User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The custom made dirt bike tie-down system is finished. It cost me $150 in materials, and a little labor to assemble it all. And this is to tie down 4 dirt bikes in two rows in our Momentum 21G. I like this system better than what "Bolt It On" came up with. Bolt It On is way too expensive, requires you to purchase expensive add-ons for additional bikes, and still requires you to use tie-down straps on the front forks. Here is something much better:

1) Purchase 2x2 steel posts (8 ft lengths) on Amazon for $46. These posts are very strong, and are perforated with holes the entire length of the post, allowing you to put an eye-bolt or J-bolt anywhere:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2) Cut the posts to desired length (miter saw works best)
    3) Purchase (2) 1/2" J bolts per post to attach each end of the post to your existing tie down anchors in the toy hauler. You will have to enlarge two of the existing holes in the post to 1/2", since they are 7/16" holes.
    4) Purchase as many 3/8 x 2.5" eye-bolts as you need, which will be used as your anchor points for the dirt bike foot pegs. Of course this is highly configurable on the fly, because there are holes the entire length of the post.
    5) Purchase chain and quick-connects that will go from eye-bolts to the dirt bike foot pegs.
    6) You can use left-overs from what you cut off the post as the supports for the post, which will be mounted close to where the toy hauler anchor tie-downs are (see pictures).
    7) Good idea to add a felt bottom to the post support to avoid scratching your floor
    8) Assemble everything, locating supports and eye-bolts where needed.
    9) load your bikes by simply pushing them right over the tied down posts (much easier than trying to tie down the posts after the bikes are in).

Pictures of this system and all other mods are here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zTzcnSG23NwojJZT7
    Last edited by VicKurt; 08-07-2020 at 10:30 AM.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The last few planned mods to our 21G are complete:
    1) Added external storage above propane tanks by adding the Stromberg trailer tray (https://www.campingworld.com/trailer...ier-70918.html) and mounting a large toolbox on it (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). I shortened the height of the tray 7.5 inches so it looks more natural, plus easier to get into the toolbox. Very easy to still get the propane tanks out. Simply replace the rivets holding the 2 halves of the plastic cover together with wing bolts/nuts. Remove the wing bolts and rear portion of the plastic cover to get to the tanks. (See pictures)

2) Added U-shaped brackets (with felt pads) and bungee cords to hold folded mattress in place when travelling. No need to drill or mount anything in your bedroom.

All pictures are here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/zTzcnSG23NwojJZT7
    Last edited by VicKurt; 08-11-2020 at 03:18 PM.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great ideas and good job on your mods, I own a 29G and will definitely use a few of your ideas as they are needed. Question: how much hose did you use to re- route the drainage?
    Really like the peg boards!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Great ideas and good job on your mods, I own a 29G and will definitely use a few of your ideas as they are needed. Question: how much hose did you use to re- route the drainage?
    Really like the peg boards!
    Thanks for the compliment, and glad someone else can use these mods.

Not sure if you are asking about the drain in the water station, or the hose drain added to the rain spout, so I'll answer both

I added a picture of the drain hose coming out of the water station (same link as above). I drilled a hole, pushed the drain hose through, and of course glued/sealed it on both ends.

For the 1" hose attached to the gutter extension, it is 8 ft long (whatever length Menards had), and I use these suction cups to hold the hose onto the front of the camper so it is out of the way:

Good luck with your mods!

P.S.
    For the peg boards, I used these, which stay in the peg board very well. I bent them up 90 degrees so things don't slide off them.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VicKurt, thanks for the clarification on all and for the links.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi - not trying to be lazy, but do you have a parts list for your exhaust kit?

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The long exhaust "stack" is nothing more than standard 4" x 5 ft vent pipe you can get at any hardware store (you'll need 2 of those, $15 each at Menards):

https://www.menards.com/main/heating...625-c-9462.htm

The rest is also available from any hardware store:
    - 2 U-clamps
    - flat iron
    - C-channel iron (to hang over the rain spout)
    - Furniture slider felt pads to protect camper paint (for flat iron that leans against camper, and C-channel)
    - Flat aluminum (bends easily to attach small pipe to vent)
    - 8 Bolts for attaching flat aluminum
    - EMT 45 degree elbow (exhaust coming out of generator is about 45 degrees from being parallel with the camper side)
    - EMT Coupler(s)
    - EMT pipe to extend away from slide (if needed)
    - EMT 90 degree elbow

If you have a welder, it works great to weld the U-bolts directly to the two pieces of metal (as shown in pictures). Also, the gap between the two different diameters should equal the diameter of the smaller pipe.
    Last edited by VicKurt; 09-09-2020 at 08:01 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Vickurt. My assume is the vent tube remains cool since it’s mixing with the fresh air. I’ve seen some use 3” PCV but like the idea of the metal vent.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Meyerz21G View Post
    Thanks Vickurt. My assume is the vent tube remains cool since it’s mixing with the fresh air. I’ve seen some use 3” PCV but like the idea of the metal vent.
    Yes, the vent tube is much cooler than the exhaust pipe. The vent tube will get fairly warm after running for a long time, but it is not scorching hot like the smaller exhaust tube. That smaller exhaust gets so hot that I am considering adding a custom made heat shield around it to prevent someone from accidentally burning themselves.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice mods! I just picked up my 21G and look forward to using your great ideas. Couple of questions:

How did you attached the pegboard in the storage area and ensure that the screws did not penetrate through into the closet?
    What size screen defender fits the door?

Thanks for the great ideas!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast