User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black Tank - Travel Day, to partial fill or not to partial fill?

Fellow GD owners, greetings,

I'm a new RV owner would appreciate hearing from my more seasoned brothers/sisters on this situation/thought. Due to HOA issues, I have to store my RV when not in use. I dump the tanks when we leave our final day glamping spot and put it into storage, so presumably my black tank is "relatively" empty when I pull it out of storage to prepare for the next trip. I'm wondering if it is okay to partially fill the black tank with fresh water on the day before a new trip so that the water can "slush" around in the tank while traveling and then mostly fill and dump upon setting up on day 1 at the new glamping site so as to avoid any build up of "remaining stuff" in the black tank. Any thoughts you might have to share would be appreciated.
    2020 GD Solitude Mid Bunkhouse MB377
    2018 Ford F350 SLT Dually Diesel LB w/ Curt A25 hitch
    US Army Intel Soldier & Field Artillery Officer (Retired),
    Soon to be a real retiree with "she who must be obeyed" Love'n it"

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum!

What works for us before leaving the campground is to flush the black tank then put 2 cups of liquid Calgon and 1 cup Dawn dish detergent into the toilet followed by 3-4 gallons of water. Driving home will slush it around.

This is called the Geo Method
    https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/

We forgot to do this last time out, black tank dried up in our driveway for a couple weeks in 90+ degree weather. You can imagine the smell when we took the TT out next time.
    Last edited by Tigger1; 07-24-2020 at 12:32 PM.
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r&jbennett View Post
    Fellow GD owners, greetings,

I'm a new RV owner would appreciate hearing from my more seasoned brothers/sisters on this situation/thought. Due to HOA issues, I have to store my RV when not in use. I dump the tanks when we leave our final day glamping spot and put it into storage, so presumably my black tank is "relatively" empty when I pull it out of storage to prepare for the next trip. I'm wondering if it is okay to partially fill the black tank with fresh water on the day before a new trip so that the water can "slush" around in the tank while traveling and then mostly fill and dump upon setting up on day 1 at the new glamping site so as to avoid any build up of "remaining stuff" in the black tank. Any thoughts you might have to share would be appreciated.
    when we're getting ready to leave the campground, I do thorough dump and flush. There should be no residual stuff in the tank if done properly. After that, I add about 5 gallons of water and drop an enzymatic treatment tab in the tank. This should keep the tank relatively fresh while in storage. When we arrive at our campsite for the next adventure, I again add about 5 gallons of water and another tab. We've never had an issue and we've been RV'ing for about 20 years now. I think "mostly filling and dumping at the new glamping site' is unnecessary. You're over thinking it IMHO.

This is the stuff we use and have had great results... https://www.amazon.com/Unique-Digest...5622750&sr=8-3

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r&jbennett View Post
    I dump the tanks when we leave our final day glamping spot and put it into storage, so presumably my black tank is "relatively" empty when I pull it out of storage to prepare for the next trip. I'm wondering if it is okay to partially fill the black tank with fresh water on the day before a new trip so that the water can "slush" around in the tank while traveling and then mostly fill and dump upon setting up on day 1 at the new glamping site so as to avoid any build up of "remaining stuff" in the black tank.
    Good advice already rec'd from @Tigger1 and @LV Naturist; have more water (and some kind of cleaning agent) in your tank when you park it.

However to answer the question you asked, yes, it's OK at any time to have water in the tank to "slush" around while traveling from one place to the next. In fact it's a good thing to have water slushing around in there all the time. Five to ten gallons is good; any more is just extra weight to be hauled.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO the black tank should never be left empty. It should always be left "charged" as described above.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    IMHO the black tank should never be left empty. It should always be left "charged" as described above.
    Totally agree with all that is said. No need to overcomplicate it. Last step of what ever flush routine you like; add more clean water (~5-10 gallons) and the cleaning/enzyme agent of your choice. I first used one of the inexpensive flow meters to measure 5 gallons, but you get a feel for the time it takes to put in five gallons and just ball park it.

Other thing that is somewhat related, I added the extra waste valve to prevent any surprises: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS