User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Running power to rv at the house

I have a 2021 GD Imagine 2400 which is 30A.
    I have contacted several electricians and they are all telling me different things.
    What my set up looks like is:
    my tt is parked approx. 100' from the house, so I will need to run a wire approx. 100-120' long. I am also planning ahead for the future and a new 5th wheel in about 5-6 yrs.

one electrician says he will run 100A wire and install a 30A breaker in the panel, and install a box on a 6X6 with a 30A plug for the current tt. then in the future all I will need to do is change out the breaker and the plug.

one eletrician says he will install a 50A wire and do the same thing for current use.

one eletrictrian says he will install a 30A wire with 30A breaker and plug in the remote box.

my question is what should I install for power cable, and how much amperage is going to be lost in the long power cable line at 100-120'

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For 50A, you need a 120/240V 4-wire circuit. This gives you a 50A 240V circuit or two 50A 120V circuits. None of what you are reporting the electricians plan to do sounds right, though it may just be incomplete.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is one electricians proposal:

Install 1 240V 50A line underground between house and parking spot of rv. Install 6x6 PT post at same location, Install the underground wire in solid conduit(PVC), Install the line on a 30A 2 pole breaker, Install 1 30A rv outlet in a weather proof box on the pole.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This would accommodate my current 30A - 2021 GD Imagine 2400BH.
    I am guessing when I buy a new 5th wheel that will require 50A down the road , I will have to change out the breaker and the plug, the wire will already be run/installed to accommodate the 50A rv.

I have (2) electric panels installed in my house 200A & 100A Service
    Last edited by Dillon Ventures; 07-26-2020 at 08:39 PM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn’t bother with the 30A outlet. Get the 50 and use a dogbone for 30. You are going to want to carry one anyway.

Just be sure the electrician understands it’s a 4-wire circuit with a NEMA 14-50R receptacle.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put one of these in at my vacant lot were we were camping. https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-RV-Pa...32SS/203393689

It was a short run from breaker box so wiring materials was not expensive . It could accommodate either 50 or 30 amp RVs plus it gave me an additional 15 amp 120v outlet to plug in other devices like cordless battery chargers etc.

Last edited by Jerryr; 07-27-2020 at 12:29 AM.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you wanting to run AC, fridge, etc. while parked at the house? Or do you just need to keep your batteries topped off? If the latter, perhaps a heavy extension cord is good enough.
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillon Ventures View Post
    I have a 2021 GD Imagine 2400 which is 30A.
    I have contacted several electricians and they are all telling me different things.
    What my set up looks like is:
    my tt is parked approx. 100' from the house, so I will need to run a wire approx. 100-120' long. I am also planning ahead for the future and a new 5th wheel in about 5-6 yrs.

one electrician says he will run 100A wire and install a 30A breaker in the panel, and install a box on a 6X6 with a 30A plug for the current tt. then in the future all I will need to do is change out the breaker and the plug.

one eletrician says he will install a 50A wire and do the same thing for current use.

one eletrictrian says he will install a 30A wire with 30A breaker and plug in the remote box.

my question is what should I install for power cable, and how much amperage is going to be lost in the long power cable line at 100-120'
    You don't mention your reasons or intent for wanting a stand alone power outlet so I'll give some things to think about. Even if your TT service is 50 amp it will run everything just fine on a 30 amp hook up in most all cases. Trying to run two air conditioners at the same time or a residential 'fridge, microwave and an A/C unit all at once would probably would trip a breaker but nothing more. A 30 amp service is less costly as the wire size and box would be smaller and cost less. All you would need is a $20 dog bone adapter on your power cord.
    Are you looking to have power maybe to inhabit the trailer while parked? Or are you looking to keep things charged up and ready to prep when it's time to use it? If it's mostly stand by then a 120VAC outlet would do to charge your battery(ies) or even cool down the 'fridge. You might even think about a generator as a lower cost way to do it. If you would go that route you have a standby source in case you decide to take up dry camping.
    You need to determine what it is you want so you can lead the electrician instead of asking them to lead you.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    I wouldn’t bother with the 30A outlet. Get the 50 and use a dogbone for 30. You are going to want to carry one anyway.

Just be sure the electrician understands it’s a 4-wire circuit with a NEMA 14-50R receptacle.
    Excellent advice ^^^^^ The initial cost will be somewhat more than if you did a 30A service for the trailer, but if you are even thinking about a bigger trailer in the future...and it having a 50A service, probably less money that doing the 30A first, then having an Electrician come back at some point in the future and converting it to a 50A service. Do the 50A, use a dogbone to make it work for your current trailer.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillon Ventures View Post
    This would accommodate my current 30A - 2021 GD Imagine 2400BH.
    I am guessing when I buy a new 5th wheel that will require 50A down the road , I will have to change out the breaker and the plug, the wire will already be run/installed to accommodate the 50A rv.

I have (2) electric panels installed in my house 200A & 100A Service
    I would install the 50a circuit now and just use a 50a to 30a "Dog Bone" adapter for my current TT. This avoids two bills from the Electricians and also avoids a very common problem with getting your 30a plug wired up as a 220v "Dryer" outlet.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast