User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Front Cap/Roof Joint Screws Loosened

We've had our rig for 3 years and have stayed on top of the preventative maintenance during that time.

This morning while doing our pre-departure check I notice two protrusions about 3/4" in height on the joint lapping sealant/joint where the front cap meets the roof. Up to the roof I go to check what I'm seeing. It turns our two screws had worked their way out and punched through the dicor sealant. I was on the roof 2 weeks ago so I believe they had been loose but not visible for a while.

When we get back I go up to the roof to repair and notice a third screw beginning to work itself out or the dicor and I can see the screw heads through the dicor on all but one remaining screw.

Long story short every screw but one had loosened. removed the old dicor, re-tightened all, cleaned the area with mineral spirits and applied new lap sealant over the screw heads.

Very glad I caught this before the thunderstorms come in as I am confident water would have penetrated.

Moral of the story: Pay attention to your rig and fix the little things before they become a BIG thing.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffnCheri View Post
    Moral of the story: Pay attention to your rig and fix the little things before they become a BIG thing.
    So very true! Each time we return I’m on the roof going over all sealant joints. I also carry a tube with me when camping plus a 4inch x 10ft roll of Eternabond tape in case of a major roof tear.
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good catch. Had the same happen to screws on bedroom slide, applied blue locktite, appear to be holding.
    John, Susan & Luke
    2015 Reflection 303 RLS #867
    Bakersfield, CA

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John612 View Post
    Good catch. Had the same happen to screws on bedroom slide, applied blue locktite, appear to be holding.
    Blue loctite is a standard part of my RV tool kit. Every fastener I touch gets the treatment. Never had any treated ones back out again.

You can get a pretty big bottle of the Harbor frieght brand real cheap.. Works just as well.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine are doing the same thing. 2018 303rls.