User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not to start a GMC vs Ram war but....

Ok getting ready to pull the trigger on one of the following 2 trucks. Pulling a 260 RD, just the wife, a small dog and I.

GMC Sierra 2500 SLT
    6.6L V8 Direct Injection with Variable Valve Timing Gas engine
    3.73 rear axle ratio
    10,650 lbs. GVWR
    Integrated trailer brake controller
    Integrated with the antilock brake system (ABS)
    ProGrade Trailering System
    Lane Change Alert with Side Blind Zone Alert
    Trailering wiring provisions for camper, 5th wheel and gooseneck trailer

Ram 2500 Laramie
    6.4L Heavy Duty V8 HEMI® with MDS
    8-Speed Automatic 8HP75-LCV Transmission
    GVWR Packages: GVW Rating - 10,000 Pounds
    3.73 Axle Ratio
    Towing Technology Group
    Blind-Spot w/Tag Trailer & Cross-Path Detection
    Trailer Tire Pressure Monitoring System

Should I look at a the 4.10 rear end or is the 3.73 fine? I do live in Denver, CO and for vacation we mostly head west over the mountains.

They are pretty similar, I like the Ram maybe a bit more styling wise but that shifting dial is killing it for me. First and foremost let me know if I am missing anything. I had posted earlier on the GMC and most people thought it was totally appropriate for a 260RD.

On a side note, my wife and I were out shopping for trucks yesterday and 4 of the 5 GMC/Chevrolet dealers we went to had zero heavy duty trucks on the lot.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hah! You'll get 50 different opinions all worth about the same. Here's mine. First, I'd get a 3500. Not because you need it for the RV you're looking at but because you'll need it for your next RV. Since you want a gas engine, live in Denver and travel the west, I'd get 4:10 gears. As for brand....I'll let others jump into that mess.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsickler View Post
    Ok getting ready to pull the trigger on one of the following 2 trucks. Pulling a 260 RD, just the wife, a small dog and I.
    Should I look at a the 4.10 rear end or is the 3.73 fine? I do live in Denver, CO and for vacation we mostly head west over the mountains.
    They are pretty similar, I like the Ram maybe a bit more styling wise but that shifting dial is killing it for me. First and foremost let me know if I am missing anything. I had posted earlier on the GMC and most people thought it was totally appropriate for a 260RD.
    On a side note, my wife and I were out shopping for trucks yesterday and 4 of the 5 GMC/Chevrolet dealers we went to had zero heavy duty trucks on the lot.
    I don’t own a HD truck but after reading your post maybe I can help by asking some questions.

If you get 15 responses from your post; 5 say GM, 5 say RAM, and 5 say Ford (even though you didn’t ask); which would you choose?

If you must tow in the mountains, which rear end would be best suited; 4.10 or 3.73?

If GM HD trucks (2500 or 3500) were readily available in your area, would you be looking at RAM?

I don’t know the answers. Just trying to help think it through. It’s an expensive decision.
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does the GVW over 10k make a difference for registration in your area? Usually that’s medium duty territory, some places that means a big registration cost difference.

Does the loss of available payload in the Dodge (by the 650 lower GVW, plus the difference in truck weights) make a difference to your intended purpose for the truck?

Otherwise either is personal preference and you’ll get the same in responses. None of the HD trucks have major dealbreaker issue areas that I’m aware of.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in Denver also. Pull mainly west through Eisenhower tunnel or over Berthoud pass. Best thing I did was go to a diesel. Diesel cost by my house right now is $2.19 while gasoline is $2.49. Not saying that will change in future but I love pulling with the diesel. Tons of confidence.

My 1.76 cents worth.

2016 Ram 2500 Cummins
    Anderson ultimate
    2020 GD 31MB
    Champion dual fuel 3500 generator
    Steadyfast stabilizers
    Dinosaur electronics ignitor board
    Micro-air easy start
    2020 Reflection 31MB
    2016 Ram 2500 Cummins

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea I am not so sure about the 10k on the RAM, if you go to Ramtrucks.com and use their towing tool it shows max payload at 2980 for the Laramie with standard box. GMC shows it at 3760, seems like from a pure spec's perspective the GMC is slightly better. I think I am going to call and put my order into today for the GMC they only want $500.00 down and say I can have my money back if I don't like it when it comes in.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy the 3500, or join the very expensive club later......2nd truck club. You will probably get a different rv in the future, like many people.
    Bob and Cheryl, Puka the doodle
    2018 Ram 2500 Crew,Diesel,4x4
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2012 Palomino 6.5 camper

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As someone who owned a 1/2 ton, then a 3/4 ton and now a 1 ton, I will leave the brand wars to others (I've owned Chevy/Ford/Ram), but will suggest that if the registration isn't a killer a 1 ton will probably save you $$ in the long run as you are less likely to need "more" truck. I guess there is always DRW....

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go 1 ton.

Don't get lost in capability alone. You'll spend a lot of hours behind the wheel so comfort and ergonomics must be a large consideration! I have driven and towed with all of the Big 3, owned only GMs and RAM by conscious choice, and know my way around them...
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree to the "Go 1 ton" if you are able. I'm a member of the 2nd truck club going from Ram 2500 to 3500 DRW. I also started with a bumper pull and graduated to the 5th wheel. Both trucks are Laramie 4x4 and cummins. I wish I'd just done the dually to begin with but at the end of the day it's only money. A loaded down dually is nice to tow with regardless of brand. Good luck.
    2019 Ram Laramie Mega Cab 3500 4x4 HO CTD Aisin DRW, Pullrite 24k Auto Slider, 7500# Airbags
    2020 Momentum 328G

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast