User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

150 Series 230RL 30A to 50A conversion w/2nd A/C

Not sure if this is the category to post under, but I am looking to have our 2018 230RL converted to 50A service and add a second A/C. I have run the numbers and it is substantially less expensive to do this than trading for a larger trailer. We have one Dometic 15k and I want to add a Coleman Mach 8 Plus to the bedroom. Any else do something like this (wiring conversion) with experience they would like to share?
    Chad & Marisa (plus 7.5 lb Enzo!)
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 230RL
    2018 Ford F150 Lariat SuperCrew 3.5L Ecoboost
    - Heavy Duty Payload Package, Max Trailer Tow Package, 6.5' Bed, 18" Wheels
    - Demco Recon 21K Hitch, RetraxPRO MX Bed Cover

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen some discussions on the topic. Don't recall where...

Pulling new wire from the new input jack to the new panel (a long way on my rig) and a bigger hole in the wall, will be labor and parts intensive. I suggest getting a quote from a shop to check your cost numbers and maybe get a warranty on the work. That's a big job!
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the response, RickLight!

I have discussed this with GD, as well as a Dealer and a 3rd Party family owned RV repair business (called Anything RV - located in Pearland, TX). I received a bid from Anything RV and decided to go with them. They are going to convert our 230RL to 50A service, and install a Coleman Mach 8 Plus over the bedroom. They told me that they will configure everything like it would have been done at the factory. We will have a new 50A Plug, new wiring, a new breaker Panel, and a new 60A converter/charger. The A/C will be ducted and installed with access to the racetrack vent system. The only unknown is if we will get a wall thermostat for the A/C - it depends on how difficult it is to run the wire. I told them that we were ok with using the manual controls on the A/C vent plate if it was too difficult (costly) to run the t-stat wire.

All of this will be done for a fraction of what it would cost for us to trade our trailer (which has been pretty problem-free!) for another (unknown issues) trailer in the desired configuration.

Btw, I am assuming that by the lack of many responses that this conversion is not something that other Reflection 150 Series 30A owners are interested in...
    Chad & Marisa (plus 7.5 lb Enzo!)
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 230RL
    2018 Ford F150 Lariat SuperCrew 3.5L Ecoboost
    - Heavy Duty Payload Package, Max Trailer Tow Package, 6.5' Bed, 18" Wheels
    - Demco Recon 21K Hitch, RetraxPRO MX Bed Cover

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My understanding is that in 2019 at least, 50A and 2nd AC pre-wire was standard. I'm sure that really cut down on the conversions!
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yessir... In retrospect it would have been great to wait a year or so before buying the 230RL so we could get a 50A version, but I wouldn’t trade that time for the great experience we had with over 11k miles of towing! At the time, the 230RL was what I was comfortable towing with our F150.