Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So...for all of these aux tanks in the beds, are you installing a fuel pump to move the fuel from the aux tank to the main tank? If so, how is connected? A Tee into the filler neck, or directly into the main tank?

Everything I find on the Transfer flow is for the pump handle style, and the TitanTanks provide a gravity siphon. Both of these options means I have to stop and transfer the fuel from the aux tank to my main tank.
    Keep in mind I have a gas vehicle so a replacement tank is not an option for me from either TransferFlow or Titan Tanks. Auxiliary tanks seem to be my only option.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey TENN22,

All of this auxiliary tank discussion is specific to diesel fuel.
    You will not find any auxiliary or replacement tank manufacturer willing to take on a gasoline application.
    Too many flammability and evaporative emissions standards to meet.

The best you can do for "extra" fuel is a proper jerry can secured in the box of the truck.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Rob said, this auxiliary tank is for diesel only and it is a gravity fed tank connected by a Tee in the filler neck. No pump. Illegal for gasoline.
    Frank & Linda
    2015 303 #2048, 2015 F-350 FX4 Dually

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    99.5 to 2003 SuperDuty short bed trucks have a 33 gallon tank, however the bad design of the in tank fuel pickup limits fuel capacity to only 29 gallons.

A "Harpoon Mod" can be done with copper tubing and fittings found at any hardware store so owners can get 33+ gallons into the tank. There will be no in tank screens to clog.
    You can easily check the see through pre-pump filter. There's no more fuel regurgitating out the fuel filler neck when refueling. And best of all, less fuel aeration results in a much quieter fuel injection and minimizes engine noise.

There are pictures online that can be found by Googling "Guzzle's Harpoon Mod."

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hey TENN22,

All of this auxiliary tank discussion is specific to diesel fuel.
    You will not find any auxiliary or replacement tank manufacturer willing to take on a gasoline application.
    Too many flammability and evaporative emissions standards to meet.

The best you can do for "extra" fuel is a proper jerry can secured in the box of the truck.

Rob
    Thanks for your reply, but this has very recently changed.

Titanfueltanks.com just released on March 9th an in bed fender saddle auxillary tank for gas.
    Transfer flow now makes two inbed aux tanks for gasoline as well.
    Apparently they can only be used as aux tanks with a manual fill method though. This is why I was asking about options to transfer the fuel into my main tank.

I only point this out for other gas owners who might be following along.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Titan saddle tanks use a siphon to transfer the fuel to the main tank. Transfer Flow says they never use gravity fill. Their inbed tanks require you to stop and use a pump. Either way you have to stop to refuel if you have a gasoline engine.

Northern Tool tanks use gravity fill or one can add an electric pump if desired. Diesel only, though.

It appears, TENN22, that your only options all require you to stop to refill. Since I stop to take breaks while traveling I would not find that a big problem; better than running out of fuel in the middle of nowhere. But everyone is different.

Good luck in your search for what will work for you.

Robert
    Robert & Sheila, Amarillo, TX
    2013 F250 short bed crew cab, diesel, 4X4, Firestone air bags
    2014 Reflection 337, Michelin XPS Ribs, Anderson Ultimate Fifth wheel hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cgoodnight View Post
    Titan saddle tanks use a siphon to transfer the fuel to the main tank. Transfer Flow says they never use gravity fill. Their inbed tanks require you to stop and use a pump. Either way you have to stop to refuel if you have a gasoline engine.

Northern Tool tanks use gravity fill or one can add an electric pump if desired. Diesel only, though.

It appears, TENN22, that your only options all require you to stop to refill. Since I stop to take breaks while traveling I would not find that a big problem; better than running out of fuel in the middle of nowhere. But everyone is different.

Good luck in your search for what will work for you.

Robert

Check out this link regarding transferring fuel from the aux tank to the main factory tank.

https://www.transferflow.com/products/trax-ii

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, Transfer Flow does have a Trax II or something to fill their tanks. And they show it can be used for F250 gas engines in several model years (not late models). I remember this whole system is expensive.

My Northern Tool 45 gal tank cost around $450 plus $100 for the gravity fill system. I installed the tank myself. Did not want to spend $2000 or so for the Transfer Flow and Trax II system and the installation.
    Robert & Sheila, Amarillo, TX
    2013 F250 short bed crew cab, diesel, 4X4, Firestone air bags
    2014 Reflection 337, Michelin XPS Ribs, Anderson Ultimate Fifth wheel hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have just had a new F450 arrive at the dealer and they are fitting a replacement www.transferflow.com under tank and toolbox tank which will give us 97gal of Fuel will hope this will give us a good 3 days of driving!
    Will post a update after our first trip with the new Ford.
    Tony & Hilary Self
    2014 Momentum 385TH #290
    2015 Ford F450 with B&W Companion ,Transfer Flow 57 G Midship and 40 G Toolbox tanks
    Extra load springs

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a note for the cost conscious. RDS fuel tanks, auxiliary or transfer, are sold by Northern Tool, Amazon and Nationwide Wholesale Direct with the latter usually being the least expensive. They are aluminum and come in bright aluminum or powder coated black. Installation of the gravity flow system is very simple and is best accomplished by two as there is action required both above and below the truck bed. I have no interest in any of these entities but I try to be as selective as possible spending my discretionary dollars so I'm just passing on some information that might save you a dollar or two.
    Frank & Linda
    2015 303 #2048, 2015 F-350 FX4 Dually

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast