User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    So which Truckers Atlas is the best. I am not into the smart phone apps yet. Or is their a web page that has the information for trip planning?
    Rand McNally Motor Carriers Road Atlas
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about the Garmin RV GPS units, don't they steer you away from low bridges?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigb56 View Post
    What about the Garmin RV GPS units, don't they steer you away from low bridges?
    Theoretically, but the atlas and GPS are just planning aids. Eyes and the thing behind them are the best tool.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    Rand McNally Motor Carriers Road Atlas
    Thanks
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tall Paul View Post
    Brian - I stayed at your park a few weeks ago. The park does a good job of highlighting that low bridge in their paperwork - but we’ve all done dumb things.

Hopefully he gets the same mobile tech I had who was willing to come out on the 4th of July to fix my dead refrigerator.

(BTW - beautiful park).
    At least that park warns you ahead of time. DON'T try to enter Chatfield Park in Denver via the west entrance off of CO121. Their ticket entry gate portal is only 13'. I found out the hard way and had to back out - a long way! And they don't bother to mention it anywhere; at least they didn't last year. I wonder if Garmin GPS units or the truckers atlas has that listed?
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What drives me batty is committing to a fuel island and then when you pull in you see a small sign that lists the clearance as just under your measured height!
    Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya - Follow us at rctravels.rmcd.ca
    2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, Cerbo GX, 6x Battle Born 100AH, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
    2023 GMC Sierra Duramax Denali 4x4 DRW Longbox Crew Cab, Curt Q25

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One time many years ago I was traveling with a friend who drove a big box truck.One night when we needed gas he pulled into a station that had a overhang. Sign said 13' 6" no problem he was 13'. Pulled into the end pump only one open when we heard and felt the crunch. Turned out there was a slope to the overhang and the only spot that was 13'6" was the pump next to the office. Another customer that was there at the time told us this was the 3rd time he knew of for this to happen. He had no idea why they don't change their sign.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first camper was a slide in truck camper. Living in the desert I put a Rec-Air (now called Turbo-Kool) 12 volt swamp cooler on the roof which is about the same size as an AC unit. Took the truck to Jiffy Lube for an oil change, drove in fine but when it was time to pull out the opposite door they had lowered the door a bit to block the sun, hit the cooler and destroyed it. They were nice enough to pay for it.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    One time many years ago I was traveling with a friend who drove a big box truck.One night when we needed gas he pulled into a station that had a overhang. Sign said 13' 6" no problem he was 13'. Pulled into the end pump only one open when we heard and felt the crunch. Turned out there was a slope to the overhang and the only spot that was 13'6" was the pump next to the office. Another customer that was there at the time told us this was the 3rd time he knew of for this to happen. He had no idea why they don't change their sign.
    If that had been me, they would have been paying my repair bill. Especially if that was the third time this had happened !!!!

Nobody should mark the highest point, that's just stupid !!!
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    There is a sign prior to the bridge warning about it's height. But, I believe some roads have WAY too many signs. Sign overload. We have some pedestrian crossings on our main city parkway (Bend, OR). Aside from the fact that there shouldn't be any crosswalks on a parkway, these crosswalks probably have a dozen signs around them including signs that light up with bright flashing lights when the person hits the "walk" button. Among all these signs are actual stop signs imbedded in other signs that say something like "Stop for Pedestrians". IMO, there should not be any kind of stop sign symbol on any road unless the driver is actually required to stop. Do you really need to tell people to stop for a pedestrian? I think the bright flashing lights and person standing in the road might be your clue. There are so many signs at these crosswalks that you can't read all of them before passing them at 55mph. All that to say, I can see how somebody would miss a sign about a low bridge.

The fact that this low bridge is so close to the RV park and one of only two ways into the park makes it a serious danger. The RV resort does have warnings on it's website about the low bridge. There is also a sign as you exit the park warning about the low bridge if you turn right.

I've measured the height of my RV and I check RV Trip Wizard to look for low brides along my route but I still wouldn't be surprised if I hit a low branch or even the side of a low underpass some day. It can happen to any of us.

My wife talked to the guy that this happened to and she said he was in good spirits and had and RV tech coming this afternoon to work on the RV. Hopefully the repairs are pretty straightforward and other than the A/C units, no major damage was done to the roof.
    Brian
    Is that the bridge going to Crownvilla on Brosterhous? I was there today working in the laundry room. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast