Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cherry Hill Park, Washington DC?

Is this a good campground to stay at while visiting DC? We're going to be there for the annual Cherry Blossom Festival this April. Any other parks to recommend instead?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Anxious to hear this as well. I have this on our list for our trip this fall. Seems perfectly situated for touring Washington DC with shuttles / buses right from the CG.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We stayed there in 2007. Once at the campground we never drove anywhere. There is a city bus that picks up at the campground entrance and drops you off at the subway station. You can then take the subway to the mall area. Since we spent as much time as possible in the capital area we did not see much of the campground. If going back we will likely stay there again.
    2015 F350 CC 4x4 KR High Capacity Tow Package
    2014 Momentum 355TH #770
    2014 Yamaha Adventurer 2+2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cherry Hill Park is a very nice campground. It is convenient to DC. We have stayed there twice, once in 2011 an last October.

George
    George and Connie
    Commerce City, CO
    Webpilot
    Solitude 380FL
    2014 Ram 3500 Dually
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

droidguru
    Cherry Hill is nice, not the best area in the world as far as safety but the park is "secluded" (I use that term loosely). Has shopping close by (Home Depot/Grocery etc.). It is probably your best choice as far as access. "Technically" (and I use that term loosely because I wouldn't want to do it) you could walk to the metro but it would be a haul again through a suspect area. That being said if you have a car the metro is only five mins tops and runs quite often, quick trip and takes you most places you want to go in DC (and some you don't).

If you want to stay a little further away there is Patapsco Valley State Park which would give you access to Baltimore and Annapolis with a little bit of a drive.

I have never been but there is apparently a DOD campground nestled right in Annapolis proper by the Naval Academy that gets bad/mixed reviews as it doesn't appear to be well kept (but again this is just from reading).

If you want to commute there are some really nice Campgrounds in Gettysburg and Harpers Ferry, but these are drives (approx 2 hours) to get into the city.

Hope that helps, there really aren't a lot of choices but if DC is your destination I would recommend Cherry Hill it is the best location-wise.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We stayed at Cherry Hill on the way home from the rally last year. There is a bus that will take you to the Metro, which is the best way to navigate DC. I thought the back in sites were larger than the pull through.

We have also stayed at Bull Run Regional Park, but from there you would have to drive to the metro

Kay & Dave - Virginia Beach, VA
    Golden Retriever Molly - Been swimming in 28 states
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    2019 GMC Denali CC/LB SRW
    Previous rig: 2014 Reflection 303RLS #314 and 2008 Silverado 2500 D/A

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cherry Hill is a nice RV park and the best place to stay while visiting DC. They had afternoon information sessions on how to use the Metro system for us neophytes to mass transpo. As said before, there is a bus stop inside the park and you really don't have to drive if you don't want to; although Baltimore is only a short distance away and they have a great waterfront/inner harbor with several museum ships and many restaurants. We enjoyed the "DC by Night" tour which leaves the park about 6:00 PM for a 2-1/2 hour tour of the monuments.
    Marvin & Marion
    2016 Reflection 303RLS
    2008 Ram 2500HD

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We stayed at Cherry Hill Christmas 2009. 2 days after their blizzard. Very nice park. Even in the dead of Winter.
    The bus and Metro was easily navigated, and like already been said you don't haveto drive anywhere.
    Would highly reccommend it and will return someday.
    Scott and Jan Platt Ocala, FL
    Cameron(Son) & Chica(chihuahua)
    2014 Reflection 337RLS
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 4X4, Crew Cab, Dually, Diesel
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input, we'll make our reservations for April 8th - ? whenever we feel like we've seen enough.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another park that you may want to check into would be Bull Run Regional Park in Fairfax county. It's roughly 30 miles west of DC off I-66, they have full hook ups and ones with electric only. If you do want to take the metro instead of driving into DC you can access at Vienna right off I-66. You also have Manassas National Battlefield Park just west of the regional park. Another option to going into DC would be to drive to Manassas and take the VRE in, my wife and I did this on a week day and it was a nice way to get in and out of DC. Only thing I would recommend if you did this would be to take the metro or walk to Union Station to ride the VRE back, it gets crowded with commuters after Union Station. By the way the VRE only runs on week days