User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grey Tank - Is it ok to partially empty?

Hello All,

First of all, I would like to thank everyone on this forum for their insights. They have been invaluable. My wife and I recently purchased our first RV, a 2015 317RST.

This is probably the first "clueless" question of many to come.

We find ourselves in a situation where we would like to partially dump our Grey 2 tank. We will be able to get it completely emptied in a few days, but right now we just need a few gallons out. It is currently showing "Full" in the message center, which I know may not be accurate. I'm not sure which drains are feeding into Grey 2 as opposed to Grey 1.

Here is my question:

Are there any issues if you close the valve prior to the grey tank completely emptying? Our grey tanks are operated with valves attached to cables, which are located in the docking station.
    Last edited by carpertravels; 07-24-2020 at 08:56 AM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpertravels View Post
    Hello All,

First of all, I would like to thank everyone on this forum for their insights. They have been invaluable. My wife and I recently purchased our first RV, a 2015 317RST.

We find ourselves in a situation where we would like to partially dump our Grey 2 tank. We will be able to get it completely emptied in a few days, but right now we just need a few gallons out. It is currently showing "Full" in the message center, which I know may not be accurate. I'm not sure which drains are feeding into Grey 2 as opposed to Grey 1.

Here is my question:

Are there any issues if you close the valve prior to the grey tank completely emptying? Our grey tanks are operated with valves attached to cables, which are located in the docking station.
    There should not be any issue to only doing a partial drain if you just need to drain a bit. Just curious as to why though since I have never had the urge or need to do a partial drain.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    There should not be any issue to only doing a partial drain if you just need to drain a bit. Just curious as to why though since I have never had the urge or need to do a partial drain.

Rob
    Hi Rob. Thanks for the quick response.

I'm probably just over thinking it.

We are staying with some friends, who have quite a bit of land. They said it's fine if we empty the grey tank where we are at, but I'm hesitant to release the full tank since we've only used dump stations to empty our tanks and I don't want to flood the area. I thought it might be better if I just dumped enough water to get us through the end of our stay next Wednesday when we will stop at a dump station.

Chris

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We stayed at a small private RV park years ago and they actually encouraged us to drain grey tanks to water the plants.
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello All,

Here is my question:

Not a problem. I have been doing this for years on different trailers. When we dry camp the shower grey tank fills about twice as fast as the black tank. I drain the grey tank into a five gallon buck and using a large funnel pour it into a jug to take to the dump station. Requires multiple valve openings and closings. Be careful the water from a full tank has a lot of pressure behind it and comes out fast. I put the 90 degree connector from the sewer hose on the trailer drain pipe so the water goes straight down into the bucket. When the black tank is full I take the trailer to the dump station.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are staying with some friends, who have quite a bit of land. They said it's fine if we empty the grey tank where we are at, but I'm hesitant to release the full tank since we've only used dump stations to empty our tanks and I don't want to flood the area. I thought it might be better if I just dumped enough water to get us through the end of our stay next Wednesday when we will stop at a dump station.

Chris
    I understand now why you may want to do this. Makes sense to me but as others have said likely not an issue to dump it where you are unless the lay of the land is going to puddle it by your stairs or something.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the great feedback! It is much appreciated.

Chris

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I’m home or camping on private land where permitted, I just crack the gray tank valve and let it trickle out so it mostly soaks in.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chris
    we use one of these when we're in a situation like you describe. This way with a garden hose you can dump the water where it'll be of benefit, like watering plants, lawn, etc without flooding. When we occasionally boondock, we use one hooked to a hose and actually leave our grey valve open, repositioning the hose as needed...

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T102...QSPQ1RMZ796WEH

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grey water does not hurt anything but most campgrounds will not allow you to dump at campsite. Use your own judgement but if you decide to dump at campsite do it while no one is watching, late at night or early in morning - just saves yourself lots of problems. We wash our dishes in dish pan and throw out water at campsite; therefore not much difference than dumping grey tanks.
    Last edited by Buckskin; 07-25-2020 at 04:37 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast