User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcostanza View Post
    Thank you for your response!

QUOTE=Tigger1;450943]First, welcome to the forum!

This is an old thread and you may not get an answer.

I haven’t had any leak issues but @Ynot4me2 has and he also has an XLS trailer. Later when he sees this he’ll give you some feedback. I think I remember he had to go back and forth with his dealer.

You could also try doing a Search in the upper right of the page with something like 22mle slide-out leak for example.
    [/QUOTE]

First off welcome to the group.
    We had the very same issue as the original OP. Water would come in from the top of the slide when retracted. The dealer replace the D seal twice under warranty but it never fix the problem. They even went as far as to tell me that it was normal and that I had to park the TT on an angle. Anyway, I went back to GD and they confirmed that it wasn't normal and approved a mobile tech to come as I didnt want anything to do with my dealer.
    They are 2 hrs away 1 way and.... One day, as I was waiting for the mobile tech, I used filler gages on the top D seal and notice 2 feet section that had very little resistance. The tech confirmed that the D seal needs a 35% compression for it to do its job proper. He bent the slide facia inwards a little. It help a little but at the next big rain fall we still had water that came in. He said that if it happens again to simple add a round 3/8" foam (caulk saver) inside the D seal to help it extend a little bit more so that it can make better contact and compress more. That's what I did this past spring and it worked. Haven't had water ever since. Simpler lift the D seal with your finger and slide that in. Something like this. They come in various length. I got 35ft I think.
    https://www.amazon.ca/Frost-King-C21...270364795&th=1
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Johnny B, thank you for your response especially two years after your original post. Happy to hear your trailer survived Ian. Currently, out in the road and will continue to resolve the leak issue when retuning home. Will post the results of my efforts or may have questions in the future. Thank you-Mike

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still trying to get the hang of responding to a particular thread or post. Earlier I thanked Johnny and now I need to thank Ynot4me2, Steph. Currently on the road and will look into your technique to solve my leaking problem upon returning home. Will keep you posted with the results and possibly more questions. Thanks-Mike

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcostanza View Post
    Still trying to get the hang of responding to a particular thread or post. Earlier I thanked Johnny and now I need to thank Ynot4me2, Steph. Currently on the road and will look into your technique to solve my leaking problem upon returning home. Will keep you posted with the results and possibly more questions. Thanks-Mike
    @Mcostanza -

1) If you use "Reply With Quote" (to the right of "Reply") as I have here, folks will know to whom you are responding and that person will get a notification.

2) You can also tag folks using the "@" symbol and their user name (as I have done yours) - they'll also get a notification that way.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Helpful Tips for Forum Use

Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    @Mcostanza -

1) If you use "Reply With Quote" (to the right of "Reply") as I have here, folks will know to whom you are responding and that person will get a notification.

2) You can also tag folks using the "@" symbol and their user name (as I have done yours) - they'll also get a notification that way.

Rob
    Thank you for the advise on how to use this forum, greatly appreciated. -Mike

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off welcome to the group.
    We had the very same issue as the original OP. Water would come in from the top of the slide when retracted. The dealer replace the D seal twice under warranty but it never fix the problem. They even went as far as to tell me that it was normal and that I had to park the TT on an angle. Anyway, I went back to GD and they confirmed that it wasn't normal and approved a mobile tech to come as I didnt want anything to do with my dealer.
    They are 2 hrs away 1 way and.... One day, as I was waiting for the mobile tech, I used filler gages on the top D seal and notice 2 feet section that had very little resistance. The tech confirmed that the D seal needs a 35% compression for it to do its job proper. He bent the slide facia inwards a little. It help a little but at the next big rain fall we still had water that came in. He said that if it happens again to simple add a round 3/8" foam (caulk saver) inside the D seal to help it extend a little bit more so that it can make better contact and compress more. That's what I did this past spring and it worked. Haven't had water ever since. Simpler lift the D seal with your finger and slide that in. Something like this. They come in various length. I got 35ft I think.
    https://www.amazon.ca/Frost-King-C21...270364795&th=1[/QUOTE]

Steph- Used the 3/8" foam (caulk saver) inside the D seal, along with weather stripping along the top inside edge of the slide out to eliminate the leak. Thank you! -Mike

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB02 View Post
    Sorry to hear about your leak. With diesel prices so high I decided to hike the Appalachian Trail this year so my rig is in storage back in Englewood,FL and I’m unable to get you pictures. Thankfully it survived hurricane Ian! All I did was used the dust mark, created where the bulb seal makes contact with the metal trim piece on the slide, as a guide to attach a piece of foam weather stripping. I don’t remember any details about the weather stripping product…sorry. This stopped the leak and allowed me to finish my cross country travels. When I returned home, I brought it back to the dealer since it was still under warranty. They just gently bent the metal trim piece on the slide inward to create a tighter seal between the existing bulb seal and the weather stripping I added. I haven’t had any problems since. Probably several ways you can mark a line for the new weather stripping e.g. use a sharpie marker to trace along the top of the bulb seal. Then you just need a pair or two of steady hands to stick it into place. I don’t think it’s that hard to remove if you mess up so this is really a low risk project.

Good Luck
    Johnny B
    Johnny B,
    Used the weather stripping along with 3/8" round caulk saver in the D seal to remedy the leaking problem. Thank you for your suggestion! -Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12