Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Honda Generator

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Sailor View Post
    Weight is an issue with the Honda at 73 and the Westinghouse/ Cummins at 109 lbs. the comparable Honda 3000 ( $2500) is 131 lbs.
    Not sure which Honda you mean; the Honda 2200i weighs 47 lbs., not 73 lbs.

If your looking for one big generator, I think the Westinghouse is the better buy.
    The advantage for two small companion generators is space and weight.
    At 47 lbs it's heavy but manageable.
    In a small TT or Toyhauler like mine, it's easier to store two small generators (not necessarily in the same spot.)
    Two small Honda's have the same working rating as the Westinghouse on gas, more if the iGen4500 is on propane.
    Fuel wise, I think they're both very efficient.
    When we had an extended power outage, I hooked up the Honda 2000i to an auxiliary gas tank and ran it 24/7.
    The only thing I did was shut it down to change the oil every 48 hrs. and gas'er up. I imagine you could do the same for any generator though.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The decibel level quoted by Honda is at full load which is obviously louder than running at 25% load (idle) which is the decibel level the Honda wannabes report so they can try to sound just as quiet.

The Honda 2200 runs at 48 dB idle and 57 dB full load.
    The Predator 2000 runs at 65 dB idle and 75 dB full load.
    These numbers aren’t even close, since sound levels DOUBLE every 10dB.
    So 58 dB is not a little louder than 48dB it’s twice as loud!
    Also, a larger engine typically runs louder, given they have the same type of muffler, yet the Honda above is 121cc compared to the 80cc Predator.
    The Honda engine is 50% larger! Yet still quieter.
    LOL
    There literally is no competition for Honda.
    You do get what you pay for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    The decibel level quoted by Honda is at full load which is obviously louder than running at 25% load (idle) which is the decibel level the Honda wannabes report so they can try to sound just as quiet.

Also, a larger engine typically runs louder, given they have the same type of muffler, yet the Honda above is 121cc compared to the 80cc Predator.
    LOL

In addition to what Dave said: Over the years I have read of, and watched numerous articles/videos of how the Hondas stack up performance wise against various competiters.... Honda has always won. The larger motor that Honda has produces more power, which means that it produces more real world power.... Not saying that the competition fudges the numbers, just that they are optimistic in their ratings. Honda seems to be conservative in theirs.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    I would guess 95% of the people here would buy a Honda if the price was the same as the generic brands. The remaining 5% would later regret not taking advantage of the deal.
    I did buy our Champion 3400 Dual Fuel inverter generator years ago significantly because its price was so low. At the time, if a similar Honda had been close to the same price - instead of more than double the price as it was at the time - I would have bought the Honda.

Now, though, I wouldn't buy the Honda EU3000 even if it was the same price as our generator.

Ours is very quiet - doesn't seem any louder than Hondas we've heard, it's 35 pounds lighter than the Honda and easier to move around, it can produce a bit more power, and most important to me it runs on propane as well as gasoline, eliminating the fumes and handling of gasoline; just plugs into the trailer's propane connector.

If the Champion disappoints in the long term then I might reconsider, but for now Champion has certainly won me over.

https://www.championpowerequipment.c...fuel-inverter/
    Last edited by boyscout; 01-24-2021 at 09:00 AM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    I did buy our Champion 3400 Dual Fuel inverter generator years ago significantly because its price was so low. At the time, if a similar Honda had been close to the same price - instead of more than double the price as it was at the time - I would have bought the Honda.

Now, though, I wouldn't buy the Honda EU3000 even if it was the same price as our generator.

Ours is very quiet - doesn't seem any louder than Hondas we've heard, it's 35 pounds lighter than the Honda and easier to move around, it can produce a bit more power, and most important to me it runs on propane as well as gasoline, eliminating the fumes and handling of gasoline; just plugs into the trailer's propane connector.

If the Champion disappoints in the long term then I might reconsider, but for now Champion has certainly won me over.

https://www.championpowerequipment.c...fuel-inverter/
    I have the same champion and love it also. Mainly because of the propane option. No carburetor getting gummed up here. I only wish it has a digital display for hours and output.

2020 Reflection 31MB
    2016 Ram 2500 Cummins

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgkeaney View Post
    I have the same champion and love it also. Mainly because of the propane option. No carburetor getting gummed up here. I only wish it has a digital display for hours and output.

I have a pair of Honda 2000s. At the time it was between the Honda, Champion and Yamaha.

The Westinghouse weights the same as the Champion 3400 dual fuel. The noise specs on the Westinghouse is 52 dBa vs 58:dBa for the a champion.

We love the Honda’s for the RV but I’m seriously considering a Westinghouse IGEN4500DF for our cabin. It seems every month we have an outage that lasts 2-6 hours. Both the Westinghouse and Champion have an excellent 98% recommended by owners vs 96% for the Honda 2200s at Lowe’s site. All three are priced similarly.

The only negative I have for my Honda is not able to easily drain fuel tank and run it dry so as to prevent carb gumming up.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 2200s have a few updates, one of the updates was to allow running the carburetor dry.
    2024 Ford F350 CCSB Lariat 7.3 4.30
    Sold- 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4
    Sold - 2020 Ford F350 Tremor 7.3 4.30
    Sold - 2020 GD Reflection 303RLS, 2019 GD Imagine 2250 RK

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    Both the Westinghouse and Champion have an excellent 98% recommended by owners vs 96% for the Honda 2200s at Lowe’s site.
    In that case I'm absolutely buying the Westinghouse or Champion.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post

LOL

You mean you overpay for what you get

I have put my Honda 2000 and compared my Westinghouse 4500 with an app reading the decibel output
    They are identical at 25% power (52) as well as full rpm (57) twenty five feet away
    Westinghouse has almost twice the power, twice the engine size

These are anecdotal facts. The new generators are very well made with much more sound deadening insulation than the old school never updated Honda.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Sailor View Post
    I have put my Honda 2000 and compared my Westinghouse 4500...Westinghouse has almost twice the power, twice the engine size
    You do realize you are comparing a 2,000w generator to a 4,500w generator, right? I would suggest comparing models in the same class (e.g. similar output) for a more meaningful comparison.

BTW, Hondas have been updated a couple times just in the past four years or so.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast