Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Curt Wedge - Cross Threaded

Hey Guys/Gals,

Getting around today to install my Curt A-16 Wedge so I could use my 90 degree turn pin and one of the bolts would not go in. After taking off the wedge and trying both bolts in the other hole and finding that they both go in just fine I took a closer look at the threads of that hole and they are indeed cross threaded.

So what are my options to correct that issue?

Thanks.
    Gary and Kelly Slone
    Louisville, Kentucky
    18 Chev. 2500 Gas 6.0
    2020 295RL Reflection, Curt A16 Hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Get a correct size tap and clean the threads up - or find a grade 8 self tapping bolt of the correct size and do it that way. As your unit is still in warranty, check with your dealer and see if you can swing by and let them fix it - probably 10 minute job. Worst case you may need to find a slightly larger bolt = possibly metric if you need to fully cut new threads.

If you not familiar with cutting threads you go a bit, back out and clean, lube, go back and cut a bit, back out clean, lube - repeat.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by powerscol; 07-25-2020 at 01:30 PM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the Dealer route is the best for me. I was trying to install the wedge for the first time and that bolt would not go in - of course they will think I stripped it but we’ll see. Thanks

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I had one more thought. If you have a good chisel , or small flat screw driver (hard metal) that fits in the threads, you may be able to chase the threads back open. I am assuming its just the few ones at the entrance to the hole.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is just the threads at the beginning, I might try that. It may be a 10 minute job at the dealer but I can guarantee it would be a week getting them to get around to it.

I checked on the grade 8 bolt and nothing local to me so I would have to order it so I don't want to go that route either.

Thanks.
    Gary and Kelly Slone
    Louisville, Kentucky
    18 Chev. 2500 Gas 6.0

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryS57 View Post
    Hey Guys/Gals,

Getting around today to install my Curt A-16 Wedge so I could use my 90 degree turn pin and one of the bolts would not go in. After taking off the wedge and trying both bolts in the other hole and finding that they both go in just fine I took a closer look at the threads of that hole and they are indeed cross threaded.

So what are my options to correct that issue?

Thanks.
    Not familiar with this so I might be totally off base because you may not we able to get to the back of the threads or it may be a blind hole but if you have access, thread a shorter screw in from the back and as it goes through the first few threads at the end it will clean them up. Use some light oil/motor oil even to lubricate as you are threading in from the back.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, that would be an easy fix but no way to get on the other side of the hole.

But thanks for the input.
    Gary and Kelly Slone
    Louisville, Kentucky
    18 Chev. 2500 Gas 6.0

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    Not familiar with this so I might be totally off base because you may not we able to get to the back of the threads or it may be a blind hole but if you have access, thread a shorter screw in from the back and as it goes through the first few threads at the end it will clean them up. Use some light oil/motor oil even to lubricate as you are threading in from the back.

Rob
    Rob What a great tip. While it wont work here it will be good to remember it where it would work later. I tend to mess up threads a lot. Its why I have a full tap and die set along with a selection of grade 8 self tapping bolts. Lots of rusty farm equipment where bolts tend to run off to find a nut somewhere

Be safe and healthy
    Keith