User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillon Ventures View Post
    I have a 2021 GD Imagine 2400 which is 30A.
    I have contacted several electricians and they are all telling me different things.
    What my set up looks like is:
    my tt is parked approx. 100' from the house, so I will need to run a wire approx. 100-120' long. I am also planning ahead for the future and a new 5th wheel in about 5-6 yrs.

one electrician says he will run 100A wire and install a 30A breaker in the panel, and install a box on a 6X6 with a 30A plug for the current tt. then in the future all I will need to do is change out the breaker and the plug.

one eletrician says he will install a 50A wire and do the same thing for current use.

one eletrictrian says he will install a 30A wire with 30A breaker and plug in the remote box.

my question is what should I install for power cable, and how much amperage is going to be lost in the long power cable line at 100-120'

To address your question about amperage loss, it is actually the voltage loss that will occur over a long run that is critical. The electrician should be able to tell you what your voltage drop will be based on the length of your run and the current you want available at your camper. He should install a cable large enough to keep voltage drop below 3%.

I personally don’t see a need for a 50 amp service unless someone would be living in the camper. The cost difference of installing a 15 amp vs a 30 amp should not be that great, just the difference in the cost of the cable and the outlet box. The labor cost will be your largest cost and should be the same for either choice. Based on the minimal cost difference, I would go with the 30 amp install which would allow you to run the AC and the fridge without any issues.
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2017 GMC Sierra 1500 4X4, Max Tow Package w/6.2L
    INDIANAPOLIS, IN

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank You for your reply and advise, I think that is what I will do. I have the doggone already I bought one when I picked up our new TT.
    I'm not sure whom you are answering but if you click on "reply with Quote" in the lower right corner of a response it would be easier for the rest of us to follow.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    I'm not sure whom you are answering but if you click on "reply with Quote" in the lower right corner of a response it would be easier for the rest of us to follow.
    Sorry, I thought if I was on the persons response and hit reply it would go to that person.
    Hopefully I only replied to you this time.

Thanks for the schooling.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    You don't mention your reasons or intent for wanting a stand alone power outlet so I'll give some things to think about. Even if your TT service is 50 amp it will run everything just fine on a 30 amp hook up in most all cases. Trying to run two air conditioners at the same time or a residential 'fridge, microwave and an A/C unit all at once would probably would trip a breaker but nothing more. A 30 amp service is less costly as the wire size and box would be smaller and cost less. All you would need is a $20 dog bone adapter on your power cord.
    Are you looking to have power maybe to inhabit the trailer while parked? Or are you looking to keep things charged up and ready to prep when it's time to use it? If it's mostly stand by then a 120VAC outlet would do to charge your battery(ies) or even cool down the 'fridge. You might even think about a generator as a lower cost way to do it. If you would go that route you have a standby source in case you decide to take up dry camping.
    You need to determine what it is you want so you can lead the electrician instead of asking them to lead you.

We wanted a stand alone power source for using it at the house for ourselves and for guests, also to keep batteries charged and ready to prep for use.
    When we are not using the TT for a couple of weeks, I would probably just buy a battery tender, or a ground solar panel set up to keep the batteries charged up and shut the main disconnect off, and the TT closed up.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyHops View Post
    To address your question about amperage loss, it is actually the voltage loss that will occur over a long run that is critical. The electrician should be able to tell you what your voltage drop will be based on the length of your run and the current you want available at your camper. He should install a cable large enough to keep voltage drop below 3%.

I personally don’t see a need for a 50 amp service unless someone would be living in the camper. The cost difference of installing a 15 amp vs a 30 amp should not be that great, just the difference in the cost of the cable and the outlet box. The labor cost will be your largest cost and should be the same for either choice. Based on the minimal cost difference, I would go with the 30 amp install which would allow you to run the AC and the fridge without any issues.

Thank you for your reply.
    I will ask the electrician what the voltage drop will be with the wire they are suggesting.
    The only reason I stated I was going to install a 50A service was for the future and buying a 5th wheel which will require 50A / 240V

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    I wouldn’t bother with the 30A outlet. Get the 50 and use a dogbone for 30. You are going to want to carry one anyway.

Just be sure the electrician understands it’s a 4-wire circuit with a NEMA 14-50R receptacle.

Thank You for your reply and advise, I think that is what I will do. I have the dogbone already I bought one when I picked up our new TT.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your reply.
    I will ask the electrician what the voltage drop will be with the wire they are suggesting.
    The only reason I stated I was going to install a 50A service was for the future and buying a 5th wheel which will require 50A / 240V
    You may know this but just in case and to help you possibly avoid an unnecessarily high cost, your future 5th wheel doesn't "require" 50 amps unless you would like to run two AC units and several other items all at the same time. I think there might be a significant cost difference between the 30amp and a 50amp feed. Maybe get a quote for each and see if you think it is worth the additional cost.
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2017 GMC Sierra 1500 4X4, Max Tow Package w/6.2L
    INDIANAPOLIS, IN

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyHops View Post
    You may know this but just in case and to help you possibly avoid an unnecessarily high cost, your future 5th wheel doesn't "require" 50 amps unless you would like to run two AC units and several other items all at the same time. I think there might be a significant cost difference between the 30amp and a 50amp feed. Maybe get a quote for each and see if you think it is worth the additional cost.

Thanks for the info - I have gotten 1 quote from an electrician for installing each, and the cost is actually a minimal $ difference for the wire, the install costs are the same.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info - I have gotten 1 quote from an electrician for installing each, and the cost is actually a minimal $ difference for the wire, the install costs are the same.
    My dad used to say the longest way is the shortest way in the long run. I'd do the 50 and be done. Less than re-doing it later.
    Terry, Patty, Sophie (Great Pyrenees) and Tessa (German Shep/Pyr Mix)
    2020 Reflection 297RSTS
    2021 F-350 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW 6.75' bed /6.7L Diesel/3.55 electronic locking axle

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just make sure if you go with 30a the electrician knows it's not 240v, Residential electricians normally wire this size plug as 240 which would toast everything in your RV.
    2021 351MR
    2017 Jayco 377rlbh (sold)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast