Thread: Sewage vent

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sewage vent

Good Morning,

We are really enjoying our Imagine!!!! Curious if there may be something wrong with the sewage vent. I flushed the black tank until crystal clear water was flowing.... I almost understood the odorous delight with the tank somewhat filled. Even with the tank flushed and empty, still getting punched in the face with the sewage scents.

Any ideas for things I can check. Yes we used a black water treatment with odor reducer, didn't seem to help.

Thanks a bunch,

JB

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may not be the black water, but possibly the grey. Look under the sink and see if you see an air admittance valve. The standard ones used in RVs tend to stick open. If you find that's the odor, then replace with a Studor or other high quality. If that is not it, do you have the bathroom vent fan running when flushing? If so, stop. It draws up the fumes. Finally, check out the GEO Method and Happy Campers for two effective ways to deal with the black tank.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    It may not be the black water, but possibly the grey. Look under the sink and see if you see an air admittance valve. The standard ones used in RVs tend to stick open. If you find that's the odor, then replace with a Studor or other high quality. If that is not it, do you have the bathroom vent fan running when flushing? If so, stop. It draws up the fumes. Finally, check out the GEO Method and Happy Campers for two effective ways to deal with the black tank.
    It may not even be a faulty air admittance valve - it may just be loose. They screw in to the top of a pipe under both the bathroom and kitchen sinks. Both of the valves were so loose in our new Solitude that they were ready to fall off on our next road trip. We were getting smells in both the kitchen and bathroom and screwing the valves into their pipes securely fixed the problem both places.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrady1 View Post
    We are really enjoying our Imagine!!!! Curious if there may be something wrong with the sewage vent. I flushed the black tank until crystal clear water was flowing.... I almost understood the odorous delight with the tank somewhat filled. Even with the tank flushed and empty, still getting punched in the face with the sewage scents.
    Here's a well-liked replacement for the cheap GD-installed air admittance valve that @geotex1 and @Second Chance have advised you about:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/STUDOR-1...0341/202275238

There's also a chance that you have a leak somewhere. It's almost the worst-possible of the possible problems because it's a pain to check and fix, but start by just testing the chloroplast layer that lines the bottom of the trailer. Does it sag a lot (they all sag a little)? Does it feel/sound like there could be moisture on top of it when you move it up and down? If so, then dropping the chloroplast and investigating further at the tanks, valves, and dump plumbing is in the cards for you or a technician.

Finally, while I too often use treatment in the tank and find it pretty effective, I also regularly use Dawn dish soap and water softener powder to try to keep the tanks and their sensors clean. Search for "GEO Method" online and you'll find lots of advice about this.
    Last edited by boyscout; 07-26-2020 at 10:46 AM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    Here's a well-liked replacement for the cheap GD-installed air admittance valve that @geotex1 and @Second Chance have advised you about:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/STUDOR-1...0341/202275238

There's also a chance that you have a leak somewhere. It's almost the worst-possible of the possible problems because it's a pain to check and fix, but start by just testing the chloroplast layer that lines the bottom of the trailer. Does it sag a lot (they all sag a little)? Does it feel/sound like there could be moisture on top of it when you move it up and down? If so, then dropping the chloroplast and investigating further at the tanks, valves, and dump plumbing is in the cards for you or a technician.

Finally, while I too often use treatment in the tank and find it pretty effective, I also regularly use Dawn dish soap and water softener powder to try to keep the tanks and their sensors clean. Search for "GEO Method" online and you'll find lots of advice about this.
    I used to use the GEO Method until I could not find Calgone anywhere anymore. What are you using for water softener powder and where do you get it now?

Thanks,
    Rpb
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    I used to use the GEO Method until I could not find Calgone anywhere anymore. What are you using for water softener powder and where do you get it now?

Thanks,
    Rpb
    Borax crystals. Can find them anywhere (we get them at Wally World).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Borax crystals. Can find them anywhere (we get them at Wally World).

Rob
    Thanks Rob,

I will look for them hear as well. I am sure that I have seen them at Wally World or Canadian Tire.

(Another) Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob,

I will look for them hear as well. I am sure that I have seen them at Wally World or Canadian Tire.

(Another) Rob
    Forgot to mention - it's in the laundry section near the detergents, etc.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob,

(Another) Rob
    Yup, @Second Chance nailed it, and there's been no problem finding Borax on either side of the border. I've been able to get it at both those stores in Canada.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have no problem finding it in most grocery/big box stores.
    Reflection 297RSTS 2018
    Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast