User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sway issues - Equial-i-zer hitch

I've been experiencing some fairly significant sway with my RV that appears to have gotten worse the last couple times we've used it. F150 max trailer package/ecoboost as tow vehicle and grand design 2800bh for RV.

Something I've noticed on the Equal-i-zer hitch is that the spring arms/WD arms, seem to swing side to side much easier than when I first purchased the hitch. I've tightened the bolts on the hitch and also found the specs to call for a minimum of 45 ft-lbs of torque when tightening. I didn't have one so I ordered a torque wrench to ensure I have the proper torque on the bolts and will see if it helps much next time we use the RV.

My question is, has anyone else ever noticed this happening and find significant improvement in sway control by tightening these bolts? Trying to guesstimate how much improvement I might find before our next haul.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your final adjustments to an Equal-i-zer have to be made when you're fully loaded for camping. Also, everything sets in 500-1000 miles as you polish the paint off the bars and saddles. I'm quite certain if you go to a scale, you'll find serious adjustment is needed. We towed several trailers with the Equal-i-zer setup and they were enjoyable. That said, don't lose sight that your TV is fairly light and your camper long, tall and somewhere around 7K...
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania