Thread: Adding a Genset

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep, fire box is there.
    CJ & Jo
    RIP: Rocky & Rya
    2018 Momentum 327M, 2019 RAM 2500 6.7L Turbo Cummins, BW Companion Slider, Timbren SES, Bilstein 4600

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    Right now, if you can get the generator, it is right around $7000, give or take a couple bucks. That is the Onan LP 5500.
    Uh, that's a big NO to adding an LP genset then. I've got the onboard gas tank, so looks like gas is much cheaper!
    Last edited by Cjohnson; 07-27-2020 at 01:02 PM.
    CJ & Jo
    RIP: Rocky & Rya
    2018 Momentum 327M, 2019 RAM 2500 6.7L Turbo Cummins, BW Companion Slider, Timbren SES, Bilstein 4600

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If that is your only power issue, I would first recommend the soft start. I installed on both mine, which allows me to run off my 30amp inverter. Once the AC is started, you have probably have plenty of power, its just the start surge, and the soft start solves that. Way less money.

2nd option, still way less $, is to combine 2 honda's. Simpler that genset install from scratch, does mean having to tote 2 around, still probably no more space or weight than genset

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take Hondas out of ECO mode, did extensive testing on my 2 2200"s. With one or both Honda's in ECO there is severe dip.
    Just run them with ECO off.
    Tim in NC

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cjohnson View Post
    Our 327M didn't come with a genset. I've got some of Honda 2000/2200 inverters and have been using those, but when the single 15K BTU a/c kicks in, we loose TVs, things on outlets, etc during a temporary brown out.

We're thinking of selling our 2 hondas to fund getting an ONAN 5500 installed. I'm wondering if the fuel lines are installed from the factory from the rear tank to the front of the unit even if there is not genset installed. I though I read that the dealers install the gensets, not the factory.

Anyway, if anyone has added in an Onan after the purchase, love to get your perspective.
    This doesn't answer your question but my neighbor had a Mirco-Air Easy Start installed and can run his A/C and other appliances on a single Honda 2000/2200 generator without any problems when the A/C turns on. He loves it and probably a lot cheaper than what you are considering. Having said that if you do a lot of boondocking then the Onan would probably be more convenient and worth the expense.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12