User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Melted Trim Strips

I have a 2020 Solidude 344GK. There is a small “rain gutter” strip that runs the length of the RV along the top of each side attached with screws every 10 inches or so. There is a plastic trim strip that fits into slots on the strip that covers the screws. I live in Arizona and it gets hot. This week the plastic trim strip came loose as I was driving the RV and was hanging off the rig on both sides. It apparently got so hot that it softened enough to become detached. It’s still under warranty so the dealer is replacing it. Has anyone else had this happen?

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those vinyl insert strips have been around for decades with probably thousands of feet lost to UV degradation and loss just as you've experienced. Save your sanity and consider these a regular maintenance item in your climate. Huge coils of it are fairly inexpensive (for the future when warranty doesn't cover it).
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Those vinyl insert strips have been around for decades with probably thousands of feet lost to UV degradation and loss just as you've experienced. Save your sanity and consider these a regular maintenance item in your climate. Huge coils of it are fairly inexpensive (for the future when warranty doesn't cover it).
    Thanks. Learning something new daily. I’ll get a big coil of it. One more thing to keep up with. Thanks again.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same thing happened to me this week while driving to Oregon. 2020 Momentum and both sides front to rear came out of the track as well as one of the front pieces. I placed the front one back in the track twice and it just came out again; ended up having to cut them off mid-trip. These really should be thicker so 100 degrees doesn't cause them to fail. Embarrassing to me personally and the brand to be driving down the freeway with trim flapping in the wind...

2020 Grand Design Momentum 349M, MORryde 8K IS, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Goodyear G114 17.5" Tires, 1280W Solar w/600AH Battle Born Batteries
    2019 Ford F350 Platinum
    2014 Polaris UTV
    USAF Retired