User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Momentum 385TH (2015) Battery not charging

My battery is not charging at all. Battery is not charging when hooked to shore power, generator or to the truck. I just replaced the controller to the Lippert System which went bad and now cannot get the battery to charge.

Is there anyone that can direct me in the right direction?

Also, can anyone help me with the converter location on this model so I can check those fuses? Is it located behind the fuse panel?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Chris Warren (newbie)
    2015 Momentum 385TH

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What Lippert Control system are you talking about? Leveling system?

Did you verify the battery disconnect is ON?

Did you disconnect battery when you replaced the controller, any chance you hooked up batteries incorrectly? That will cause converter fuses to blow. They are located on the converter which should be behind the false wall in the basement, probably not behind your fuse panel.

Do any 12V components work while on shore power, and does everything 110V work properly? (Helps eliminate if you have a problem with incoming power)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it was the leveling system. Slides worked. Mechanic diagnosed and replaced controller. Battery was disconnected.

Left generator running on way home to keep frig running. Noticed gas leak on trip so did not want to run propane. Battery at 11V when we unhooked. Barely enough to get landing gear down. Had battery tested and no issues. Recharged at home.

Battery disconnect was off on way home. Does Battery disconnect have to be “on” for battery to charge? I am assuming “on” to be
    Disconnecting the 12v components from the battery.

All 12V components work, lights, fans, etc. while shore power, generator is on. 110V seems to work also.

The false wall you are referring to I assume to be the wall opposite the wall that divides the basement and the generator storage area.

Thanks very much for your reply.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. Disconnect needs to be on to charge. The false wall should be on the opposite side of the side storage compartment as you are looking at it, imagine the back side of the water hookup area. Not sure exactly how a 385 is laidout, but it will be somewhere near the backside of the water connections. An easy test of the converter without taking that wall out is to make sure battery disconnect is on, plugged in shore power, main and converter breaker on. Then put a meter on your battery connections and you should be reading around 13v assuming the battery needs a charge.

On a side note, if your battery is lead acid and reading 11V without a load on it, there is a good chance you have some battery damage. When it was tested, was it an auto parts store or similar facility with the ability to load test it?

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much. I did take the battery to the auto parts store where I bought it. They told me the battery was not damaged just needed a charge.

I will go down tomorrow and do what you have suggested.

I have been unable to Get the power from the truck to show 13.6 V. I am assuming now because of the battery disconnect switch. Do I need the disconnect switch to be off for the power to be recognized. When I hook up the trailer, the truck recognizes it, but I cannot see 13.6V at the leveler readout.

Sorry for asking so many questions, but I really don’t know much about how all this works.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best bet for checking the converter is what I mentioned earlier. The trailer doesnt need to be connected to the truck. I would start by checking the trailer charging system and then worry about your truck. Truck was most likely not charging the battery due to the disconnect switch being off or the battery being so low, it didnt make much of a difference. Also, best way to check voltage is with a volt meter at the source, not using leveler display.

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerioc View Post
    ... Do I need the disconnect switch to be off for the power to be recognized. When I hook up the trailer, the truck recognizes it, but I cannot see 13.6V at the leveler readout. ...
    The "disconnect" switch needs to be ON. (a bit confusing)

Converter is behind basement access panel as noted above (6 Robertson head screws to remove)
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the information.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all. Able to determine the issue was not the converter. Also found blown fuse on truck which resolved truck charging issue. Battery is now charging due to disconnect now set properly. Thanks for the input and help.