to make small outboard engines. It had a good share of the market till Nissan ( Mercury , Tahatsu) , came along and improved on the model. Now they are the leaders as Honda rested on its laurels. It’s got remote start even, a big plus.

Remember I have one of these old 2000. Very steady and good quality but definitely old technology. But look, at the features and monitoring on this generator

Keep an open mind.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Westinghous...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I would guess 95% of the people here would buy a Honda if the price was the same as the generic brands.
    The remaining 5% would later regret not taking advantage of the deal.
    Exactly right!

Also, for those that say they need more info on their running generator.
    The newest Honda 2200 has Bluetooth connectivity which allows you to control it with your smartphone.
    It shows the actual power output in real time which I thought was pretty cool.

Here's a link to a video that discusses this new feature and app!
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 01-18-2021 at 06:52 PM. Reason: added a photo and video link
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Sailor View Post
    That’s wishful thinking.
    So you walk into your Harbor Freight store to buy that $499 Predator (or Westinghouse/Wen/Changyun/Chopsuey or whatever) generator. Sitting next to it is a Honda EU2200i for the same $499. And you walk out with the generic brand???? I don't think so!

I do agree that the Honda could add a few things to make their generators more appealing:
    - Power meter (available with their app but not on the generator itself)
    - Fuel gauge
    - Oil included in box

I'm probably missing a couple other minor features that others may have and Honda lacks but IMO, these are minor.

What's important to me are:
    - Longevity of the engine
    - Overall build quality
    - Actual sustained power output under load
    - App to track maintenance and performance
    - Resale value
    - Reliability

The app for the new Honda shows power output, engine oil life, hour meter, etc and the generator has a CO alarm. Plus, I'd prefer to be able to monitor the power output remotely and be able to shut the generator off remotely so it actually has some functionality that the generic models lack.

As with most all things - it comes down to price. There is nothing wrong with not wanting to pay top dollar for something. And there is nothing wrong with wanting a generic generator because it has a feature that is a must have for you (e.g. fuel gauge perhaps?) that Honda lacks. But, I stand by my statement that if a guy walks into a store to buy a $399 knock off and the Honda is sitting next to it for the same price - he's walking out with the Honda and will find a way to make do with no fuel gauge.

If you have the money, buy the Honda and don't look back.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you walk into your Harbor Freight store to buy that $499 Predator (or Westinghouse/Wen/Changyun/Chopsuey or whatever) generator. Sitting next to it is a Honda EU2200i for the same $499. And you walk out with the generic brand???? I don't think so!

I do agree that the Honda could add a few things to make their generators more appealing:
    - Power meter (available with their app but not on the generator itself)
    - Fuel gauge
    - Oil included in box

I'm probably missing a couple other minor features that others may have and Honda lacks but IMO, these are minor.

What's important to me are:
    - Longevity of the engine
    - Overall build quality
    - Actual sustained power output under load
    - App to track maintenance and performance
    - Resale value
    - Reliability

The app for the new Honda shows power output, engine oil life, hour meter, etc and the generator has a CO alarm. Plus, I'd prefer to be able to monitor the power output remotely and be able to shut the generator off remotely so it actually has some functionality that the generic models lack.

As with most all things - it comes down to price. There is nothing wrong with not wanting to pay top dollar for something. And there is nothing wrong with wanting a generic generator because it has a feature that is a must have for you (e.g. fuel gauge perhaps?) that Honda lacks. But, I stand by my statement that if a guy walks into a store to buy a $399 knock off and the Honda is sitting next to it for the same price - he's walking out with the Honda and will find a way to make do with no fuel gauge.

If you have the money, buy the Honda and don't look back.
    The flaw is a Westinghouse/ Cummins is not a knockoff. They come from a GENERATOR company. I walk in with $1100 dollars, what can I buy. Can I air condition my RV no hassle.
    So the Honda is playing catch up here. Let’s actually compare generators vs concepts.

So the issue is not really price as was stated. must people who decide to buy a generator I think say “what can I get for my $1100”. Many want the generator to run an air conditioner on their RV with no sweat or worry . No additions or special added expense of slow start modification. They want to run the microwave once the ac is running without blowing the greater upper limit. It’s a no brainer IMHO. $1050 buys you power, quiet, modern, remote start, same 3 year warranty as Honda. Built by a generator company with an outstanding track record. Spend $1100 on a Honda, you don’t get Bluetooth, you get 1/2 the power, you might be able to start your ac, you get 1/2 the run time before you are outside refilling. But you do get history.

Like I said I have had a Honda 2000 for over 10 years. It’s been great, but it has its limitations and it was really the only one built at the time. But time marches on. It’s a dinosaur.

Power: Honda - 2200, 121 cc engine
    Cummins / Westinghouse : 3300 propane, 3700 gas, 224 cc engine
    Advantage: clearly Cummins Westinghouse. No worry about not having enough power or needing two generators

Reliability: Honda has been making these small generators for 20 years and is very reliable.
    Westinghouse/ Cummings/ Onan- been making generators for over 50 years. Generator division Specializes in
    Well built reliable generators and is first choice in interior generators for RV and also many boating
    Applications. No reason to believe their small generators are not reliable. History makes this a small
    Advantage to the Honda, but not by much as Cummins has a great track record

Technology: Honda has little updates. The “big” deal is now Bluetooth. Only on the $1400 small 2200 generator
    Westinghouse / Cummins has been offering all the information that Honda now has on Bluetooth
    For years now on its panel. It even has interval for oil change and other diagnostics not offered
    By Honda.
    Advantage Cummins/ Westinghouse for a deeper tech package

Remote Start: a big feature
    Honda: doesn’t exist , in fact does even have electric start...recoil only
    Westinghouse / Cummins: recoil, electric , and remote start. Stay in the camper and turn off or start.
    Advantage: Westinghouse / Cummins

Fuel and noise : Honda: gas only runs 8 hours, 48-52 decibels
    Westinghouse / Cummins : dual fuel, propane or gas. Runs 17 hrs. 48-52 decibels
    Big advantage Cummins/ Westinghouse, same noise level. An equal power Honda is louder

So the only advantage for your $1100 is that Honda was the gold standard and has some history.
    The Cummins / Westinghouse has good reliability and is a company known for his generators. It’s is almost twice as powerful. It is dual fuel. It’s as a panel with advanced diagnostics you only get for another $300 with Bluetooth on Honda
    It has recoil, electric start and remote start while the Honda is recoil only. It can run for 17 hours vs 8 for the Honda

Weight is an issue with the Honda at 73 and the Westinghouse/ Cummins at 109 lbs. the comparable Honda 3000 ( $2500) is 131 lbs.

https://apelectric.com/content/PDF/W...spec_sheet.pdf
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree the specs on a 3700 watt generator are different than the specs on a 2200 watt generator.
    Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess at the end of the day it comes down to three things...

Application
    Quality/Reliability/Features
    Cost

These in my mind are the determining factors in this type of purchase.

For me, I went a completely different route. I purchased a Yamaha 3000 watt (3500 burst) inverter generator and am totally happy with that purchase. It has a 3.5 gal tank with 18.6 hour runtime at rated load of 2800 watts at 53-60dBA with electic and remote start.

I think the Honda's are well built, so are the Cummins (I had the 5500 watt in my mh for 14 years and it was solid when I sold the mh)

So I think application comes first, what is its intended use. Many might say well quality comes first, no, we have a need, that is first, then we buy the quality and features we can best afford for the application.

Enjoy what you get.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    I guess at the end of the day it comes down to three things...

Application
    Quality/Reliability/Features
    Cost

These in my mind are the determining factors in this type of purchase.

For me, I went a completely different route. I purchased a Yamaha 3000 watt (3500 burst) inverter generator and am totally happy with that purchase. It has a 3.5 gal tank with 18.6 hour runtime at rated load of 2800 watts at 53-60dBA with electic and remote start.

I think the Honda's are well built, so are the Cummins (I had the 5500 watt in my mh for 14 years and it was solid when I sold the mh)

So I think application comes first, what is its intended use. Many might say well quality comes first, no, we have a need, that is first, then we buy the quality and features we can best afford for the application.

Enjoy what you get.
    Agreed . Yamaha was my second choice. It was the 136 lbs which got me.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast