User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding a Genset

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adding a Genset

Our 327M didn't come with a genset. I've got some of Honda 2000/2200 inverters and have been using those, but when the single 15K BTU a/c kicks in, we loose TVs, things on outlets, etc during a temporary brown out.

We're thinking of selling our 2 hondas to fund getting an ONAN 5500 installed. I'm wondering if the fuel lines are installed from the factory from the rear tank to the front of the unit even if there is not genset installed. I though I read that the dealers install the gensets, not the factory.

Anyway, if anyone has added in an Onan after the purchase, love to get your perspective.
    CJ & Jo
    RIP: Rocky & Rya
    2018 Momentum 327M, 2019 RAM 2500 6.7L Turbo Cummins, BW Companion Slider, Timbren SES, Bilstein 4600

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may also look into an easy start; that may be a lot cheaper I heard that those things cut the life of the A/C unit (internet hearsay?)...
    CJ & Jo
    2018 Momentum 327M, 2019 RAM 2500 6.7L Turbo Cummins, BW Companion Slider, Timbren SES, Bilstein 4600

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cjohnson View Post
    I may also look into an easy start; that may be a lot cheaper I heard that those things cut the life of the A/C unit (internet hearsay?)...
    Cant help you with your first question but I've heard that its generator on eco mode that will cut the life of AC. Now, I have no facts on that, just what I've read here somewhere.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also thinking about the Hutch Mountain tri-fuel kit. The problem with the Hondas is small fuel capacity with just 1 gallon tanks. Can't even run them over night that way...
    CJ & Jo

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cjohnson View Post
    Also thinking about the Hutch Mountain tri-fuel kit. The problem with the Hondas is small fuel capacity with just 1 gallon tanks. Can't even run them over night that way...
    That depends on the load. I have been runnning the Honda eu 2000s since 2005. I run them all night. If there is not much draw, they can go 13 hours.
    If running the furnace, about 8... Set them up with an extended run tank, and they will go days.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    Cant help you with your first question but I've heard that its generator on eco mode that will cut the life of AC. Now, I have no facts on that, just what I've read here somewhere.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    A friend of my second cousin, told a guy that he was acquainted with, that a distant relative told him a generator would make the AC produce green popsicle if you used Eco mode or an easy start . Just saying but I did read it on the internet somewhere or was I just having mind f*rts, that easy starts or Eco mode were the work of the devil.
    Last edited by Cahriad; 07-26-2020 at 11:34 PM. Reason: jsy jesting
    Reflection 297RSTS 2018
    Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To answer your original question, you won't have anything the trailer if it didn't have the "gen prep" option.

Do you have the metal fire proof box in the front compartment? If you do, you should see the wiring plugs and fuel hoses in there.

If not, have fun running everything.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve - curious what the price range would be have an Onan 5500 installed (including cost of generator) in a Grand Design that already comes prepped for a generator from the factory (like a Solitude S-Class 2930RL for instance).

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by openrangeowners View Post
    Steve - curious what the price range would be have an Onan 5500 installed (including cost of generator) in a Grand Design that already comes prepped for a generator from the factory (like a Solitude S-Class 2930RL for instance).
    Right now, if you can get the generator, it is right around $7000, give or take a couple bucks. That is the Onan LP 5500.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve - Thanks for the answer to my question.

I assume when you mention "if you can get the generator" meaning they are hard to locate due to shortage of supply?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast