User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chevrolet Tahoe as Tow Vehicle for XLS 22MLE

I'm considering the XLS 22MLE and have a Tahoe 5.3L, 3:42, with tow package and was wondering if anyone is using this specific SUV for towing the XLS line, specifically the XLS 22 MLE and if this setup is satisfactory with a proper WD hitch (UVW 5,176 LBS). Also, I live in CO, so altitude and grades are a consideration. Tow capacity is approx. 6,700 lbs adjusted for payload. My plan was to keep the gross trailer weight under 6,000 lbs. The XLS 17MKE is also an option, but would be my second choice.

Secondly, as I understand it, the stated tow capacity (8,200 lbs) has to be reduced by the vehicle payload (1,500 lbs for the Tahoe) to arrive at the amount of weight I can tow, without exceeding my payload, GVWR and GCVWR. I believe that's how tow capacity is determined.

Thanks.
    Last edited by dwhitez28; 07-27-2020 at 03:49 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I CAT scaled our 22mle, trailer weight was 5580, tongue weight was 660 (one group 24 battery, 2 20lb LP tanks about 2/3rds full, Andersen WDH which weighs less than 60 total). We’ve learned to pack pretty light and never carry water in fresh tank. If we need it we fill up at destination.

Look at your SUV’s ratings for payload, GVWR, GCWR, GAWR (mainly rear axle), and curb weight.

Payload heading out to camp will be the combined weight of driver, passenger(s), gear, tools, food, plus the tongue weight of the trailer in the SUV. How does that compare against the sticker on driver’s door for cargo carrying capacity? Full tank of gas is assumed.

Having said all of that, towing steep grades will be a challenge with your SUV and the 22mle. Prior to my current setup we towed with a 03’ Toyota Sequoia 4.7L, 4x4, 4:10 rear. Trailer was about 4700-4800 loaded for camping. It did fine in MD, PA, & VA but struggled in the mountains of WV.
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“Secondly, as I understand it, the stated tow capacity (8,200 lbs) has to be reduced by the vehicle payload (1,500 lbs for the Tahoe) to arrive at the amount of weight I can tow, without exceeding my payload, GVWR and GCVWR. I believe that's how tow capacity is determined.”

I think you have this a little confused. The weight of everything in your truck, people, things, dogs, hitch, and tongue weight is not to exceed your payload as listed on the door sticker. This will keep you at your GVWR. Tow capacity is a separate rating and you GVW of the trailer should not exceed the tow rating. Usually you will exceed payload first. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tortise; 07-28-2020 at 08:56 AM.
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, yes the "towing capacity" is confusing to me. Chevrolet says tow capacity is 8,200 lbs, but I believe that's based on curb weight of vehicle with no payload. So if I'm carrying 1,000 lbs of payload (rated 1,500 lbs) then actual tow capacity is 7,200. Correct?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t own a Curt weight distribution hitch but I think this towing capacity guide is very informative. Take a few minutes to get acquainted with the different terms.

PS - may need to scroll up a little to get to top of page once you go to the link

https://www.curtmfg.com/towing-capacity#GVWR
    Last edited by Tigger1; 07-28-2020 at 11:00 AM.
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dwhitez28 View Post
    Thank you, yes the "towing capacity" is confusing to me. Chevrolet says tow capacity is 8,200 lbs, but I believe that's based on curb weight of vehicle with no payload. So if I'm carrying 1,000 lbs of payload (rated 1,500 lbs) then actual tow capacity is 7,200. Correct?
    I’ve not heard anyone express it that way. Tow rating is much more complicated and dependent on many factors and only in recent years had a standard. I would subtract my actual GVW from GCVWR and use that or the listed tow rating whichever is less as my upper limit of trailer weight.Does that make sense?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tortise; 07-28-2020 at 11:06 AM.
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it does. Thanks for the clarification.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was towing a 4400 lb Surveyor with a 2008 Suburban 5.3 liter. Book said max tow weight was 7900 lbs. Did OK on flat ground and I did tow it to the Blue Ridge mountains more than once up on the parkway actually. When coming out of Franklin NC to Chattanooga TN and going across the continental divide I could not get over it in 2nd gear and kept dropping to 1st gear and RPMs going up to 4000 and when it shifted back to 2nd it started slowing up.
    My 2008 had a 4 speed transmission with same 3.42 diff., but it had a 8.5 in ring gear and the diff ran very hot when towing a long distance. I know the newer 1500 trucks have a bigger ring gear and unless you have a 6 speed transmission you will be disappointed.
    Make a long story short I traded the Suburban in on a Ram 2500 Turbo Diesel and traded the camper in on a Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS with dry weight a little over 8000 lbs. With the truck going over the same pass is piece of cake. Goes over in 4th gear.
    When I was towing with the 5.3 liter Suburban it always felt like I was towing a house on the Interstate. Back roads at 45 mph was easy.
    I would say if just occasional use and not long hauls you would be OK. Probably OK especially with a 6 speed or more transmission.
    The truck has so much more torque that it wants to tow at 75 mph but that is too fast anyway.
    Anyway that is my experience with a 5.5 liter Suburban. The tongue weight was not an issue but the trailer was only 4400 lbs and never had issue with sway, etc. The problem was simply power. The highest altitude I towed at was little over 4000 feet. One time with a 3800 lb trailer at little over 6000 feet on the parkways highest point.
    Last edited by lesagel; 07-31-2020 at 04:04 PM.