User Tag List

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Honda Generator

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgkeaney View Post
    I started looking recently at that Onan 4500i. Lots of interesting info around that one. More power. Quieter than my champion dual fuel, remote start, similar weight...but it’s gas. I would love to hear what others think about it.

2016 Ram 2500 Cummins
    Anderson ultimate
    2020 GD 31MB
    Champion dual fuel 3500 generator
    Steadyfast stabilizers
    Dinosaur electronics ignitor board
    Micro-air easy start
    I have the Westinghouse labeled one build exactly the same. I can’t say enough about it. Very quiet, great diagnostics, dual fuel, remote start
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    You do realize you are comparing a 2,000w generator to a 4,500w generator, right? I would suggest comparing models in the same class (e.g. similar output) for a more meaningful comparison.

BTW, Hondas have been updated a couple times just in the past four years or so.

Yes that is.my point is that for the same money $1050 look what you can now get. Built by a reputable generator company Onan/ Cummings.

Many need two Honda’s for a 15,000 air conditioner as they have posted in the thread.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just for clarification-

My comments on this thread have been about comparing similar spec'd 2,000-2,200 watt portable generators. These smaller portable units don't have the features that the larger units have like electric/remote start, etc. There are many brands in this class and many of them look pretty much identical and probably are internally. It is this class of generator where I'll pick the Honda. Similar specs and features with the clones/generic brands but Honda reliability, build quality and resale.

Now if you're looking at 4,500 watts to easily run a 15k generator and/or you want dual fuel capability, there absolutely are viable alternatives to the Honda. The Westinghouse is a great choice because Honda doesn't make a dual fuel model. The Westinghouse iGen 4500DF is a cool generator with some really cool features. Again, Honda doesn't make a dual fuel generator so if that's what you want, the Westinghouse is an excellent choice.

Where we muddy the waters is comparing a Westinghouse iGen 4500DF to a Honda EU2200i. They are not even close to the same class of generator. That's like comparing a Transcend to a Solitude. Of course the Solitude is more capable and has more features!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's so true about the resale value on the Hondas. I bought this 2 yr old Generac with 30 hours on it from my neighbor last week for $ 300 bucks! He is moving and doesn't need it, I am giving to my kiddo in Houston for their frequent power outages. It's a 5500 watt non inverter type so it's loud but dang the price was right! I have never seen any type of Honda for sale for 300 bucks, even 20 yr old ones lol. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	generator (2).jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	31831
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2024 Ford F350 CCSB Lariat 7.3 4.30
    Sold- 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4
    Sold - 2020 Ford F350 Tremor 7.3 4.30
    Sold - 2020 GD Reflection 303RLS, 2019 GD Imagine 2250 RK

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Incidentally, there are quite a few people here that have installed a kit on their Honda that makes it run on LP or NG in addition to gasoline.
    Dual fuel? Try TRI-fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    Incidentally, there are quite a few people here that have installed a kit on their Honda that makes it run on LP or NG in addition to gasoline.
    Dual fuel? Try TRI-fuel.

So the cheapest I saw for the Rube Goldberg fix to what Champion, Cummins, Westinghouse has built in already was $279.
    Add that to the overpriced initial outlay makes the choice easy.

We have two extra 20 lb propane tanks on the frame next to the 30 lbs ones. ( Took the place of the battery box) just to run the propane through the generator. It’s a very nice option to have. If we are running overnight we use gas. If just for a couple hours we use propane.

As far a tri fuel, I doubt many would use CNG as there are very very few refill places. Propane is much more prevalent.
    Wonder why the geniuses at Honda never considered making propane an easy alternative. You see propane engines in trucks, cars, buses etc. I even have a propane outboard for our sailboat dinghy made by Tahatsu / Nissan / Mercury. Actually some outboard Tahatsu horse powered outboards made by Honda but badged Tahatsu. Hard to follow all this isn’t it.

Oops there’s another couple reputable companies who use the same motors just different names/ tags on the outside
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for putting the Firman information in the response. Seems like a great option.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Sailor View Post
    So the cheapest I saw for the Rube Goldberg fix to what Champion, Cummins, Westinghouse has built in already was $279.
    Add that to the overpriced initial outlay makes the choice easy.

We have two extra 20 lb propane tanks on the frame next to the 30 lbs ones. ( Took the place of the battery box) just to run the propane through the generator. It’s a very nice option to have. If we are running overnight we use gas. If just for a couple hours we use propane.

As far a tri fuel, I doubt many would use CNG as there are very very few refill places. Propane is much more prevalent.
    Wonder why the geniuses at Honda never considered making propane an easy alternative. You see propane engines in trucks, cars, buses etc. I even have a propane outboard for our sailboat dinghy made by Tahatsu / Nissan / Mercury. Actually some outboard Tahatsu horse powered outboards made by Honda but badged Tahatsu. Hard to follow all this isn’t it.

Oops there’s another couple reputable companies who use the same motors just different names/ tags on the outside
    You get what you for.
    If you wanna go cheap go for it.
    Good luck with that.

Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been running the Honda 2000s for 14 years and probably thousands of hours.
    Truth be told. I have had a couple of issues.

The pull start rope needed replacing on each of them.

Seriously... The cheap ones will likely suit the casual user just fine. If it fails you, it isn't a big deal.

The more you rely on a generator to work reliably... The more you will want a Honda.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast